OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Post by KCPowercat »

I feel like there was a 39th street crossover as well. Confirmed unless there have been changes since the drawing in 2019 was released. Three crossovers total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:27 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:18 pm I'm sure it's been talked about before, but with the new extension, what is the plan for when cars are broken down or a problem with one section of track? Will it stall out the whole system? Crossover track to go around? A much larger system will have more likelihood of disruption.
IIRC, 2 cross over tracks. System designed so that a high frequency Union Station and North service can be run during events. I am not sure about running vehicles the "opposite way". I guess that is an advantage of dedicated center running

NKC must be center running. East/West must be center running. Even if we never expand outside the core, center running is better.
So, to bypass a stopage, a car would crossover and run the wrong way until reaching the second crossover to get back to the right side all while stopping the cars running the right way so they don't meet?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I don't think that would be legal since they are sharing the lane with automobile traffic. It would make sense if streetcars would go as far as possible up to the last cross-over they could reach before blockage and turn around there. A blockage would temporarily shorten the route or create two separated segments.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:11 am I don't think that would be legal since they are sharing the lane with automobile traffic. It would make sense if streetcars would go as far as possible up to the last cross-over they could reach before blockage and turn around there. A blockage would temporarily shorten the route or create two separated segments.
True. I was thinking they were dedicated lanes for some reason. Can't have a streetcar going the wrong way in traffic. :)

I know they've had stoppages several times at Union Station with something wrong with the crossover. With 3X the system, issues like that would potentially happen 3X as often. I'm just wondering how they plan to keep the system running. Streetcar tow vehicles that pull cars along the tracks back to the garage?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:51 am
Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:11 am I don't think that would be legal since they are sharing the lane with automobile traffic. It would make sense if streetcars would go as far as possible up to the last cross-over they could reach before blockage and turn around there. A blockage would temporarily shorten the route or create two separated segments.
True. I was thinking they were dedicated lanes for some reason. Can't have a streetcar going the wrong way in traffic. :)

I know they've had stoppages several times at Union Station with something wrong with the crossover. With 3X the system, issues like that would potentially happen 3X as often. I'm just wondering how they plan to keep the system running. Streetcar tow vehicles that pull cars along the tracks back to the garage?
I know 1 issue was icing and another was flooding. Dave mentioned it was fixed with a heater. IIRC, the Union Station switch was value engineered down to a spring switch. UMKC Extension trying to use powered switches.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:03 am I know 1 issue was icing and another was flooding. Dave mentioned it was fixed with a heater. IIRC, the Union Station switch was value engineered down to a spring switch. UMKC Extension trying to use powered switches.
yes, but everything breaks eventually, especially out in the elements in scorching heat summer/bitter cold winter Kansas City.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:11 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:03 am I know 1 issue was icing and another was flooding. Dave mentioned it was fixed with a heater. IIRC, the Union Station switch was value engineered down to a spring switch. UMKC Extension trying to use powered switches.
yes, but everything breaks eventually, especially out in the elements in scorching heat summer/bitter cold winter Kansas City.
I can't remember the last time the switch broke down. Does anyone remember?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:32 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:17 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:17 pm

Is this in addition to the # of streetcars that was initially slated for the extension? Or did the downsize the number of new cars they’re receiving?
We will have 8 new streetcars coming instead of the 6 previously planned.

6 ordered + intend to exercise options for an additional 2. IRRC there are 10? total options. Funding for 2 more vehicles was assigned in an approved ordinance.
Good. Huge actually.

Streetcars biggest issue is the frequency/waiting between stops. It's like 15 minutes to wait for a streetcar. That needs to be like 7 minutes tops.
IIRC, 5 minutes is as far as we can go on our curb running system.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:18 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:11 am
I can't remember the last time the switch broke down. Does anyone remember?
A couple of weeks ago. I think that’s what prompted me to ask about it. Three cars backed up at Union Station.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Meeting tonight!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks for the pics, should all be uploaded here soon too
https://www.buildkcstreetcar.com/home
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Wonder if there is anyway there can be a more direct/improved walking connection from 27th St to the Liberty Memorial? As it is one would have to walk southwest before turning north. The walk could be greatly reduced by a trail going directly northwest to the LM drive. There are some paved walk/service roads in the area, but they do not provide a direct rout.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is a trail there now if I'm understanding what you are asking

https://goo.gl/maps/ELRaTbakr2x3QHda8
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:45 am Thanks for the pics, should all be uploaded here soon too
Here, actually: https://kcstreetcar.org/about-streetcar ... extension/
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ULCajun »

moderne wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:10 am Wonder if there is anyway there can be a more direct/improved walking connection from 27th St to the Liberty Memorial? As it is one would have to walk southwest before turning north. The walk could be greatly reduced by a trail going directly northwest to the LM drive. There are some paved walk/service roads in the area, but they do not provide a direct rout.
There is also this entrance, just walked it the other day. It leads to steps by LM that are currently roped off for construction I believe. There could be improvements to visibility and invitability. I didn't even know it was there until I was walking around looking for an entrance.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0787364 ... 384!8i8192
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:30 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:45 am Thanks for the pics, should all be uploaded here soon too
Here, actually: https://kcstreetcar.org/about-streetcar ... extension/
Thanks. Silly me for assuming this message on buildkcstreetcar.com didn't mean the actual site I was on " If you are unable to attend, the meeting materials will be posted on our website after the event. "

Almost makes you wonder why two sites?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is this one online anywhere?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO any reason they stopped posting meeting minutes or presentations online? Only agendas are given