OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by flyingember »

The part that gets me on missing fast food is the missing support for tourists/events.

Any idea I could think of that somehow downtown doesn't have the right demographics is voided by this idea.

Sidewalks being empty wouldn't be relevant today to opening one along the streetcar and there hasn't been a sign of that in the past few years from most brands. Going back further even a long running walking friendly location like The Plaza doesn't have (much( fast food within easy reach of it, even just outside the core shops. There have been a few but not as much as I would expect.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:02 pm The part that gets me on missing fast food is the missing support for tourists/events.

Any idea I could think of that somehow downtown doesn't have the right demographics is voided by this idea.

Sidewalks being empty wouldn't be relevant today to opening one along the streetcar and there hasn't been a sign of that in the past few years from most brands. Going back further even a long running walking friendly location like The Plaza doesn't have (much( fast food within easy reach of it, even just outside the core shops. There have been a few but not as much as I would expect.
My guess is that drive thru requirements stop the placing of fast food restaurants DT. I'd think that Midtown will see many more in the near future. Dunkin Donuts is adding a location across from Costco and every time I've gone to fast food in Midtown (the older chains: MCD-2, Wendy's, Subway, etc) the lines are extremely long. Just haven't seen any of the new players make the jump yet.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I think once the office people return and we all come back into the light things will change. Yes the pandemic has shown work from home will work, but it has it challenges and the office building will still be needed. I'm hoping that the economy gets back up to speed quickly which will allow for new and exciting things to happen. I work downtown and can't wait to get back. But I di find it odd the lack of fast food joints, especially when you factor the convention crowds and office workers. I would think fast food places could adjust their schedules to be open when the people are there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Infamously the McDonalds franchise owner that "owns" the downtown market demands a drive thru
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:42 pm Infamously the McDonalds franchise owner that "owns" the downtown market demands a drive thru
We can totally live without this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just addressing the topic of chains downtown. While I don't mind it, it would add value for many visiting downtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:42 pm Infamously the McDonalds franchise owner that "owns" the downtown market demands a drive thru
I would hope if enough competition appears without a drive thru they'll change their mind.

The one that was on the Plaza didn't have one.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Neither did the downtown one. They are both closed so not sure that's a great data point
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Ugh. Just TIF a Carl's Jr.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:08 pm Ugh. Just TIF a Carl's Jr.
Didn't work for Whopper Bar
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is a reason the Cosentinos buffet lines are popular. Meals at that price point when people come downtown for events with families doesn't exist in many current food establishments.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Need more spaces constructed in new buildings downtown that have infrastructure for kitchens, refrigeration, storage, and venting.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't know how widespread this is, but the company I work for is letting employees decide whether or not to return to the office. Indications are that most won't come back. In some ways I think that kinda sucks, but once the tide started leaning that way, I was sucked in by it as well. Who wants to go work in an empty office? At least at home I can have my cat in my lap (or, vastly more likely, laying on my keyboard or trying to attack my mouse cursor... hmmm, actually, maybe I should reconsider...)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think a lot will try it right now because commanding everybody come back 100% would be an employee relations disaster. After that, we will see changes and ultimately see more in the office, most doing a hybrid thing.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^A JLL report claims that WFH was 8% of Fortune 500 office workers before COVID. Is likely it will settle into place higher than that given WFH tech/practices have improved (including IT/HR onboarding/provisioning) and some companies were planning to boost WFH before COVID anyway. JLL thinks WFH will hit 20% by end of this year. If it holds steady at 20% or higher, not great news for office industry.

Rotating employees in without dedicated desks might become more commonplace, but that reduces space needs in the long run. I didn't have a dedicated desk my last job for many years, work from anywhere. Sometimes in office 1-2 times a week, sometimes not for a month or so while perhaps working from a friend/relative's place somewhere else.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Starbucks gone. Will be renovated in Made in KC Coffee
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:04 pm Starbucks gone. Will be renovated in Made in KC Coffee
In addition to the one a block away?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I was assuming it would replace the one in the New Yorker, which would be a little unfortunate (I love them in that space) but possibly a more prominent location? You know what they say about assumptions though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A Starbucks will have to popup somewhere in the loop.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

mean wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:33 pm I was assuming it would replace the one in the New Yorker, which would be a little unfortunate (I love them in that space) but possibly a more prominent location? You know what they say about assumptions though.
That New Yorker spot is bigger right? So this spot would just be coffee?