Bike Lanes

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:59 am It's my experience that the only people who understand and/or pay attention to the painted markings are other bikers. If it's not a protected lane, bikers are smarter to take streets with less traffic.
The N. Oak shared path has concrete barriers alongside the southermost section at NKC. The barriers have tire marks on the vertical section.

A presentation on protected bike lanes needs to find all the good examples of black streaks on vertical barriers, it sells installing them better than anything.
benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by benjaminkelley »

Haven't looked in here for a bit. but my $0.02 on why we don't see the bike lanes on grand being used very often, I prefer to bike on Walnut, it's much more pleasant ride. I ride Grand occasionally, but usually only if i need to be at least that extra block east. That being said. I do see it getting used quite a bit. Even on the rare times that I'm on it, i see a couple other folks on it.

Gillham is super nice. I know the city site says they will go a block north and do 31'st to Linwood also. but I couldn't find anything on the city site for south of Armour, including the already completed section. Does anyone know how they are going to connect the south section to the north section? Is it all going on the east side of the park?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Rode the Gillham lanes from Crossroads to the Nelson on Monday. Nice! Will be even better when they fill in the gaps that will run off the street. Here's a more comprehensive view of the whole corridor: https://bikewalkkc.org/advocacy/gillham ... -projects/
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:02 pm Rode the Gillham lanes from Crossroads to the Nelson on Monday. Nice! Will be even better when they fill in the gaps that will run off the street. Here's a more comprehensive view of the whole corridor: https://bikewalkkc.org/advocacy/gillham ... -projects/
This looks like a really nice project. I just checked out Armour on google earth and that looks great and it's nice and lot too, not just a couple of blocks.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

City Manager’s comments on the burn outs and drag races downtown.
I think in general the way to solve this sort of thing is to redesign our streets to make them less drag strips and race tracks and more of neighborhood level streets that have slower speed limits, that are little narrower, that have different types of uses on them.

I’ve noticed there’s a lot of extra lanes everywhere on the streets, Its rare that I’m driving down a street and there are two lanes of traffic I’m driving with and than two lanes on the other side. It’s just so easy to go fast on streets like that.

Doing what we can to narrow those lanes, add bike facilities, add whatever it’s going to be, it could be outdoor seating for restaurants, it could be green space and so many things we could do with the streets that would make it harder to literally have a drag race street or do donuts and cover the street in burnt rubber. I think that’s the long-term fix.

There’s always that enforcement component, but the problem with relying on enforcement is when that enforcement is not there, the unwanted activity can theoretically just return.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:17 pm City Manager’s comments on the burn outs and drag races downtown.
I think in general the way to solve this sort of thing is to redesign our streets to make them less drag strips and race tracks and more of neighborhood level streets that have slower speed limits, that are little narrower, that have different types of uses on them.

I’ve noticed there’s a lot of extra lanes everywhere on the streets, Its rare that I’m driving down a street and there are two lanes of traffic I’m driving with and than two lanes on the other side. It’s just so easy to go fast on streets like that.

Doing what we can to narrow those lanes, add bike facilities, add whatever it’s going to be, it could be outdoor seating for restaurants, it could be green space and so many things we could do with the streets that would make it harder to literally have a drag race street or do donuts and cover the street in burnt rubber. I think that’s the long-term fix.

There’s always that enforcement component, but the problem with relying on enforcement is when that enforcement is not there, the unwanted activity can theoretically just return.
Awesome. Where was this? Do you have a link?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:19 pm
Awesome. Where was this? Do you have a link?
Sorry I thought I included it.

https://cityscenekc.com/new-city-manage ... -ballpark/
benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by benjaminkelley »

Gillham Protected Bike Lane Update! This evening K&G is striping the section between McGee Traffic way and where the previous north most section ended on Gillham Plaza just south of Linwood.
I didn't go further south to see if they were doing Gillham Rd. on the east side of Hyde Park while it's closed. If they didn't do this section, it leaves only ~5 blocks worth to be done.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

benjaminkelley wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm Gillham Protected Bike Lane Update! This evening K&G is striping the section between McGee Traffic way and where the previous north most section ended on Gillham Plaza just south of Linwood.
I didn't go further south to see if they were doing Gillham Rd. on the east side of Hyde Park while it's closed. If they didn't do this section, it leaves only ~5 blocks worth to be done.
Picture:
https://twitter.com/erogers/status/1390023216387792900

