Oak Park Mall

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Oak Park Mall

Post by trailerkid »

In the mall tenant watch...

The first KC Fossil store is on its way to Oak Park. The closest stores are at Mall of America, and various stores in Denver, Chicagoland and the Dallas-FW metroplex. Closest Fossil Outlets are in Osage Beach and Branson.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i could have SWORN it already had a Fossil store?

or was that just a wristwatch store that sold a lot of Fossil?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote:i could have SWORN it already had a Fossil store?

or was that just a wristwatch store that sold a lot of Fossil?
No store listed on fossil.com in KS. They have Watch Station which is the Sunglass Hut of watches.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Oak Park gaining

Post by chrizow »

ah ok, Watch Station. interesting.

i've been to a Fossil store in Chicago. not really my thing, but a nice score for Oak Park.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Oak Park gaining

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote:ah ok, Watch Station. interesting.

i've been to a Fossil store in Chicago. not really my thing, but a nice score for Oak Park.
Fossil's web site sells all sorts of clothing and accesories in addition to watches. But the Fossil store at Woodfield Mall in Chicago the store is described as "More than 2,000 styles of watches, leather handbags, wallets and sunglasses all with Fossil's distinctive styling."

Oak Park is really asserting itself having and bringing in the younger, trendier stores in the region.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Oak Park gaining

Post by staubio »

That sounds like another distinctive and exclusive tenant that would better suit the Plaza. Sad to see our grand urban shopping district continually take hits in this category.
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Oak Park gaining

Post by UMKCgal »

This would be better on the plaza since we don't have 1 here yet..but if not the plaza then i think it should go to that mall at 135th and Metcalf.
I sure hope that 135th and Metcalf mall isn't just a repeat of Oak Park.
I've been to the 1 in Minneapolis..it is so-so. But there watches are niiicce..I love fossil watches.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Oak Park gaining

Post by trailerkid »

Sephora's long-delayed first metro store is headed to Oak Park.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Are you serious? Well, dammit. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Where is Oak Park magically finding all these vacant tenant sapces for all these new retialers in KC's most sought after mall? Is it because most of the new concept stores that open there only last 1 or 2 years? Bring on the next concept..
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

justin8216 wrote: Where is Oak Park magically finding all these vacant tenant sapces for all these new retialers in KC's most sought after mall? Is it because most of the new concept stores that open there only last 1 or 2 years? Bring on the next concept..
Such as... ?

Hollister at Oak Park was one of the first of that concept in the country and it seems to be doing quite well. The only "concept store" I ever remember Oak Park having was Gadzook's underwear chain which folded as fast as it opened. Shopping mall stores come and go...a sign of health in that type of environment if you ask me. Malls are all about being current.

Sephora is going in the former Bombay space in the center court. All the Bombay stores in enclosed shopping malls are closing I believe.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Oak Park is really going overboard bringing in new mall retailers... 

Ciella (not even a web site up for this one...shoes and accessories from Baker's Inc...? locations nationwide)

Road Apparel(men's apparel...6 stores nationwide)

Mirada (men's + women's trendy boutique...2 locations nationwide)

Saltmine (trendy Christian boutique?...local company and only location)

Joyce Smith also reported a while back that Puma is opening a boutique next to Road.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Some semi-notable stuff coming to Oak Park:

XXI (superstore format for Forever 21...closest location in Dallas I believe)

Aerie (intimate apparel from American Eagle...? locations)
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Now that we are on the same page with malls. Oak Park Mall has been a vibrant mall for as long as I remember. Yes it looks a lottle drab and dark on the interior but the mall is always packed to the gills with customers. What other malls around the Metro should consider is visiting Oak Park and looking around this drab mall and finding out its secrets. I have found out that in my visits to the mall that the whole mall is very clean with no smell of mold (Metcalf South), its hallway is very tight (Bannister), broken up lines (Metro North, Metcalf South), it has a mult level floor making it interesting (Metro North), room to grow (Mission Center (closed)). So when you look at the whole package Oak Park is the destination mall for all to enjoy and Marvel at.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I think Oak Park Mall's "secret" is its location at the crux of Lenexa, Olathe, and Overland Park, and off the busiest Interstate Highway in Kansas City.  A mall will find success quickly if there is enough middle-class america surrounding it - and the area around Oak Park has been carefully crafted by wily Johnson County Planners for fifty years to be the homogenized, buffered, and predominantly white area that it is.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

voltopt wrote: and the area around Oak Park has been carefully crafted by wily Johnson County Planners for fifty years to be the homogenized, buffered, and predominantly white area that it is.
As opposed to the Northland, Lees Summit and Eastern Jack?
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

A mall anywhere can make money with the right mix of retailers. You can place a mall in the middle of a desert and have the right mix of stores and they will make the money. Oak Park has done this time and time again. this is the same as what has happened here in Topeka with the West Ridge Mall It has survived many retailer changes through its short span and has kept is neet looks. Yes it is not as tight as Oak Park but it is as broken up as Oak Park.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

phxcat wrote: As opposed to the Northland, Lees Summit and Eastern Jack?
Zing!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

voltopt wrote: I think Oak Park Mall's "secret" is its location at the crux of Lenexa, Olathe, and Overland Park, and off the busiest Interstate Highway in Kansas City.  A mall will find success quickly if there is enough middle-class america surrounding it - and the area around Oak Park has been carefully crafted by wily Johnson County Planners for fifty years to be the homogenized, buffered, and predominantly white area that it is.
The last time I went to Oak Park Mall, I was pleasantly surprised by how racially diverse the clientele is now.

It is much more class segregated than racially segregated.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

phxcat wrote: As opposed to the Northland, Lees Summit and Eastern Jack?
Possibly - but I believe we are all aware of Central & Southern Johnson County's dominance of the Northland, Lees Summit, and Eastern Jack.  The Missouri suburbs are not as carefully planned and stitched together - they are just haphazardly built based on demand, creating undefensible neighborhoods.  Its the same type of development that Raytown, Grandview, Ruskin/ Blue Ridge, and the Northland south of Gladstone have to contend with now - poorly planned and unconnected.  As much as Johnson County bothers me, I have to hand it to them - they crafted an almost sustainable model as far as suburban permanence goes.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton