Oak Park Mall

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Oak Park Mall

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: I don't think the way to show urban areas are safe is to say "crime also occurs in the suburbs" since any comparison is likely to always come up short. I think it is a better tack to show that pretty much everywhere is safe, that the chances of anyone being involved in a serious crime is very low, and that statistically, you're more likely to be seriously hurt in a car accident  (40,000 fatal car accidents in this country compared to 15,000 murders; 3 million injuries resulting from car accidents, 800,000 aggravated assaults)
=D>
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My comments have nothing to do with the urban core.....it really only had one point but it morphed into two.

My original comment even said "for a suburban location" OPM is not the first place I think of for safety.....the inference being "suburbs in general have a lower instance of random crime".......of all the "suburb" destinations, it seems way more things happen at that mall....never once did I saw it wasn't safe....just was an odd comment by Hurst given it does have a high level of incidents given it's popularity.....of all the suburban "destinations", I wouldn't put OPM as the safest in my opinion.

but then a second point came out as people defended OPM that may or may not be the ones who tend to attack "urban areas" as dangerous....doesn't feel to freaking good to think you have to defend a place you "know" is safe does it?  Same goes for my downtown neighborhood....I would bet anything more people are stolen from that mall than the greater downtown area.....but hey, whatever.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

For everything Oak Park is and isn't, they've had an amazingly long run as the premier mall in the city...essentially since their inception.  As malls go, I've always thought Oak Park was considerably better than Bannister (maybe not design but certainly in store quality).  What's amazing is that it has lasted as long as it has despite the shift in wealth southwards.  Nothing in South JoCo has been able to supplant it.  It's not a particularly fun place to go but it has more than anywhere else in KC in terms of variety if you are just out for shopping and nothing else ...particularly now since the Plaza has decided to be an everyman's shopping area. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Oak Park Mall renovation + tenants (ongoing)

Post by KCMax »

I swung past the Mall for the first time in awhile - I didn't know the American Girl and Five Guys actually have outside entrances. I wonder if the new renovations will attempt to make the mall look more like "lifestyle centers" with open air plaza areas? It would seem relatively easy - just take out some of the massive parking, put in a small park and some sidewalks, and voila, you can half-ass it. The article did talk about how the mall has weathered the "lifestyle center" trend.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Oak Park Mall owner closes half-stake sale in $1.09B joint venture

The owner of Oak Park Mall has sold half its' stake to TIAA-CREF. As a TIAA-CREF shareholder, I now own a stake in Oak Park Mall. :D

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... article_du
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

http://www.kccommercialrealty.com/prope ... sePlan.pdf shows DSW meaning a another Shoe store to shop at if true.
http://www.kccommercialrealty.com/prope ... opment.pdf
http://www.kccommercialrealty.com/prope ... opment.pdf
Oak Park Mall, at 95th Street and Quivira Road in Overland Park, has signed Chicken Now for its food court. It is scheduled to open later this month. The Chicken Now operations typically open in shopping center food courts and sandwiches, wraps, salads, wings, tenders, nachos and quesadillas. According to its website, Chicken Now’s chicken is never frozen and is marinated for at least 24 hours, then fried, made-to-order, in 100 percent soybean oil.

Read more here: http://joco913.com/news/jjs-cool-change ... rylink=cpy
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Oak Park Mall to add Lego Store, the first in the area.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... store.html
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

know its been said a million times but wish some of these would be on the Plaza.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

The Mattress Hub, a mattress retail company based in Wichita, is entering the market with two new Johnson County locations.

The first will open in the Quivira 95 Shops, 11524 W. 95th St., on Feb. 16. The Wichita-based company also is leasing a freestanding building at 6900 W. 119th St., Olathe, but no opening date was available. Several more area locations are planned.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

NDTeve wrote:know its been said a million times but wish some of these would be on the Plaza.
Crown Center will basically have a store in their lego thingamagig, so the plaza would be too close.

My son collects lego city stuff so we hit the lego stores quite often. They are nice. I always wondered why KC didnt have one. There is one in OKC. Don't think StL has one either.
midwestbridges
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by midwestbridges »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -20th.html

Microsoft Store coming to Oak Park Mall - former Talbot's location.

Ha. Beat Mgsports!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sony Store LOL'd.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Yes I saw it yesterday so you didn't beat me to it.
Last edited by mgsports on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mgsports wrote:Yes I saw yesterday day so you didn't beat me to it.
P0WN3D.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i hope the store is stocked with nothing but this:

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Holy puss bucket, i totally remember watching that when it came out.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Oak Park Mall Update

Post by mgsports »

Bakers closing.
Mexican Food Place in Food Court gone so maybe Potbelly or Milo's Sandwich Shop or Maid Rite or Freebird's Burrito's or Jack in the Box or one the Burger Joints expand to Orlando
Houlihans will open Summer of this year,Building going by Sonic and future one by Academy Sports and Outdoors and other Pad Sites on property.
Last edited by mgsports on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Oak Park Mall Update

Post by AllThingsKC »

Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Zorobabel »

There's already an OPM thread.
JDluu
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JDluu »

I hear a rumor from an employee at the Plaza H&M that they would be opening another store in Oak Park in the Eddie Bower space (which he said would be moving to the Guess space). Is this on here somewhere already or can anybody confirm?