OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Post by alejandro46 »

I had to wait a while for a streetcar at the River Market stop that was delayed in traffic. Very minimal seating. Increasing frequency by diverting some traffic would be a great.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:15 pm I had to wait a while for a streetcar at the River Market stop that was delayed in traffic. Very minimal seating. Increasing frequency by diverting some traffic would be a great.
The Walnut and 5th intersection couples with folks circling for parking along 5th always kills frequency on weekends. To an embarrassing degree as well
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

🚊 Did you know? QLINE helped pave the way for a dedicated transit lane! 🚦 Dedicated lane has been a priority for our riders and for M-1 Rail since launch and we are pleased to have the critical area around LCA as the first section of implementation.
https://twitter.com/qlinedetroit/status ... 1767343106
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It's 100% with the city to decide how much of our alignment they want to protect. Once the MSE opens, there might be more pressure to do more.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

They were placing the crossover track at the southern end of the extension today. It was fabricated offsight and craned into place. I assumed it was created on-site like the normal track connections are. Also, you'd have to think track laying is more than 50% complete at this point. Most of the south bound rail has been installed except for connecting pieces and the section from American Century to the south. North bound track is in place on the furthest north sections of the extension to about 31st St. But, they are really starting to fly with the weather getting nice. I wouldn't be surprised to see all track almost fully complete by the beginning of the Fall.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

https://www.businessinsider.com/north-a ... une-2023-5
I assume it's too late to ditch all the overhead electrical line work and just get some hydrogen fuelcell streetcars?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:25 pm https://www.businessinsider.com/north-a ... une-2023-5
I assume it's too late to ditch all the overhead electrical line work and just get some hydrogen fuelcell streetcars?
Nope, it's too late. Vehicles are in production now. First one arrives in October.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:25 pm https://www.businessinsider.com/north-a ... une-2023-5
Battery ones would be a better bet anyways, as they can do split operations of both catenary and no wire.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Hydrogen fuel cells could be a good source for freight trains. But they require a lot of infrastructure both to produce “green” hydrogen from renewables and deliver via truck or pipeline.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Starting to place poles for overhead electrical lines on the north end of the extension now. Also, they are laying track at very fast pace all along the route. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that piece completed by the end of the summer.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

On the west side of Main near PVP, there is a very wide path next to the track. Is that going to be left un marked, or will they mark that partially as a cycle track?
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

GRID wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:18 pm On the west side of Main near PVP, there is a very wide path next to the track. Is that going to be left un marked, or will they mark that partially as a cycle track?
Yep, 30% drawings call it a "Multi-Use Trail" – think those are the latest docs available.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Does this mean @TheUrbanRoo muted me or something? 😂
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

bspecht wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:02 pm Does this mean @TheUrbanRoo muted me or something? 😂
I did not :lol: just slipped by me
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

Hadn't ever really noticed how many mature trees there are along the Main Street extension. I know some trees had to come down for the downtown line. Do we know what the plan is on the extension? Hopefully most can remain?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Section 1. That the City Manager is hereby directed to coordinate with the Kansas City Area Transit Authority and the Kansas City Streetcar Authority to produce design alternatives for transit exclusive lanes to be considered for incorporation in the streetcar extension from Pershing Road to 51st Street and requiring a report back to City Council within 90 days

Section 2. That the City Council expresses its support for a vehicular design speed no greater than 30 miles per hour along the expanded Streetcar route.
Would this limit streetcar to 30MPH?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Why does the city, or even KCATA, have anything to do with this or the power to change the design? They didn’t fund it. It’s run by a separate streetcar authority with “elected” members chosen by the neighborhoods. They really should be mute to any changes.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

langosta wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:18 pm
Section 1. That the City Manager is hereby directed to coordinate with the Kansas City Area Transit Authority and the Kansas City Streetcar Authority to produce design alternatives for transit exclusive lanes to be considered for incorporation in the streetcar extension from Pershing Road to 51st Street and requiring a report back to City Council within 90 days

Section 2. That the City Council expresses its support for a vehicular design speed no greater than 30 miles per hour along the expanded Streetcar route.
Would this limit streetcar to 30MPH?
I read this as a way to slow cars and the streetcar down. However, it’ll probably just slow the streetcar down since the width of Main would continue seeing cars go over 50 on a routine basis.