Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Politics

Post by flyingember »

DColeKC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:50 pm
Who the hell plans for a pandemic?
Look at the title and date

https://hbr.org/2006/05/preparing-for-a-pandemic

If you don't want to be taken as ignorant and confrontational, start spending 60 seconds to do some basic research.
I'm sure in September of 2020 new business applicants were high. Everyone trying to profit off the pandemic and likely not a great long-term business plan. People jumping in the WFH game overestimating the amount of people who will forever WFH after the pandemic.
Do you really think all new jobs target work from home? Major companies like Target are renovating stores during the pandemic to change how they do business.

Again, you're making an argument that makes you look ignorant. People should be trying to profit off the pandemic. That's kind of the point of capitalism.

Expecting all businesses to last defeats the purpose of taking a risk for short term gain.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

im2kull wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:07 pmAs someone who directly supervises a variety of people in the United States, I'd say that the percentage of people who are simply lazy and would rather collect COVID unemployment than work is likely 40%+ of all 16-25 year olds. I imagine a bit less with each older generation, but the entitlement generation are called the entitlement generation for a reason. It's not rocket science.
Beyond your anecdotal account, what sources do you have to support that? If it's not rocket science, I'd expect a lot of easily understandable data to back up such a serious claim.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:12 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:50 pm
Who the hell plans for a pandemic?
Look at the title and date

https://hbr.org/2006/05/preparing-for-a-pandemic

If you don't want to be taken as ignorant and confrontational, start spending 60 seconds to do some basic research.
I'm sure in September of 2020 new business applicants were high. Everyone trying to profit off the pandemic and likely not a great long-term business plan. People jumping in the WFH game overestimating the amount of people who will forever WFH after the pandemic.
Do you really think all new jobs target work from home? Major companies like Target are renovating stores during the pandemic to change how they do business.

Again, you're making an argument that makes you look ignorant. People should be trying to profit off the pandemic. That's kind of the point of capitalism.

Expecting all businesses to last defeats the purpose of taking a risk for short term gain.
Lol. I asked some honest questions to try and better my understanding and I'm just making an argument? I do research almost every time before I hit respond. Personal point of pride actually.

I think you're confusing ignorance with disagreement. Just because I don't agree with you, doesn't make me ignorant or you the authority.

What's ignorant is assuming my one example of working from home was me implying that's ALL THE NEW JOBS. Sorry, not ignorant, that's just stupid.

I also never said people shouldn't be trying to profit off the pandemic. I am saying that many of those startups will flame out sooner than later when the pandemic becomes clearly in the rearview mirror. A friend of mine started a chemical cleaning products company during the pandemic, that's an example of a smart move. Clearly, there will be demand far into the future. A plexiglass shield company, no longevity. These are just a few examples and are not meant to represent all the types of businesses created in or around September 2020. Just putting that disclaimer in there your small brain.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DColeKC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:33 pmJust putting that disclaimer in there your small brain.
DColeKC’s famous politeness on display
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:35 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:33 pmJust putting that disclaimer in there your small brain.
Yep, it's the famous snowflake reply.

He has really thin skin.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

DColeKC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:10 am
phuqueue wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:00 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:05 pm

You have no concerns about the companies who can't meet demand right now despite raised wages and sign on bonuses? I understand what you're saying but the negative impact on the economy isn't great. It is shitty that it took a pandemic and trillions of federal dollars to force some industries to increase wages.
I can safely say I have never been concerned for a company
I can believe that. Even though many of these companies are owned and ran by people you claim to care so much about.
Good point, I can't believe that until this very moment I had never thought about the fundamental humanity of capitalists before
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

flyingember wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:33 pm
Yep, it's the famous snowflake reply.

He has really thin skin.
You had two chances to respond politely. You first told me I don't know anything about economics, I respond politely and explain I'm sincerely asking questions and your next response is that I'm ignorant. So yeah, I tried and if you wanted to be treated like the little bitch you are, that's cool with me. I can do that. I was trying to have a serious conversation and maybe learn something.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

How am I supposed to respond to being told I'm ignorant and that I don't understand basic economics? It's obvious a few people just can't have a serious conversation with me on here. I'm cool with that. Go take some photos of union station or something.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:25 pm
im2kull wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:07 pmAs someone who directly supervises a variety of people in the United States, I'd say that the percentage of people who are simply lazy and would rather collect COVID unemployment than work is likely 40%+ of all 16-25 year olds. I imagine a bit less with each older generation, but the entitlement generation are called the entitlement generation for a reason. It's not rocket science.
Beyond your anecdotal account, what sources do you have to support that? If it's not rocket science, I'd expect a lot of easily understandable data to back up such a serious claim.
Do you ever offer input or do you always just question others input? I can't remember seeing anything from you that's enlightening or even represents a basic opinion. Yet, you're quick to question anyone who says something disagreeable.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DColeKC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:36 pmGo take some photos of union station or something.

Good talk.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:04 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:36 pmGo take some photos of union station or something.

Good talk.
Oh, sorry. Didn’t know you wanted to talk. Looking forward to your next photo dump.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Dude, get a fucking grip and stop being so sensitive and awful or I'm just going to ban you. I've tried very hard to be understanding and reasonable for years at this point, but you can't seem to handle adult interaction.

