Oak Park Mall

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Oak Park Mall

Post by mgsports »

Yes that. Also Star did a story on the Mall and a Cupcake place opening next to Nordstroms and Wonders has opened.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

mgsports wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:33 pm Yes that. Also Star did a story on the Mall and a Cupcake place opening next to Nordstroms and Wonders has opened.
And people thought the mall was doomed due to all the shootings and Nordstrom's move...
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Swarovski closed without having a sale, as did Abercrombie kids, and lady footlocker. The lady at Sarausky who commented on the rumor hinted that Microsoft, Lego, coach, White House Black Market, Abercrombie, Hollister, and lush are looking for a way out. Hollister is opening a store at legends and it sounds like the Oak Park Mall one was not do you and worthy of renovations. Abercrombie has a tentative store slated for BluHawk. Microsoft was supposed to move to Corbin Park phase 2, but that never happened. Charlotte Russe is coming back though and Payless Superstore is becoming a Shoe Dept. Enc. store. The gelato place closed and management patched the floor really well, but the carpet upstairs by JCP has been terrible for some time.

Despite all that, the mall is still in much better shape then Zona Rosa or Independence Center.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I can't imagine Dillard's holding on to both north and south spaces much longer.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Oak Park Mall Update

Post by mgsports »

Lots of places rumored for Bluhawk.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:12 am I can't imagine Dillard's holding on to both north and south spaces much longer.
They have very few doubleheader operations left anywhere in the country. A lot of the brands that are disappearing from the women’s store we pulled out of independence years ago and Zona Rosa a couple years after it opened. With Payless Supposedly re-opening a corporate headquarters in Lawrence, I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw the Oak Park store return in a different spot.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

empires228 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:47 pm The lady at Sarausky who commented on the rumor hinted that Microsoft, Lego, coach, White House Black Market, Abercrombie, Hollister, and lush are looking for a way out.
There are very few things I’d ever consider myself an expert in, but the complex economics of the sale of legos is one thing that definitely plays into my wheel house. Lego has shown strong positive growth and has been on of very few toy companies to actually be drastically increasing sales and brick and mortar stores in the budding digital age. All of that prefacing the point that they currently sit in the most prime of locations for the KC metro Lego market. I’m extremely doubtful as to the validity of the claim that they’d be looking to relocate, seeing as their core age range is more than abundant in this area, as well as the ever growing AFOL community of the area.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

I was rather impressed that Oak Park Mall is getting (temporarily) the Chiefs selfie-sign from Union Station - good move.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

empires228 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:47 pmThe lady at Sarausky who commented on the rumor hinted that Microsoft, Lego, coach, White House Black Market, Abercrombie, Hollister, and lush are looking for a way out.
Lush just moved into a new spot that's 3-4x bigger than their previous one fairly recent (2 years ago?). I'd be surprised if they up and left anytime soon.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Toysrus maybe. Other places maybe McCalister`s Deli would look to open same with Del Taco but on a Pad Site.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

jbean3535 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:00 am
empires228 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:47 pmThe lady at Sarausky who commented on the rumor hinted that Microsoft, Lego, coach, White House Black Market, Abercrombie, Hollister, and lush are looking for a way out.
Lush just moved into a new spot that's 3-4x bigger than their previous one fairly recent (2 years ago?). I'd be surprised if they up and left anytime soon.
I wouldn't assume anything. Plenty of stores move to bigger space and shut down because they can't afford the rent, the carrying cost of the inventory, the larger staff, the utilities, etc. Maybe they moved and people stopped shopping there, like it was the exact spot that was the cause of success.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

jbean3535 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:00 am
Wasn’t Lush pushed out of their other store front though? Bacharach moved right before closing their oak park store, Which in their defense was like one of the last 11 they even had open.

A few years ago Oak park was one of CBL’s top performing malls and had been the top performing for a hot minute, but now it’s like at the bottom of the top 10, which is also surprising since two of their better performing malls in St. Louis I have tanked hard and fast. Chesterfield started hemorrhaging tenants and then they defaulted on it and now mid Rivers is heading the same way pretty quickly. South county is another one of their malls on very shaky ground.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

Despite living about 2 miles away, I've only been in Oak Park Mall a handful of times in the last 10 years.

There is just nothing about a mall that appeals to me.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Zumiez Has moved to a much larger space in the former wet seal. Their old space is vacant in the main hallway, but the new store is quite a bit larger.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

American Girl and Microsoft are both permanently closed.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Was going to say that about American Girl.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

mgsports wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:34 pm Was going to say that about American Girl.
Anyone know what they have to take that space over?
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:05 pm
mgsports wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:34 pm Was going to say that about American Girl.
Anyone know what they have to take that space over?
My guess is probably nothing yet. There are a handful of vacancies that were in the mall prior to the COVID shutdown, and this just adds to it.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Places that are expanding like Whataburger,Del Taco.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Don't say Del Taco unless there is a Del Taco.