Oak Park Mall

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Oak Park Mall

Post by empires228 »

I just spoke with employees at both Dillard’s. The plan is to vacate the men’s store within the year and eliminate most of the higher end lines from the women’s store in preparation for future plans. They wouldn’t exactly say that they’re essentially bailing on Oak Park for the Plaza, but they didn’t deny it. The home department has already been moved and they’ve moved a lot of mens fragrances over top. With the two stores combined, this was the second largest operation they were running in the USA.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

empires228 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:08 pm I just spoke with employees at both Dillard’s. The plan is to vacate the men’s store within the year and eliminate most of the higher end lines from the women’s store in preparation for future plans. They wouldn’t exactly say that they’re essentially bailing on Oak Park for the Plaza, but they didn’t deny it. The home department has already been moved and they’ve moved a lot of mens fragrances over top. With the two stores combined, this was the second largest operation they were running in the USA.
Wouldn't be overly surprised if they also wound down the Dillards in Zona Rosa if they moved to Plaza.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Nordstrom cannot be far behind. I wonder if they'll just abandon KC. Open Rally House Superstores and give the people what they want.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:50 pm
empires228 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:08 pm I just spoke with employees at both Dillard’s. The plan is to vacate the men’s store within the year and eliminate most of the higher end lines from the women’s store in preparation for future plans. They wouldn’t exactly say that they’re essentially bailing on Oak Park for the Plaza, but they didn’t deny it. The home department has already been moved and they’ve moved a lot of mens fragrances over top. With the two stores combined, this was the second largest operation they were running in the USA.
Wouldn't be overly surprised if they also wound down the Dillards in Zona Rosa if they moved to Plaza.
The Zona Rosa store is very nice so I would hate to see it go, but it has never once been busy when I’ve been. Like, I’ll usually hit it and the Metro North Macy’s up on the same trip and Macy’s is always busier by far. The only thing I’ve ever gotten out of the ZR Dillard’s employees is that they do quite a bit less in volume than the Independence Center store. A lot of the older longtime employees at Dillard’s are pretty nice to chat with.
trailerkid wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:56 pm Nordstrom cannot be far behind. I wonder if they'll just abandon KC. Open Rally House Superstores and give the people what they want.
I think Nordies will likely leave us and the St. Louis Galleria store before the decade is over (they dumped a ton of money into renovating West County Center). Nordstrom, Penney’s, and the Women’s/Home Dillard’s were actually quite busy today. Macy’s and the men’s Dillard’s were dead as can be.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Oak Park really needs to figure their shit out. That Dillard's South store is huge, but at least it does have some covered parking attached to it. That Nordstrom store is way to big and their target demographic has continued to move further south. I don't see it sticking around in it's current form much longer, which could leave Oak Park with two huge empty boxes in a retail environment that will never be capable of filling them with single retailers.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

If Oak Park loses two big anchors, but the rest of the mall remains fairly stable, I could see this going to way of Westfield Old Orchard in Skokie Illinois. They’ll build some mixed-use buildings in a bid to start turning the mall into something more of a neighborhood hub rather than standalone destination. Whether or not it would work, I don’t know, but including housing, office, and hospitality components on sites formerly occupied by department stores could be a good thing.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Nordstrom should move to Leawood with the concentration of wealth in that area, but finding space for a 100,000+ square foot store in Town Center, etc. seems challenging. What I'd like to see is a complete renovation of the Oak Park Mall store with agreement from CBL to renovate that entire wing and go more upscale. If only Simon owned Oak Park Mall. They have a chokehold on luxury when it comes to malls it seems.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:52 am If Oak Park loses two big anchors, but the rest of the mall remains fairly stable, I could see this going to way of Westfield Old Orchard in Skokie Illinois. They’ll build some mixed-use buildings in a bid to start turning the mall into something more of a neighborhood hub rather than standalone destination. Whether or not it would work, I don’t know, but including housing, office, and hospitality components on sites formerly occupied by department stores could be a good thing.
I wouldn't mind companies finding a way to incorporate some sort of housing targeted at adults aged 55+ and some other amenities. Granted the mall would likely turn into an indoor walking track they would also be getting an infusion of people to give a bit of life (or semblance thereof) to it. Too bad the surface roads around it are such a shit show - with a Target and other restaurants and services nearby it could be a fairly self-contained area.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

kcjak wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:30 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:52 am If Oak Park loses two big anchors, but the rest of the mall remains fairly stable, I could see this going to way of Westfield Old Orchard in Skokie Illinois. They’ll build some mixed-use buildings in a bid to start turning the mall into something more of a neighborhood hub rather than standalone destination. Whether or not it would work, I don’t know, but including housing, office, and hospitality components on sites formerly occupied by department stores could be a good thing.
I wouldn't mind companies finding a way to incorporate some sort of housing targeted at adults aged 55+ and some other amenities. L
Why not housing for all ages?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Sky Golf,Perry's Steakhouse,Pizza Ranch,Grocery,Bloomingdales.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

The old Microsoft store looks like it’s becoming a virtual Golfing simulator and Bar. Unsure how well it’s going to do, but nice to see someone trying to get it away from purely storefronts and try something a little different here.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I am amazed by the amount of golf + drinking concepts popping up in the area
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Two suspects in custody after Oak Park Mall shooting

The shooting happened after a suspected shoplifter grabbed an undercover officer’s gun and fired a gunshot. Overland Park police confirmed two undercover officers were watching a pair of suspected shoplifters inside the mall.

Officers arrested one of the men inside the mall and said they took another suspect into custody shortly after the first arrest.
https://www.kctv5.com/2023/11/12/police ... park-mall/
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:03 pm Two suspects in custody after Oak Park Mall shooting

The shooting happened after a suspected shoplifter grabbed an undercover officer’s gun and fired a gunshot. Overland Park police confirmed two undercover officers were watching a pair of suspected shoplifters inside the mall.

Officers arrested one of the men inside the mall and said they took another suspect into custody shortly after the first arrest.
https://www.kctv5.com/2023/11/12/police ... park-mall/
Imagine being so stupid as to upgrade your simple shoplifting charge to something as drastic as stealing an officers service weapon, then discharging it in an attempt to harm people. Ole boy went from what could’ve been a slap on the wrist to likely VERY hard time. I mean I know people committing crimes aren’t the brightest, but damn this takes the cake