Birch Telecom

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Birch Telecom

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Interesting discussion from the President of Birch. The city needs to invest in the infrastructure down there, otherwise companies are going to get frustrated and bale for the suburbs.

Down the road, Scott said the company is interested in consolidating its Kansas City employees in one location. While that does not directly effect where the new jobs will end up, it could play a part, he said.

“We're looking at what we do when our leases come up and how we get people a little more pulled together,â€
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Birch Telecom

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

This should be under the downtown forum, can you move it? Alot of people would love to talk about this. What are the chances of Birch building a signifigant structure ( highrise) in the crossroads district?
scooterj
Ambassador

Birch Telecom

Post by scooterj »

Birch is still a pretty young startup and has had more than its share of struggles. I think it'd be quite a risky leap for them to build a glistening new tower. I think it'd be more likely they'd renovate a large, vacant building (if there are any left by the time their current lease expires) or consolidate in available space in one of the existing highrises.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Birch Telecom

Post by KC0KEK »

I agree that "it'd be quite a risky leap for them to build a glistening new tower." That said, they're also one of the few surviving CLECs, and they seem to have a decent shot at success. If they continue to grow, they could wind up employing a couple thousand people just in the metro in a few years. They would make a good anchor for just about any urban area.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Birch Telecom

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

Ok, in a year if they grow by 10% - They wouldn't consider building a 10-14 story building? Are there any other technology companies that would want to relocate and occupy with Birch in the artsy-hip Crossroads in first class space? The building could be done in the 2 years left on thier lease after that. Just dreaming....
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Birch Telecom

Post by trailerkid »

Birch has a lot of gonads demanding the city to fix the streetscape of the Crossroads. Because of the artists and designers in the area, it seems to promote a real creative vibe. I thought you would move there because you want to be part of it-- not to use it to leverage the city.

I agree that sidewalks and trees and streetscape need a lot of work in the crossroads, but guess what Birch????!!!! Sidewalks, trees and streetscape need a lot of help all over the city. Why don't some of these companies put their money where their mouth is and start making campaigns with Cauthen to raise money to improve streetscape and make sure the city maintains them.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Birch Telecom

Post by ShowME »

Can't stand CLEC's. Come on take some of the money you save by touting your service and the money you make against the Tier 1 providers such as Sprint, AT&T, WorldCONN etc. and reinvest in your surroundings. I guess if there's one reseller that I wanna see make it I guess it's Birch. Would the Kansas Burbs even have the nads to give them big time tax breaks to relocate. You know there's a good chance it could blow up in your face. That being said if I was KC I would at least offer them something in between what was offered to the Folger's plant just north of the loop and American Airlines. Sorry I really would!!
Calling a spade a spade.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Birch Telecom

Post by tat2kc »

Birch actually spent a lot of money renovating their current location, even before Lydias was in the freighthouse. They are correct about the infrasturcture being very poor down there. There is no sidewalk connecting their two locations. Originally, they explored the Stuart Hall building, but got nowhere with the city in terms of any improvements. Hell, if the city would even clean the storm drains once in a while that would help. There are a of places cheaper than the current location they are in, and they've stayed put. Even through the bankruptcy, they could have bailed on their lease but didn't. 500 jobs is nothing to sneeze at. The city ought to at least listen to em.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Birch Could Move Into Old Fed Reserve Space

Post by FangKC »

Maybe by then Birch could move into the Federal Reserve Bank on 10th and Grand after they move to their new building.
There is no fifth destination.
BOB
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Birch Telecom

Post by BOB »

Birch is an interesting case. They've gone from 13 jobs to 500 in the last six years, and average $60,000 per job. They tried to lease the Power and Light building but Centertainment got in the way--and they moved out of the loop even though they didn't want to. They've renovated two derelict buildings in the Crossroads. They have never been demanding of the City, and haven't yet played the development incentive game like HR Block, Waddell & Reed, HOK, Midland Loan, Sprint and nearly any other company of their size.

I know from sources that their leadership would like to see enlightened moves by city government as much or more than just typical $$ thrown at companies to relocate, such as (1) streetscape/pedestrian improvements, (2) mass transit improvements, (3) zoning and tax law changes to make restaurants, galleries and stores more viable, (4) helpful Codes Administration, (5) less bureaucracy for startup businesses, etc. But will City Hall listen?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Birch Telecom

Post by tat2kc »

They moved into the freightouse district before lidia's redid their building. they've done a nice job in restoring their buildings, and are good neighbors. I don't think it is unreasonable at all for them to ask for the relatively minor improvements they've wanted.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Birch Telecom

Post by trailerkid »

The Crossroads may be the best kept secret in the Midwest. Yes, it needs infrastructure repairs, but it is hot, hot, hot!

It may ruin the homegrown vibe, but the city could easily market the area to a high-tech headquarters. If I had a company it would one of my first choices for a headquarters because you are literally surrounded by artists and creative people. It rubs off on your business.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Birch Telecom

Post by FangKC »

Businesses of this type undergoing phenomenal growth should especially be given attention, since they may become the future Hallmark Cards or Sprint. They are job incubators, and attract the creative class a city needs to remain vibrant.

One wonders how different Kansas City would be now if Walt Disney could have made a go of it here, instead of having to move to California? Disney is among the biggest and most powerful companies in the world now. Disney might never have needed to move to California. Afterall, animation didn't require a good year-round climate like other traditional movie studios did. When Disney made the move, many of his animators lived here in Kansas City, and relocated with him. They stayed with him throughout their careets.

Kansas City would be a much different place had Walt Disney been given incentives early in his career that might have made it possible to stay here in KC.
There is no fifth destination.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Birch Telecom

Post by tat2kc »

We can be thankful H&R Block, Hallmark, and American Century were founded by Kansas Citians and that they stayed here, and stayed in the urban core. Our ability to encourage growth in American Century has paid off in the creation of the Stowers Institute. People bitch all the time about the evils of corporate America, but these three Kansas City home grown companies are conisitantly ranked among the best places to work in the nation. We ought to be damn proud of them. If Birch Telecom grows and prospers in a cut throat industry, we'll have one more jewel in our crown! They are not asking a lot of the city, we need to nurse them along and make sure the city leaders are cooperative and helpful to them, as much or more so than they are in bringing in companies from outisde.