Alameda Tower

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by missingkc »

And, what is the quiet chair?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:28 pm And, what is the quiet chair?
When you act like a dick and we warn you.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:02 pm
Love that
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:05 pm
Love that
I was put in the quiet chair once. It involved the old Kauffman renovation thread and a Christmas gingerbread town. :)
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:48 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:05 pm

Love that
I was put in the quiet chair once. It involved the old Kauffman renovation thread and a Christmas gingerbread town. :)
That tracks
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Hahahahaha, oh the good(?) old days...
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Relevant article on bike lanes in Wired recently.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-battle ... t-shift/
So he asked the city's Department of Finance to give him a few years’ worth of sales figures for that stretch of Skillman Ave. How had the businesses on that street fared?

Quite well, it turns out. In the year after the bike lanes arrived, businesses on Skillman saw sales rise by 12 percent, compared to 3 percent for Queens in general. What’s more, that section of road saw new businesses open, while Queens overall had a net loss.

The thing is, the actual merchants along Skillman? They didn’t believe it. When Coburn spoke to them and described what he’d found, only a few store owners admitted the lanes had helped. Many still insisted the lanes were killing their part of the city. And emotions ran hot: Someone scattered tacks on the bike lane
Makes the good point that while it helps most, some are significantly impacted. And those are the stories told. Not the increase of 12% in sales for most businesses on a street, the one business that lost 40% of its business.

Sort of like the price of electronics dropping a bit and helping the economy, but most not noticing/commenting as they are shopping. However, they DO notice and talk about the factory that closed/relocated in the town over.

Hopefully not too political of a metaphor but it illustrated to me why this issue may have gotten so heated in KC
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

February 2nd, an ordnance to amend a previous ordinance is being introduced by Robinson and Ellington to remove Truman Road, from Holmes to Belmont from the bike network. The request also would direct the City Manager to remove the bike lanes within 60 days.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Title: Sponsor(s): Councilmembers Melissa Robinson and Brandon Ellington Amending Ordinance No. 220318 by removing "E. Truman Road from Holmes Street to Belmont Avenue" from the list of bicycle facilities to be implemented as part of the one-year work plan; and directing the City Manager to remove bike lanes from Truman Road within sixty days.
Sponsors:

https://kansascity.legistar.com/Legisla ... t|&Search=
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Prepare for a fiery TIO committee hearing! White supremacists! Spandex! Gentrification!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Bike advocates should prepare to sue the City over this.

What would the Council do if certain property owners demanded public sidewalks be removed so they could store vehicles in that space? There are plenty of public sidewalks around the City where few people walk.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

The fact that council members are actually cowtowing to these business owners, who have provided nothing but bad faith arguments and hostility, is an absolute sham.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I think it just shows how far the city has fallen. 3rd district is influenced more by Raytown than it is Downtown.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I just think we’re going to get to a point when bike lanes are somewhat common elsewhere in the city and the 3rd district will be saying “They never invest anything in our area.”
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:00 am I just think we’re going to get to a point when bike lanes are somewhat common elsewhere in the city and the 3rd district will be saying “They never invest anything in our area.”
It's tough. You can't get more investment without more demand. You can't get more demand without more people. You can't get more people without gentrification. "We hate gentrification."
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'm split.

On one hand, I'm pissed at the way the Truman Road Business owners have conducted themselves throughout this whole process (the threats, ridiculous signs, parking in the bike lane, claiming it's for "safety", saying their businesses lost customers, and people are "rats" for walking in the bike lanes).

On the other hand, I feel like just removing the Truman Road bike lanes is a short-term loss for long-term gain. The threat made by the good ole' boys to put the removal of bike lanes and traffic calming measures up for a city-wide vote via petition is something I'm concerned about. Do we really want to waste money on an election ballot just for that and waste money on a citywide campaign? If it comes down to it, sure, but we can just avoid this now. I imagine this city-wide vote would lose, but still. That's time, money and effort that we could put into other more important issues.

I'd say shifting the bike lanes to 12th and 18th would be better in the long-term than Truman simply because the reach to additional residents is higher on both corridors. Truman is lined with vacant/underutilized lots and buildings, auto-centric businesses and industrial usages until you get East of Jackson. Not to mention a group of people who will likely resort to violence if they don't get their way just based on their attitudes.

If I were in city government, I'd vote to remove the Truman Bike Lanes in order to avoid a potential costly city-wide vote while simultaneously introducing the alternative of having them on 12th and 18th.

Outside of this area, the opportunity to build a larger biking network and more pedestrian friendly infrastructure (that doubles as traffic calming) is there. We can focus our efforts and energy elsewhere and having longer term success.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:03 am
Cratedigger wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:00 am I just think we’re going to get to a point when bike lanes are somewhat common elsewhere in the city and the 3rd district will be saying “They never invest anything in our area.”
It's tough. You can't get more investment without more demand. You can't get more demand without more people. You can't get more people without gentrification. "We hate gentrification."
^^^This

And you can take things other than bike lanes and use this exact same logic with that area as well.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:54 pm
On the other hand, I feel like just removing the Truman Road bike lanes is a short-term loss for long-term gain. The threat made by the good ole' boys to put the removal of bike lanes and traffic calming measures up for a city-wide vote via petition is something I'm concerned about. Do we really want to waste money on an election ballot just for that and waste money on a citywide campaign? If it comes down to it, sure, but we can just avoid this now. I imagine this city-wide vote would lose, but still. That's time, money and effort that we could put into other more important issues.
+1

I think I agree with you but I hate caving in to their insanity/bullying and I hope it doesn’t set a precedent
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I still don't understand how this hurts their business. There is still parking lane right?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Still parking lanes, but people cannot understand that this is now 2 traffic lanes and not 4, do not understand where to park, afraid to park in parking lanes in fear of being rear ended by those who are driving like the parking lane is a driving lane.