OFFICIAL - City Club Apartments (former Midwest Hotel)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - City Club Apartments (former Midwest Hotel)

Post by FangKC »

I can see why this rented out so quickly. It's a great project. The location is ideal for many people.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:40 pm Btw restaurants are projected for a summer opening
Do you know if these will these be owned by the former Rieger owner? When they closed down the Rieger, they made note of a potential move across the street into the City Club building.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:09 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:32 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:15 pm

the website sound like it's already about leased out?
Mostly true. It’s effectively at capacity. They are setting a few aside to rent out which I hate but no Airbnb. Every place does this now.
There are Airbnb’s listed for the city club building. I counted about 20 on the AirBnb website
Sorry i didn't mean it exactly like what I said. More they're trying to manage where and what gets listed.

I absolutely hate it
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:11 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:40 pm Btw restaurants are projected for a summer opening
Do you know if these will these be owned by the former Rieger owner? When they closed down the Rieger, they made note of a potential move across the street into the City Club building.
Yes. Howard had signed on to do then before rieger closed.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:36 pm
Sorry i didn't mean it exactly like what I said. More they're trying to manage where and what gets listed.

I absolutely hate it
Oh, yea. Sorry I misunderstood.

It seems like the units listed on the Airbnb website all center around the 3rd floor with units facing the courtyard or Walnut. No unit, from what I could find, faces Main or Crown Center. One unit faces the Corrigan Station building. Maybe these are the less desirable units? I don't know though. I can sort of see why they're opting for all these Airbnb units, which are seemingly controlled by the landlord, but I would personally prefer to see these units rented out to residents who will be there longer than a few nights or so. Or maybe, just maybe, they're doing this so if someone visits KC and is wanting to move there stays at one of these Airbnbs, the person or people staying here will decide to sign a lease. Sort of like a trial run.

It all seems really odd to me, but I don't understand Airbnb all that much. It can work in some places, but not all. And sometimes, the best Airbnb experiences are done by private people and not the landlord or a corporate operator, which has sterile and not so unique finishes like other people can do.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:08 am

I absolutely hate it
... I can sort of see why they're opting for all these Airbnb units, which are seemingly controlled by the landlord, but I would personally prefer to see these units rented out to residents who will be there longer than a few nights or so. Or maybe, just maybe, they're doing this so if someone visits KC and is wanting to move there stays at one of these Airbnbs, the person or people staying here will decide to sign a lease. Sort of like a trial run.
Yes, their strategy might be to go after someone who is looking for a place to live, and wants to do the Airbnb unit as a test run. It's actually a smart idea.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:57 pm
smh wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:30 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:49 pm The restaurant corner came out good. I also find the walk up apartments to be quite nice

This all looks very nicely done. Love the walk up units.
I'm sorry. Were you unaware they have a pool? Not urban. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

smh wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:20 pm
smh wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:30 pm

This all looks very nicely done. Love the walk up units.
You guys are cheerleaders for this kind of crap and I'm not. I will say this development is at least 10 times better than Artistry, here the pool is not sitting in the middle of an open courtyard like an old fashioned Holiday Inn.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

the post-pandemic kcrag meetup is going to be quite the shitshow, can't wait!

edit: sorry this wasn't on topic. let's have the meetup at the city club pool. bam, fixed!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wahoowa wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:27 am the post-pandemic kcrag meetup is going to be quite the shitshow, can't wait!

edit: sorry this wasn't on topic. let's have the meetup at the city club pool. bam, fixed!
Wait, we're not meeting in the Waddell & Reed podium garage?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:08 am

I absolutely hate it
Oh, yea. Sorry I misunderstood.

It seems like the units listed on the Airbnb website all center around the 3rd floor with units facing the courtyard or Walnut. No unit, from what I could find, faces Main or Crown Center. One unit faces the Corrigan Station building. Maybe these are the less desirable units? I don't know though. I can sort of see why they're opting for all these Airbnb units, which are seemingly controlled by the landlord, but I would personally prefer to see these units rented out to residents who will be there longer than a few nights or so. Or maybe, just maybe, they're doing this so if someone visits KC and is wanting to move there stays at one of these Airbnbs, the person or people staying here will decide to sign a lease. Sort of like a trial run.

It all seems really odd to me, but I don't understand Airbnb all that much. It can work in some places, but not all. And sometimes, the best Airbnb experiences are done by private people and not the landlord or a corporate operator, which has sterile and not so unique finishes like other people can do.
For people that haven't been in it before, it's a bit of a maze. It's big and you have to know what doors to take or you will get lost.

They seem to be handling it responsibly. I don't mind like corporate rentals or month stuff even. But my last place got so out of control that there were just dozen of lockboxes outside and it felt like no one lived there.

They gave us a number and an email to use if we ever have issues. So far, residents and guests, have been respectful.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

Rabble wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:58 pm
smh wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:20 pm

You guys are cheerleaders for this kind of crap and I'm not. I will say this development is at least 10 times better than Artistry, here the pool is not sitting in the middle of an open courtyard like an old fashioned Holiday Inn.
I grew up around too many white people, too many cheap ugly buildings, too many swimming pools, too many golf courses, and way too many Republicans. Downtowns offered a wonderful alternative to the suburban banality. Now downtown has an influx of caucasions, cheap buildings and outdoor pools. Roll your eyes and laugh but I don't think every dollar being invested downtown is progress.

How many city blocks would you need for a golf course?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Wtf, see a therapist.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Any movement on Howard's restaurants? I haven't walked by the storefront in awhile.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Gym above entrance.

Wine bar

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'm enjoying staying here during my trip. It's giving me the opportunity to see what life would be like here if I decided to move in. The feature I like the most has top be the rooftop pool deck and 2nd floor roof park. And unlike other gyms/fitness centers that I've been to that include a rower, I was surprised to see that the one here had actual water in it. Anyway, here are some drone photos from today.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I'm really impressed with how this turned out. I like the massing, the variation of colors, the integration of the Midwest Hotel, and the street-level presence. They really made a mess of 20th during construction, but the new landscaping is wonderful. It'll really liven up the corner once the space at the southwest corner gets a tenant.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That's a really festive courtyard.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:37 pm That's a really festive courtyard.
This whole project shows that if you go just one step further in a design the apparent quality goes up far more than the amount of work needed.