Exciting stuff, so glad to see this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

How far north is this going when it's all done?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:48 pm How far north is this going when it's all done?
mcGee
Work will begin on May 3, 2021 to continue the on-street cycle track north from Linwood to McGee Trafficway. We anticipate the project to take two weeks, weather permitting.
https://www.kcmo.gov/Home/Components/Fa ... ry/186/360
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I thought that said section 1 so was wondering if there are planned next phases or just standard KCMO piecemeal bike routes (although this one is a bit better length).

There is plenty of capacity to keep going.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Is that twitter pic the finished product? Just pavement markings?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Project drawings show flexible bollards
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:48 pm How far north is this going when it's all done?
Going to McGee is my understanding, where you'll take the angle over to Grand. Section through Crown Center rumored, but I haven't heard anything about timeline.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

GRID wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:58 pm Is that twitter pic the finished product? Just pavement markings?
No, despite our shortcomings we aren't quite that dense. Lol.

Vertical delineators and concrete curbs coming shortly. This project is exciting for a few reasons:

1. It was originally supposed to stop at 31st but has been extended northward to 29th/McGee (which gives the user a pretty comfortable connection over to Grand and onward to the Grand bike lanes into downtown).

2. The section between Linwood and 31st was originally supposed to go up onto a widened sidewalk so as to avoid taking a driving lane from cars. This was more expensive, required the removal of two mature trees and generally complicated the whole affair. Motivated city staff with council backing were able to simply remove one car travel lane in the section to GREATLY simplify the costs and construction. Love this kind of thinking.

3. We are now just a handful of blocks away from a complete buffered or separated bike path running from River Market to Cleaver Blvd. Some exciting network effects about to happen I predict!
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

smh wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:31 am
GRID wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:58 pm Is that twitter pic the finished product? Just pavement markings?

Vertical delineators and concrete curbs coming shortly. This project is exciting for a few reasons:

1. It was originally supposed to stop at 31st but has been extended northward to 29th/McGee (which gives the user a pretty comfortable connection over to Grand and onward to the Grand bike lanes into downtown).

2. The section between Linwood and 31st was originally supposed to go up onto a widened sidewalk so as to avoid taking a driving lane from cars. This was more expensive, required the removal of two mature trees and generally complicated the whole affair. Motivated city staff with council backing were able to simply remove one car travel lane in the section to GREATLY simplify the costs and construction. Love this kind of thinking.

3. We are now just a handful of blocks away from a complete buffered or separated bike path running from River Market to Cleaver Blvd. Some exciting network effects about to happen I predict!
That’s amazing which blocks are left? I remember desperately wanting something like that when I used to live in Midtown
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Awesome news. Thanks to everyone that put in work on this. I'm planning on using the entire length of this thing.

This 5-mile route took how long to get done? How do we accelerate that for future routes?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Riverite wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:59 am
smh wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:31 am

That’s amazing which blocks are left? I remember desperately wanting something like that when I used to live in Midtown
If my count is correct, the blocks remaining are 31st to Linwood (in progress) and then Armour to 39th. Not sure the status of the latter, I know it is planned but I don't know how far along in design. 39th to Cleaver is complete and very nice looking. On the north end, there is still a gap between McGee/27th and the start of the Grand bike lanes at 20th, but again I know there are talks of a connection through Crown Center and north. Grand is so wide north of Crown Center that putting in buffered lanes at a minimum should be straightforward.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:23 am Awesome news. Thanks to everyone that put in work on this. I'm planning on using the entire length of this thing.

This 5-mile route took how long to get done? How do we accelerate that for future routes?
I think you can expect more, more quickly, in the future. A combination of motivated councilperson, fresh blood in public works, and a city manager who also understands biking are beginning to work in our favor. Also this stuff is cheap! And makes us look progressive! And will help our health! etc etc, so it's a no-brainer, imho.