OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Post by mean »

Possibly, the New Yorker spot is definitely larger than I imagined from outside.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Riverite wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:01 am
mean wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:33 pm I was assuming it would replace the one in the New Yorker, which would be a little unfortunate (I love them in that space) but possibly a more prominent location? You know what they say about assumptions though.
That New Yorker spot is bigger right? So this spot would just be coffee?
Definitely a more prominent space, though smaller. I never got the impression that the tap room concept really took off for them prior to the last year. That space in the New Yorker seems like it could make for a great cozy restaurant. But of course it would require a kitchen, etc etc which would be expensive.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Their cocktail business was way higher than I ever expected at that location. Seemed like there was always someone on their parklet
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:01 am Their cocktail business was way higher than I ever expected at that location. Seemed like there was always someone on their parklet
Oh man, admittedly I haven't been around since the parklet arrived so my info maybe is out of date it sounds like.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This is the former lounge in the New Yorker Hotel.

Last edited by FangKC on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:33 pm This is the former lounge in the New Yorker Hotel.

Amazing!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Baltimore location staying open
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Reimagined Lightwell ready to take innovation hub mantle as KC’s tech talent return to the office

https://www.startlandnews.com/2021/05/l ... wntown-kc/
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I'm not sure why this place is treated like it's done. Many of the exterior windows have yet to be replaced

https://cityscenekc.com/renovated-light ... ce-market/
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Well, I hope this place is ready to get busy. My division of about 500 people next door at 1KC Place will be back in the office workweeks starting September 7.

Mostly people asked questions about parking (always a favorite topic for KC Rag lololol), but a few asked about the amenities nearby. I actually have no idea what is still open downtown and what has closed. Starbucks is gone, but Cosentino's remains. Otherwise, who knows?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

picklemans, planet sub, jasons, the deli on petticoat have all been steadily open.

wrap it up (formerly lightwell, now 9th and baltimore) has been more or less steadily open. milwaukee deli, jimmy johns, mildreds all about the same too in a similar fast casual footprint. plowboys is undergoing renovations. not sure on current status.

open coffee shops nearby include made in KC on baltimore, PT's in power and light, spokes 10th and walnut.

P&L hours are heavily reduced. chipotle and johnnys seem to be about the only ones at regular hours. ice house (5 days/ week), brgr (not positive), bristol (maybe normal?), guy fieri's flavor town (idk), mcfaddens (idk???) are at least sometimes options.

closed still/maybe forever: charisse, flying saucer, asian place next to deli on petticoat, juice place in town pavilion, all the food court type places in lightwell, USPS in lightwell, leinie's lodge, p&L burger king, p&L mixx.

i think early/mid september is a big inflection point for a lot of offices so i expect some of these to get back to more full hours by then.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If we could just get another 25-30 percent vaccinated in MO and KS by September, I think things will right themselves. The fact that Jackson County is among the lower vaccinated counties in the area is especially concerning.

People refusing to get vaccinated don't seem to realize they are just delaying things returning to normal.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Until we understand how hybrid WHF plays out in the long term, it could be a while before office lunchtime foot traffic comes back. Even if office workers 100% vaccinated, hybrid WFH appears to be a real thing now. The only question is to what degree when the dust settles.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

herrfrank wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:49 pm Well, I hope this place is ready to get busy. My division of about 500 people next door at 1KC Place will be back in the office workweeks starting September 7.

Mostly people asked questions about parking (always a favorite topic for KC Rag lololol), but a few asked about the amenities nearby. I actually have no idea what is still open downtown and what has closed. Starbucks is gone, but Cosentino's remains. Otherwise, who knows?
Same here. I work in 1KCP for evergy. Not sure when I'm going back, probably around the same time. But have been told we can still work from home a couple days a week. So I've already got dual monitors, had to order a used docking station off ebay and splitters for the monitors so I can have the same setup and just dock/re-dock my laptop.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Power washing

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

This is an old picture from BEFORE the renovation, for comparison

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Dubbed the “Strang Chef Collective at Lightwell,” the incoming concept is expected to bring two new food and beverage concepts in a single destination spanning 4,805 square feet in the building — the current Jason’s Deli space — plus outdoor seating on Main Street. The curated market will serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner and will include an organic coffee, tea and juice shop as well as a full-service bar, according to Menlo.
Opens March 2022.

Jason's Deli is moving to the old Mama Tio's space in Town Pavilion.

Made in KC Cafe opens in "early 2022".

https://www.startlandnews.com/2021/10/s ... lightwell/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The food hall was long rumored. Glad it's happening
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FangKC wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:58 pm OP food hall concept could come to downtown tower

Tim Barton, the developer behind the Strang Hall chef collective in downtown Overland Park, is in late-stage discussions to bring a similar concept to Lightwell, the 30-story tower at 11th and Main streets.

Should the deal close, Barton’s concept would take about 13,000 square feet on the first floor of the building and include approximately five chefs. The food hall would replace the building’s now gutted cafeteria space, which shuttered for renovations in the fall.

https://tinyurl.com/vx3b46n
Seems like this is finally moving forward. They announced their first chef for the downtown location.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -chef.html