Ambassador

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by KCPowercat »

Spire and or KC water licking their lips to tear that up
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:56 am Spire and or KC water licking their lips to tear that up
LOL, probably. Since you mentioned Water Services, they have a new director (Wes Minder). Terry Leeds just retired.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:56 am Spire and or KC water licking their lips to tear that up
Next on the list after they "finish" working on the very north end of the PBL on Oak.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Attended the first of two virtual meetings discussing the 1 & 5 year bike plans. Lots of good commentary and a promising expansion to what we have now.

Just this year we can (hopefully) look forward to the following in the DT area:

- Cycle track extended up Oak I believe to 12th St (Future cycle track on 12th via complete streets study)

- Connection to the current 18th street lanes from Oak will route E/W on 19th and N/S on Holmes (most likely to avoid Stretch property- not stated, just my idea as to why 18th wasn't logically used).

- Grand from 10th-Truman will get parking protected lanes on each side. Nothing being done SoT.

- Cherry will get protected lanes in CP to connect to 3rd/HOA bridge.

- Cesar Chavez will get parking protected lanes to the west bottoms.

Lots and lots of E/W connection in midtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Any Paseo talk? I thought that was in the bag happening
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I checked out 45 minutes into meeting but no mention on Paseo. Lexington, Truman Rd, 22nd/23rd, and 27th might get done this year.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

gfenn11 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:56 pm Attended the first of two virtual meetings discussing the 1 & 5 year bike plans. Lots of good commentary and a promising expansion to what we have now.

- Cycle track extended up Oak I believe to 12th St (Future cycle track on 12th via complete streets study)

- Connection to the current 18th street lanes from Oak will route E/W on 19th and N/S on Holmes (most likely to avoid Stretch property- not stated, just my idea as to why 18th wasn't logically used).

- Grand from 10th-Truman will get parking protected lanes on each side. Nothing being done SoT.

How did you access this meeting, is it archived, and when is the next one? Sounds like a good roundup of priorities. I upgraded my bike over the winter and will be biking a lot more this year.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:01 pm
gfenn11 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:56 pm Attended the first of two virtual meetings discussing the 1 & 5 year bike plans. Lots of good commentary and a promising expansion to what we have now.

How did you access this meeting, is it archived, and when is the next one? Sounds like a good roundup of priorities. I upgraded my bike over the winter and will be biking a lot more this year.
Here's a link next meeting is tmrw @ noon CT
https://bikewalkkc.org/blog/2022/04/wil ... -from-you/
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

daGOAT wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:27 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:01 pm

Here's a link next meeting is tmrw @ noon CT
https://bikewalkkc.org/blog/2022/04/wil ... -from-you/
Thanks!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

daGOAT wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:32 pm I checked out 45 minutes into meeting but no mention on Paseo. Lexington, Truman Rd, 22nd/23rd, and 27th might get done this year.
27th from Gillham to Charlotte (Holmes?) is in. It can't really go further west because PW moved the curbs as part of the Gallerie project.

I have an email from KCPW saying that when they finished the design they would bid out Lexignton/Gladstone and parts of Paseo along with the Paseo Gatweay project. That was August, 2017. Since then, I've heard that the churches aren't happy with the idea of bike lanes. So that may be part of it.

Around that time, there were public meetings about Troost bike lanes. In the meetings, the city's planning consultant was working hard to kill the idea and I haven't heard anything about that since.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

chaglang wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:54 pm
daGOAT wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:32 pm I checked out 45 minutes into meeting but no mention on Paseo. Lexington, Truman Rd, 22nd/23rd, and 27th might get done this year.
27th from Gillham to Charlotte (Holmes?) is in. It can't really go further west because PW moved the curbs as part of the Gallerie project.

I have an email from KCPW saying that when they finished the design they would bid out Lexignton/Gladstone and parts of Paseo along with the Paseo Gatweay project. That was August, 2017. Since then, I've heard that the churches aren't happy with the idea of bike lanes. So that may be part of it.

Around that time, there were public meetings about Troost bike lanes. In the meetings, the city's planning consultant was working hard to kill the idea and I haven't heard anything about that since.
27th will go East to Blue Valley Park.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Found an interesting podcast that is done by some bike/walk advocates out of Omaha. They did an episode on KC last year. I've listened to a few episodes now and it's really interesting to hear the struggles they have with the city government in Omaha and makes me feel pretty lucky activism in our city has lead to a relatively strong bike plan and having allies on the council for those issues. One episode went into the issue they have with a strong mayor system and their mayor is going on 3 terms and is hostile to their goals.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/a ... 0535630118
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Looks like the redesigned Grand has begun. There are endcaps of medians in a couple locations. Has anyone seen the redesigned plans?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Fountains wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:01 am Hey dumb question I'm getting an ebike is there a good bike map? I tried bikewalkkc but for whatever reason my phone just doesn't like their website.
https://www.marc.org/regional-trails-bikeways-map
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

The city may apply for 30m from the feds for more road diets.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

The Oak st. extension of the Gillham lanes are now marked up to 18th, so it should be happening soon. They also put up bollards at 19th to keep people from unloading their uHauls at the base of the bridge.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

is there going to be a jog over to Grand from 18th?
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:10 pm is there going to be a jog over to Grand from 18th?
No, I believe they were thinking of adding parking protected or a cycletrak to 19th for the two blocks. It will keep going up Oak until 12th to meet up with the one there in the future.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm all for bike lanes but I don't get our putting bike lanes two blocks apart going thr same direction?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Is there a master plan for all of this somewhere?