OFFICIAL: Briarcliff Village

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Briarcliff Village

Post by KCPowercat »

There was no bashing.....I just asked what the critera was for grouping people together into a "crowd".

Trust me, I don't 'sit behind the keyboard' anywhere....that's what seemed a little offensive....it seemed you were infuring I spend all my time typing, not out and about...which couldn't be further from the truth.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCPowercat wrote: There was no bashing.....I just asked what the critera was for grouping people together into a "crowd".

Trust me, I don't 'sit behind the keyboard' anywhere....that's what seemed a little offensive....it seemed you were infuring I spend all my time typing, not out and about...which couldn't be further from the truth.
As I've written before, please try to read my words without your spin on them. I'm pretty straightforward-I'm not well known for "inferring" things. I pretty much say what I feel in black and white.

As for sitting behind a keyboard, don't we all?

As for "offensive"-there are a lot of things here that are "offensive" to me and I'm sure all the others have things that are "offensive" to them. Sorry my words offended you.
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

nota wrote: I know people who would go at 3:30 or so to Happy Hour at Red Star just to hold down a table till the other members of their group could get there.
Next time you see these folks, tell them to get a life.  Or better yet, how about some taste?  Red Star was just plain awful.  The food and drinks sucked and the staff were assholes.  Thank God it is gone. 
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

TheNorthlander wrote: Next time you see these folks, tell them to get a life.  Or better yet, how about some taste?  Red Star was just plain awful.  The food and drinks sucked and the staff were assholes.  Thank God it is gone.   
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

We went there once. Our favorite place is Hereford House Happy Hour. But it is embarrassing when the bartenders know you by name :oops:
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

nota wrote: Our favorite place is Hereford House Happy Hour.
Yes, yes!!
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

TheNorthlander wrote: Yes, yes!!
SHHHHHH!!!! It is becoming too crowded already :lol:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You guys should really be thankfull I post all of these photos on here ;).

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Looking very nice.  Thanks for that.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Urban Arts & Crafts in the River Market is moving to Briarcliff.

Grid, thanks for the pics!
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Those condo buildings remind of the highly criticized condo buildings in the forum about downtown Charlotte.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Great Pics.  What is truly amazing is that so much land was available for a rather suburban-like development so close to DT Kansas City in the 21st century. 
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Highlander wrote: Great Pics.  What is truly amazing is that so much land was available for a rather suburban-like development so close to DT Kansas City in the 21st century. 
That is a good point. Why was this land so close to downtown vacant for so long?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

justin8216 wrote: That is a good point. Why was this land so close to downtown vacant for so long?
Probably because the topography is pretty hilly and it's fairly isolated between so many highways.

BTW, Justin you're posting the KCMO threads again, what gives?
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

My response has been split off, so thanks again Grid I do appreciate the photos, you are awesome. :D

The reason i was told that this area had not developed sooner is party due to the hilly terrain and also because it had limited access before the Briarcliff Pkwy interchange.  This is a tif district and most of the (tif bond) revenue was used to build the interchange.  According to my buddy who use to work in the city planning department, the tif revenue has not been enough to cover interest on the bonds issued to build the interchange and Garney +/or Briarcliff Development has been eating a significant deficit for several years.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Appraiser wrote: the tif revenue has not been enough to cover interest on the bonds issued to build the interchange and Garney +/or Briarcliff Development has been eating a significant deficit for several years.
They were probably planning on sales tax from the retail development to pay back the TIF, and the retail is several years behind schedule.  Now that Briarcliff Village is opening they should have enough income to pay back the TIF.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

justin8216 wrote: Those condo buildings remind of the highly criticized condo buildings in the forum about downtown Charlotte.
Not even close. The ones in Charlotte looked like converted LaQuintas.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Most of this area was a brownfield and needed to be reclaimed.  The hills were honeycombed with limestone mines accesed from the hwy 9 side.  All of that had to be stabilized before anything could be built.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

moderne wrote:    Most of this area was a brownfield and needed to be reclaimed.  The hills were honeycombed with limestone mines accesed from the hwy 9 side.  All of that had to be stabilized before anything could be built.
Brownfield? So it was environmentally contaminated ground? And now they have million dollar houses. Wow!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Briarcliff was *not* a brownfield.  Brownfields are generally defined as derelict industrial sites requiring environmental remediation.  Briarcliff had no existing development.  All it had was challenging topography.  Terraforming is completely different from brownfield reclamation.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There was existing development in the form of mines.  It was not virgin hillsides.