Phase 2 streetcar to North Kansas City

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to North Kansas City

Post by KCPowercat »

Only issue is to board nb from river market have to get to 5th and walnut. Not s huge loss.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:41 pm Only issue is to board nb from river market have to get to 5th and walnut. Not s huge loss.
I see, but actually, that's probably going to be needed. Especially during events like soccer games and riverfront festivals. A larger platform on Grand there would make the logistics of moving a lot of people to and from the Riverfront much easier. That other river market stop is already really busy.

Probably something they can always fix later though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Meh that stop at 5th is big. Coming back south out of the park there will be two viable stops to unload everyone.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:36 pm Going down Swift keeps it a local "tram" and it's not likely to ever be extended any further north.

Going down Burlington and create an opportunity to transition into a higher level of actual mass transit meaning people will actually use it for commuting and to get to places like KCI (as long as it maintains a dedicated RoW to the north). Burlington also seems like it's more of a wide open canvas to build up the corridor with high density residential.

Either way works, but whichever is chosen will direct the future of "rail" in KC.
As I mentioned dual options would be good. SC system for Swift. Some kind of dedicated light rail/commuter based line down Burlington. Find a good spot for a large park & ride facility & build dedicated commuter line. The SC itself is not really mass transit. But regardless will be excited for whatever they do
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

North Kansas City residents share preferred streetcar routes from among eight options
Residents used sticky notes to share feedback on pairs of recommended route options for each of three potential northern legs, which could see the streetcar stretch across the Heart of America Bridge and reach as far as 32nd Avenue. The options presented amount to eight possible combinations, with estimated costs ranging from $177.4 million to $204.2 million, if all three legs were fully built out.

From south to north, the North Kansas City route options recommended were:

River Market Option #1 ($28.6 million) — A "couplet" route design that extends the current streetcar east along both Third and Fifth streets to Missouri Route 9, with two potential stops, including one near Columbus Park.
River Market Option #2 ($25.7 million) — A two-way extension east along Third Street to Missouri Route 9, with one potential stop.
River Crossing Option #1 ($32.9 million) — A single dedicated streetcar lane across the east side of the Heart of America Bridge, next to a multiuse trail, to 10th Avenue in North Kansas City.
River Crossing Option #2 ($22 million) — A single dedicated streetcar lane across the west side of the Heart of America Bridge, across from an east-side multiuse trail, to 10th Avenue in North Kansas City.
North Kansas City Option #1 ($129.7 million) — Two dedicated streetcar lanes that run along the middle of Burlington Avenue between 10th and 29th avenues, with five potential stops.
North Kansas City Option #2 ($142.7 million) — Two streetcar lanes shared with motor traffic that stretch two blocks east from 10th Avenue to run along the middle of Swift Avenue to 32nd Avenue, with seven potential stops.
North Kansas City officials could start to review the feedback later this summer and determine a final route preference in the fall. The NorthRail study is estimated to be complete by the end of 2022.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-07-01
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Reading old KC transit studies.

1998 study projected 3,000 daily riders for a line from I-29 & North Oak to RM in forecast year 2020.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Streetcar to the riverfront

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:46 pm Pretty detailed renderings and plans here:

https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... educed.pdf
https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... -Final.pdf
How would this work with the Northland extension? I assume there would be some cars going to the riverfront and some going to the north? Any complications that could bring with trains doing separate loops instead of our current lined-up functionality?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:07 am
GRID wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:46 pm Pretty detailed renderings and plans here:

https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... educed.pdf
https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... -Final.pdf
How would this work with the Northland extension? I assume there would be some cars going to the riverfront and some going to the north? Any complications that could bring with trains doing separate loops instead of our current lined-up functionality?
Probably just run every other train to north?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

GRID wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:15 am Probably just run every other train to north?
Yes, but riverfront line would be much shorter than northland. I guess that would cycle more trains through downtown area than northland giving shorter lead time in those areas. That doesn’t sound bad. Either way, will require riders to ge a little more heads-up on what train they jump on to. Right now, the line is so small and simple there’s really no thought required. Will have to watch for trains stacking up and causing big gaps.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I'd guess like every 3-4th one goes north depending on time of day of course. I'm sure it's an easy thing to figure out, lines 100000x our size figure it out.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Since the NKC line is being discussed here, if the HOA approach isn't lowered to the level of 3rd and 5th, how will it connect to the Main Street line?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:18 pm Since the NKC line is being discussed here, if the HOA approach isn't lowered to the level of 3rd and 5th, how will it connect to the Main Street line?
The ramps?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's act like there isn't a path forward w/o lowering. 2 birds 1 stone.

If sharing one rail across the bridge that's probably the question as can't go both ways.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

From what I've gathered, the preferred option by both the residents and MoDot is same track on the East side of the bridge. Move the median over slightly west and use the tracks as a buffer to the bike lane.

Not sure about how it would connect to the rest of the line but I'm sure they've thought through it
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Per Tom, they should be having some info come out of the preferred alternative and some data details for the project before years end. He did mention off wire capabilities to go across the bridge to help save money, didn’t get clarification if current vehicle fleet would be capable as is or need a retrofit. The swift routing is the preferred though so we know that at least, as well as a single track config on 3rd(WB) and 5th(EB)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm going to throw a fit if we don't bring 9 highway down as part of this.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:25 pm Per Tom, they should be having some info come out of the preferred alternative and some data details for the project before years end. He did mention off wire capabilities to go across the bridge to help save money, didn’t get clarification if current vehicle fleet would be capable as is or need a retrofit. The swift routing is the preferred though so we know that at least, as well as a single track config on 3rd(WB) and 5th(EB)
I would think it would cost a lot more to retrofit the vehicles to accommodate a battery than to build a catenary system across the bridge. Plus I personally don't like the hybrid trams. They just look bulky or something. KC's vehicles are nice and sleek and I hope they stay that way.

And I agree, if they are not going to build a dedicated bridge for the streetcar and pedestrians, then you have to bring Route 9 to at grade. The streetcar and the redesign of Rout 9 should be a single project or at least very tied together in how both are built.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

If dedicated bridge would it be to east of HOA or west of ASB? Could the ASB be used where the center lanes of the old road deck were?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Lowering 9 highway as a part of this would bring my excitement level for this project from 4/10 to about 11/10. Please do it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

UMKC Roo wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:53 pm Lowering 9 highway as a part of this would bring my excitement level for this project from 4/10 to about 11/10. Please do it.
Why can’t they continue the current tracks from RM through Columbus Park across Lydia to the riverfront and then continue to NKC on one line instead of breaking into two?