normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to North Kansas City

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:43 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:39 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:21 pm
Narrowed down to two? Or all possibilities?
Public presentation with feedback period
Sweet. Was there mention of an open house format? Or will it be online only?
I think it will be online!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

slimwhitman wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:26 pm ...and I pray the recommendation is to put it on Swift instead of Burlington. Keep Burlington the car/truck sewer and let Swift be the transit/pedestrian wonderland.
Swift makes way more sense in terms of where riders would actually want to go. I think the most ideal route (in terms of effectiveness, not cost) would actually be Swift northbound and Burlington southbound. Stops northbound every 4 blocks or so. Stops southbound at Armour, 14th, and 10th.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

scooterj wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:43 pm
slimwhitman wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:26 pm ...and I pray the recommendation is to put it on Swift instead of Burlington. Keep Burlington the car/truck sewer and let Swift be the transit/pedestrian wonderland.
Swift makes way more sense in terms of where riders would actually want to go. I think the most ideal route (in terms of effectiveness, not cost) would actually be Swift northbound and Burlington southbound. Stops northbound every 4 blocks or so. Stops southbound at Armour, 14th, and 10th.
Makes no sense if you ever envision going farther north
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Are we currently using all the streetcars that we have? Or we only using 4/6
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:59 pm Are we currently using all the streetcars that we have? Or we only using 4/6
We wouldn't have 6 if we didn't need 6. I suspect you are referring to using all of them at all times. You do not want 100 fleet utilization. That leaves no room for maintenance, accidents, etc. Also reduces the life span

We are purchasing 8 additional vehicles for the Main Street extension
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:29 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:59 pm Are we currently using all the streetcars that we have? Or we only using 4/6
We wouldn't have 6 if we didn't need 6. I suspect you are referring to using all of them at all times. You do not want 100 fleet utilization. That leaves no room for maintenance, accidents, etc. Also reduces the life span

They need to get their frequency times back down to what they used to be. Especially with summer coming.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:35 pm

They need to get their frequency times back down to what they used to be. Especially with summer coming.
Most days are only 3 operation with 3 in reserve. Busy days usually will have 4 online, and summer days and weekends will definitely have 4 if demand is there.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:25 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:35 pm

Most days are only 3 operation with 3 in reserve. Busy days usually will have 4 online, and summer days and weekends will definitely have 4 if demand is there.
Weekends on big event weekends and anytime in the summer should have them all. It was really frequency bad during the Big 12 tournament, and tons of people were standing in the cold waiting for like 10+ mins
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

You will see more 4-car service soon because the ridership increases have been reliable.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

NKC Streetcar
Updating 2014 North Rail study at the request of City of NKC, Co-funded by KCATA, City of NKC, and KC Streetcar Authority (MOU in progress), RFP published 8/16, pre-proposal conference 8/31, Will stage the next streetcar expansion for regional funding and/or infrastructure bill
One RideKC
Project kicked off in April 2021 – “make the case” for regional funding, Funded by KCATA, collaboration with KC Chamber, MARC, and KC Streetcar, Plan scenarios to be delivered in September, final product in October, Working on revenue options in parallel, Met with employers for listening sessions, Developing legislative strategy
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Study update toorrow
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

website updated by links are dead

https://kcstreetcar.org/about-streetcar/northrail/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:50 pm website updated by links are dead

Still dead. Website says it was supposed to have gone live yesterday
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:50 pm website updated by links are dead

Burlington Center Running. Yes Please!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^That might be OK for Burlington but I really like the experience of the stops integrated into the sidewalk - center running is more appropriate for commuter lines, not local service. The only advantage I see of center running is the issue with parked cars for curb running but two ways to address that is to either get rid of street parking or only allow special permits for curb parking and those who don't stay within the lines lose the permit. And the permit should have a QR code that ties is to vehicle license plate. If caught copying a permit, $5K fine or something along those lines. And the cost of the permit should be just enough to cover the expenses to manage the permits.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Center running is absolutely appropriate for going to NKC and hopefully further north in the future.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Agree it's relatively more doable than city core but what's the advantage other than curb running conflict with parked cars, which can be addressed.

KC is maturing to a level where there probably should be a broad permit system for street parked cars for the entire urban area, and within urban neighborhoods.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:02 pm ^That might be OK for Burlington but I really like the experience of the stops integrated into the sidewalk

There is a 3rd option. Do what Dublin does. Median is also a sidewalk and stops are in the median.

Removing street parking doesn't fix the problem. Many times someone will stop in a no-park area to pick up/drop off riders or to run in and grab something. I've seen everything from a compact car to commercial trucks do this to the streetcar.

Would not be an issue if center running in dediated lanes. 100% believe Center running is the optimal choice for NKC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^It wouldn't be a mistake to go center running on this stretch but it depends on what they want that stretch to become long term.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:46 pm ^It wouldn't be a mistake to go center running on this stretch but it depends on what they want that stretch to become long term.
I don't see any worth while benefit of curb running and think it was a mistake to do so on Main Street. In theory I hear what you are saying but I almost always have to cross a street to get to my destination anyways.

Even if streetcar never expands past NKC, its a mistake to go with the curb and buikd outselves into 70 years of delays