OFFICIAL: Briarcliff Village

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL: Briarcliff Village

Post by FangKC »

The 250-room hotel at Briarcliff Village is set to open in late 2009, and will run under the Marriott Renaissance flag.

Friday, December 7, 2007

Briarcliff's $50M plan includes hotel, office building

Kansas City Business Journal
Jim Davis
A Kansas City developer expects to open the area's first Marriott Renaissance Hotel in late 2009 in Briarcliff. The $50 million-plus project aims to accentuate the Northland development's upscale appeal.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... tory2.html
There is no fifth destination.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i wish there was an Undo button for this.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DaveKCMO wrote: i wish there was an Undo button for this.
yea, and that hotel (and offices etc) would not be downtown if it didn't go to briarcliff (maybe 435 & metcalf), but not downtown. I still think Briarcliff has been a great project and has done far more by helping take a nasty area of kcmo's suburban northland and putting it in a possition to compete with joco (again, much more than downtown).
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DaveKCMO wrote: i wish there was an Undo button for this.
You and me both, this tower just screwed up my best asset in the metro area.

damn...I wonder how some of those homeowners aren't pissed, it completely screws up their views they paid for.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Now they get to look at other people enjoying their old view.  :P
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

yeah i would be pissed. that pretty much sucks. Ate at the pastry goddess there...its incredible. best tart ive ever had. Also went to Green Acres...got a nice medium cup of soup at the deli..didnt pay attention  to the price. Thought it would probably be 4-5 bucks. 8dollars! wtf? for a little cup of soup probably the size of a soup can.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Took a jaunt across the river this morning to go to Briarcliff.  The primary objective was to chauffer some ladies to Nell Hill's.  We showed up around 11:00 and it was packed -- especially Nell Hill's, but the entire parking lot.  Nell Hill's was crazy.  I'd be hard pressed to find something in that store that I liked if a gun was held to my head, but she obviously has quite a following.  Very much like Webster House, but less antiquey.

After that we walked around to some of the other shops.  Went in L&L Home to look at more stuff.  We spoke to one of the owners who said that his business has increased noticably since Nell Hill's opened up last November.  Stopped in Pastry Goddess for a little snack a bit after that.  Same thing - he had to steal tables and chairs from another location to accomodate the crowds since NH came in.

He also noted that the Pastry Goddess has opened up the Mulberry Creamery next to Latte Land.  It features ice cream made with all natural Shatto's milk.  In addition to the frozen treats, they also have a few sandwiches and other things to eat.

Love it or hate it, Briarcliff appears to be prospering.  Lots of JO plates in the lot, so it's got quite a draw from beyond the immediate vicinity.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wish they had a bookstore there.  If we get one downtown though, I'll be happy.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I will not lie. I like the tenant mix at Briarcliff. I could bring my mom in from out of town and I think she'd love the mix as it isn't what you see in every suburb. Green Acres should build a larger store and the space should be used for a new Rainy Day Books. Highwoods needs to take some notes.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I even like the architecture of the place.  It looks great lit up during the holidays.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I like the architecture of it, too - I like the whole development, actually, although I wish it had gone more with the original designs that made it more italian.  Also think it's great for the surrounding neighborhoods.

Nell Hill's has some nice things for the home with price points across the board - should keep a few folks from making the drive all the way to Atchison.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

The "architecture"???

It's plastic, no different than many strip malls. Only diff is that it isn't in a strip format.

Tuileries is a bit more "architectural" and it has few tenants.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

they have a really lame slogan. "come to briarcliff village, chances are it just might be the high point of your day" LAME

Take in the "new" view of downtown. What the hell is "new" about it?
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

nota wrote: The "architecture"???

It's plastic, no different than many strip malls. Only diff is that it isn't in a strip format.

Tuileries is a bit more "architectural" and it has few tenants.
yawn.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

justin8216 wrote: they have a really lame slogan. "come to briarcliff village, chances are it just might be the high point of your day" LAME

Take in the "new" view of downtown. What the hell is "new" about it?
The fact that there is a 14 story briarcliff montrosity playing front center stage?

(aka..you can no longer see most of DT from the village)
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

biz journal reports:
Briarcliff Development Co. recently bought the Ravello site back from The Pauls Corp. of Denver and now seeks city approval for five apartment buildings housing 280 luxury units in place of six scuttled condo structures.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

The company I work for has rented the entire 8th floor of the new office building there in Briarcliff.  I got a tour of it last Thursday and took some cell phone pics.  Half our office is scheduled to move on August 8th, and my half will be moving on August 15th.

http://gallery.me.com/dougcpa#100335
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

SWFan wrote: The company I work for has rented the entire 8th floor of the new office building there in Briarcliff.  I got a tour of it last Thursday and took some cell phone pics.  Half our office is scheduled to move on August 8th, and my half will be moving on August 15th.

http://gallery.me.com/dougcpa#100335
thanks for sharing! where are you moving from?
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

We're currently in an office building just north of Tiffany Springs on Prairie View Road.  There are two ground-level office buildings up there, one houses a whole bunch of military recruiting offices, the one to the north of that building is where we're currently located.  A church moved in right next to us.  We're pretty cramped in that space, so the Briarcliff location is going to be a big change.  Unfortunately the move will take my daily commute from being about 5 minutes of no-traffic back-road driving to rush hour I-29 traffic of about 15 minutes.  I've driven it daily before and its not too bad if there are no accidents or construction.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

The last group of us moved in yesterday afternoon and this morning into the new Briarcliff office building.  Parts of the building common areas are still under construction so all of the elevators have foam board protecting the walls and floors in them, and all the marble floors on the lower-level have sheet rock laid down to walk on.  Our floor just has minor things they are still working on.  I'm sure we'll be dealing with work crews for the next month as various tenants begin to move in.

I took my good camera with me this morning to take some photo's, which you can see here, http://gallery.me.com/dougcpa#100393