If someone accuses you of ignorance and questions your understanding of economics, you prove them wrong by demonstrating that you aren't ignorant and that you do understand economics. What you don't do is prove them right by shitting your pants over it and acting like a baby.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mean wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:37 am Dude, get a fucking grip and stop being so sensitive and awful or I'm just going to ban you. I've tried very hard to be understanding and reasonable for years at this point, but you can't seem to handle adult interaction.

If someone accuses you of ignorance and questions your understanding of economics, you prove them wrong by demonstrating that you aren't ignorant and that you do understand economics. What you don't do is prove them right by shitting your pants over it and acting like a baby.
I like being proven wrong, I learn new things from it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:37 am Dude, get a fucking grip and stop being so sensitive and awful or I'm just going to ban you. I've tried very hard to be understanding and reasonable for years at this point, but you can't seem to handle adult interaction.

I thought this was the politics section where things got a bit more rowdy. If you want to ban me, go for it. It’s ironic others can get their panties in a wad and say whatever they please about me but I’m the sensitive one. Fuck, some of these threads go weeks without any new posts and I say something and get two pages worth of back and forth in a day.

Someone calling another person ignorant, snowflake or baby is cool, but me calling them a bitch isn’t. Got it! Ban me and refund my money.

Ironic I’m being called a snowflake and being threatened with a ban when banning someone who doesn’t go with the flow seems like the baby move to me.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The problem is that while I am annoyed by some others quickness to jump to "OMG U R NAZI" or whatever, you are can be worse as an individual than all of the others collectively. Just chill.

Edited for fairness.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

What where we having a discussion about? When back pages.

Was it bank robbers refusing to take off masks?
No wait.. missing forks at whitehouse...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DColeKC wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:32 pm
mean wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:01 pm He doesn't know, he said he doesn't know. The point isn't to establish that this is a significant problem, because the experts are pretty clear that it probably isn't. I'm not really sure what the point is. Resentment about the likely small percentage of people not going to work because they make more on UI is in there, but more than anything I think the point is to question "experts" because they don't "know stuff" the way he does. I mean, come on, it's Trumpian tactics writ small on an irrelevant internet forum.
I don’t claim to know more than the experts. They make their statements based off data, research and a bit of politics. How exactly do you find out what percentage of people are simply holding out because they don’t want to work? I’d assume you can find some hard data on lack of child care but I hardly think polls and questionnaires should act as scientific data when trying to find out why people refuse to return the work. Like I’ve said, you’re not going to find a bunch of idiots willing to check the, “just don’t want to work” box when, “I’m afraid of Covid” is an option that half the country will allow you to use despite access to vaccines.

I just find it odd that what the Democrats claim as reasons don’t match up with the people I’ve talked to. I’m not saying my experience should be held in higher regard than a research study, just explaining my situation and reality.

‘It’s a minefield’: US restaurant workers leave industry over Covid

Workers cite exploitative practices and lack of Covid safety protections as some employers and officials claim unemployment benefits deter people from returning to work

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... 1620990485
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kansas City foots the bill for rural areas, but GOP politicians ignore urban concerns
Federal taxpayers pour hundreds of billions of dollars into rural areas every year — from farm subsidies to Medicare to food stamps to education benefits. Rural states such as Missouri get far more federal benefits than they pay in taxes, studies show: In 2019, for example, the average Missourian got $3,837 more in federal goodies than he or she paid in taxes.

Moreover, city dwellers provide the funds for public projects in rural areas. Who subsidizes rural broadband? City folks, that’s who. Who pays for highways? Cities, mostly. “Prosperity in cities and metropolitan areas effectively subsidizes public investments in rural areas,” the Brookings Institution says.

“Kansas City and St. Louis pay the bills in this state,” current state Sen. John Rizzo said several years ago. “But our voices fall on deaf ears when it comes to making the laws of this state.”
In ways large and small, rural legislators in Missouri spend most of their careers imposing their views and values on cities, taking urban resources but rarely giving back.

Missouri controls the Kansas City Police Department, and wants to expand that influence. It refuses to allow Kansas City to enact gun laws relevant to urban needs. Rural voters insisted Kansas Citians vote every five years on renewing our 1% earnings tax.
Nowhere is this imbalance clearer than on the issue of Medicaid expansion. Incredibly, some rural lawmakers said this year they wouldn’t pay for the expansion that voters overwhelmingly approved because their rural constituents voted against it. Apparently, in Missouri, rural votes count more than urban votes.
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/edit ... rylink=cpy
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Judge orders Missouri Medicaid expansion enrollment must begin immediately.

Judge: MO HealthNet must enroll all eligible under Medicaid expansion
Cole County Circuit Judge Jon E. Beetum — who initially ruled Medicaid expansion to be unconstitutional, only to have the Missouri Supreme Court reverse his decision — issued an order Tuesday that bars Missouri from prohibiting newly eligible individuals from signing up for MO HealthNet.

Beetum’s order also prohibits the state “from imposing any greater or additional burdens or restrictions on eligibility or enrollment standards, methodologies, or practices on individuals” covered by Medicaid expansion.
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ju ... -expansion
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The consolidation of the country into cities continues

https://www.census.gov/library/visualiz ... ation.html

In Kansas 25 counties didn’t shrink, 80 shrunk for sure
In Missouri 36 didn’t shrink, 78 shrunk for sure.

Redistricting will skew towards cities, even gerrymandering.