Bike Lanes

Transportation topics in KC
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by dnweava »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:55 pm Thanks for the anecdotes!
Sarcasm? Honestly can't tell lol.

But I'd also add I've never seen anywhere that a protected bike lane was added to wyandotte south of 31st, saw that for the first time today and it's not on Google maps bike map. Is there somebody from the city that informs Google to update that?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Weird, I was out for a 15-minute drive from my house to the crossroads around lunch yesterday and I saw about eight different bikers on the Gilliam cycle track.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

dnweava wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:21 pm But I'd also add I've never seen anywhere that a protected bike lane was added to wyandotte south of 31st, saw that for the first time today and it's not on Google maps bike map. Is there somebody from the city that informs Google to update that?
I submitted an edit request on Google Maps to get that segment added.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

The way the council is handling the bike lane implementation is incredibly frustrating
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:25 pm The way the council is handling the bike lane implementation is incredibly frustrating
Can you elaborate, whats going down?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:35 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:25 pm The way the council is handling the bike lane implementation is incredibly frustrating
Can you elaborate, whats going down?
The TIO committee just voted to hold the proposed bike lane on Clever off docket. TBD on if that public meeting that was supposed to be held May 15th will still happen.

This twitter thread breaks it down better than I could

https://twitter.com/mattstephenskc/stat ... 92239?s=20
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Thanks!
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Yikes, that was rough. Basically year 2 of the 5-year Bike Plan implementation never got put together and taken to Council. Indictment on all. While likely affected by Truman saga, clearly needs to be much stronger coordination btwn depts.

Bunch trying to push through planned bike lanes in his district (+ importantly connecting to Gillham) with current resurfacing of Cleaver (an every 15 year event?).

Robinson started by clearly targeting Platt (don't believe was present) for "issues in the process of how this came about" – she wasn't willing to into details in open session, calling it a personnel issue.

Robinson then blamed Bunch for not doing the bike lane for all of Cleaver being resurfaced (which stretches into her district). Believe Bunch would have gladly added that, but the questioning did not feel in good faith.

Would think they still have the 5/15 meeting, more feedback will be helpful in moving forward. Hopefully this brings year 2 of Bike Plan implementation to forefront.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Have confirmed meeting Monday will still happen, staff just may not be able to comment on the situation
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Continues to be deeply frustrating that the merits of every bike lane in KCMO must be debated for months/years. The city has so much excess pavement, you could take a lane from every arterial tomorrow and see no impact on car travel. The streets are absurdly wide in almost all locations, even residential neighborhoods.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It's not about infrastructure, unfortunately.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:37 pm It's not about infrastructure, unfortunately.
Definitely. Is this all driven by Robinson? Does anyone know what exactly she wants? I assume not or it would have been sorted by now.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

smh wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:11 am Definitely. Is this all driven by Robinson? Does anyone know what exactly she wants? I assume not or it would have been sorted by now.
What every politician wants..
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:25 am
smh wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:11 am Definitely. Is this all driven by Robinson? Does anyone know what exactly she wants? I assume not or it would have been sorted by now.
I was going to say Hookers and Blow, but since it's a politician I'll clean it up a bit...

Kickbacks and Ass-kissers
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:25 am
Higher office?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

smh wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:11 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:37 pm It's not about infrastructure, unfortunately.
Definitely. Is this all driven by Robinson? Does anyone know what exactly she wants? I assume not or it would have been sorted by now.
She wants a different City Manager because the current one is not the correct ethnicity in her mind. And she's gone mad with power!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:39 am
smh wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:11 am
She wants a different City Manager because the current one is not the correct ethnicity in her mind. And she's gone mad with power!
She needs to move on.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:39 amShe wants a different City Manager because the current one is not the correct ethnicity in her mind. And she's gone mad with power!
???
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:54 am
Critical_Mass wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:39 amShe wants a different City Manager because the current one is not the correct ethnicity in her mind. And she's gone mad with power!
???
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ka ... rian-platt

viewtopic.php?p=658212&hilit=platt#p658212

viewtopic.php?p=658918&hilit=platt#p658918