Bike Lanes

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by KCPowercat »

They just park customers cars there why do they care if someone hits it.

No sense. 7 lanes of traffic and never ever busy
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

moderne wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:01 pm Still parking lanes, but people cannot understand that this is now 2 traffic lanes and not 4, do not understand where to park, afraid to park in parking lanes in fear of being rear ended by those who are driving like the parking lane is a driving lane.
Poor execution by the city for sure, but also the contractor used to resurface the road by the sounds of it half assed the work on here and didn’t quite get stuff done in the timeline needed
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

'No Place To Park'
Entitled Drivers Have Been Whining for 100 Years!
Nonetheless, the car-owning minority of New York feels that free parking is it inalienable right. A safety improvement that might save the life of a kid or a neighbor are still met with outrage from drivers — and the media plays along, hyping how hard it is to park. But some reporters get it.
As early as 1917, car owners started asserting their entitlement to simply swipe the public curbside space. As detailed by the Brooklyn Eagle, the practice of storing a car in the public right of way was so bizarre that the police commissioner ordered a crackdown.
The irony is that at the time, local merchants complained that car drivers who parked against the curb were deterring customers (the opposite complaint is made today).
“In those days, people thought that the streets should not be used to store automobiles,” the legendary parking expert Donald Shoup of UCLA, told Streetsblog the other day. The shift, he said, “was that drivers kept insisting, ‘Here’s all this wonderful space that you prohibit us from using.’”
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2023/01/31/ ... 100-years/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

On Truman they never painted in markings for the parking lane. I can see how people can be confused. For a good example of how to do a well marked aesthetically pleasing bike lane look at Armour Road in NKC. Well marked on pavement, no ugly visual clutter of bollards. They have islands at intersections so through traffic does not drive into parking lanes. They are like the bump out peninsulas on Broadway, but with a passage next to curbs for bikes. Elsewhere instead of bollards they have concrete bumpers similar to those in parking lots, but rounded with no sharp corners.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

What was the result of the Transportation, Infrastructure and Operations Committee meeting? I hear it may have been removal on the north side of Truman for a cycle track on the south side?

If so, I'm all for that compromise. Personally, I prefer the dedicated cycle tracks rather than the bike lanes on each side of the street
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:44 pm What was the result of the Transportation, Infrastructure and Operations Committee meeting? I hear it may have been removal on the north side of Truman for a cycle track on the south side?

If so, I'm all for that compromise. Personally, I prefer the dedicated cycle tracks rather than the bike lanes on each side of the street
Yes, I heard it will be changed to a cycle track on the south side. I'm sure they'll figure it out, but there are a lot of curb cuts. It also adds cost. But, hey, I guess this shit has to be messy because climate crisis. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

When we do these why don't we reevaluate curb cuts. The oak lanes through crossroads is ridiculous. Bollards every 4 feet for another curb cut.

No matter but lanes we need to look where curb cuts don't make sense anymore
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.transportation.gov/grants/ss4a/2022-awards

Missed this with all the talk about bike lanes yesterday but the city received nearly a million dollars for continued work towards Vision Zero and Safe Streets.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:21 am https://www.transportation.gov/grants/ss4a/2022-awards

Missed this with all the talk about bike lanes yesterday but the city received nearly a million dollars for continued work towards Vision Zero and Safe Streets.
UG also got $500K.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:21 am https://www.transportation.gov/grants/ss4a/2022-awards

UG also got $500K.
Any project have those funds earmarked for it to your knowledge?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

These are both "action plan" awards, so they won't build anything. Hopefully the money will yield better plans that can go beyond the quick hits from the Vision Zero plan.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Dubai could get a 93-kilometer indoor cycling super highway

http://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/t ... _term=link
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question so someone please point me in the right direction if it isn't. I saw that the city is repaving Cleaver/47th this week. Do we know if there are any plans to add protected bike lanes on this road? The road is so wide already it could lose one lane to bike traffic and nobody would notice. Plus it would mostly connect to the bike lanes going up Gillham.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

SHPNeighbor wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:43 am I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question so someone please point me in the right direction if it isn't. I saw that the city is repaving Cleaver/47th this week. Do we know if there are any plans to add protected bike lanes on this road? The road is so wide already it could lose one lane to bike traffic and nobody would notice. Plus it would mostly connect to the bike lanes going up Gillham.
That question was asked to the city manager on Twitter a couple times, but I never saw an answer from any official on it. That road was mentioned a while back as having a plan for bike lanes, so I’d assume it’s happening, but it’s not been confirmed yet
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

there are unprotected bike lanes on Cleaver between Rockhill and Troost. It's a weird area because you have all kinds of bikeable paths down the Brush Creek corridor, which could be used instead of Cleaver, but the area is poorly connected to the Gilliam cycle track. It's one of the worst gaps in the system.

But yes, Cleaver can handle a protected lane or a cycle track. Put one on Oak between MLK and Cleaver while you're at it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Word on the street is that CM Bunch is working on this issue.
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

Thanks for the info everyone. The unprotected bike lane is scary at best on Cleaver right now. It would be nice to have the ability to bike in a protected lane right into the plaza and to the new streetcar stop at 47th and Main.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Actually saw a small SUV driving down the bike lane on Armour Rd in NKC near the Post Office. Somehow its wheel base fit exactly in the lane.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

So i did a ton of driving in the city this week and even with the nice weather, i saw almost nobody using bike lanes and even worse, i saw multiple times people riding on the sidewalk on a street with a protected bike lanes, WTF.... Seems armour and Gilliam get a some traffic, grand downtown has very little use outside of annoying teens on scooters. I've still never seen a bike on the Charlotte or Truman bike lanes.

What really irks me is in the northland tons of bikers ride in the full lane when there is a bike lane/trail width sidewalk.

It's extremely discouraging, almost like all the bike lanes are a waste of money since even when they are available people still ride in the sidewalks or the street... For future bike infrastructure we need to focus on bike only corridors, look at the line creek trail, gets a $#**ton of bike traffic ( recreational not commuters tho) because it's not next to noisy traffic,. It's where i ride my bike. I know i personally have zero interest in riding my bike down shoal Creek or chaoutou parkways inches from cars flying way over the speed limit and i don't use the 152 tail because of the highway noise.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Thanks for the anecdotes!