Crown Center: urban disaster, shining star, or in-between

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Crown Center: urban disaster, shining star, or in-between

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

kcjak wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:20 am I went to the top of the Westin several times just before it closed - it was a bar/lounge that featured a piano and vocalist. It was in pretty bad shape, but the views were amazing. How is it possible that the space couldn't make money (or at least be self-sustaining) solely on renting it out as wedding/event space? From the gym/pool to the tennis courts/track from top to bottom so many missed or wasted opportunities.
Seriously. That sports deck is such a waste. It has great views and is just sitting there. There is so much potential that they could unlock.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:21 am
kcjak wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:20 am I went to the top of the Westin several times just before it closed - it was a bar/lounge that featured a piano and vocalist. It was in pretty bad shape, but the views were amazing. How is it possible that the space couldn't make money (or at least be self-sustaining) solely on renting it out as wedding/event space? From the gym/pool to the tennis courts/track from top to bottom so many missed or wasted opportunities.
Seriously. That sports deck is such a waste. It has great views and is just sitting there. There is so much potential that they could unlock.
They do still rent out both Benton's and the Rooftop Deck for events.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

GRID wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:35 pm
empires228 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:57 pm
Link2 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:10 pm

It may be related to this from years ago: https://www.kmbc.com/article/man-dies-a ... el/3671217
Could be, but they were either still accessible right before Covid or people force their way out onto them as people were trying to watch the Super Bowl parade from there. No one was up there come the ceremony though… I wonder if the hotel sent staff around to tell them to get off?
I stay at that hotel every so often and the balcony doors have been locked for many years prior to covid. I do think it had to do with that fall. They seem to have cameras that face the building or maybe even sensors on the doors because if you do open them it doesn't take long for management to call or show up.
I remember the lady who watched the parade next to me was worried that the balconies would collapse with so many people out there and by the time the parade got to us, we noticed that no one was outside at the Westin anymore. I've stayed at St. Louis Westin at a cheap rate during the pandemic and it definitely puts our local property to shame by a longshot.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I just saw a comment in a different thread about how Hallmark has been a huge impetus in keeping Crown Center going after all these years. Hallmark is huge on community impact, especially with Children's Mercy, Harvesters and some other charities, but it's unlikely that Hallmark would benefit too much from a non-stop transatlantic route - the bulk of their international travel is to/from China, although there is a small bit to/from England.

Also, it was just announced that due to the current (and likely future) state of post-pandemic workforce logistics, it was announced last week that all Crown Center Hallmark employees would be relocated to 8th and 9th floors of the main HQ building. All employees had already been moved out of the 2400 buildings, so this is mostly condensing most employees in the main building onto two floors (ninth floor is really about half a floor) and moving just about everyone out of the old original building that fronts Grand.

Since the return to the office post-pandemic last summer, most employees are encouraged to work in the office only part of the week, with many employees in the office from 1-3 days/week (I'm 100% working from home). Employees in the office at least three days a week will have a dedicated cubicle, while others will use larger social areas or hotel seating (reserving a desk for specific hours/days, as needed).

While there are still loading docks, the visitor center and Kaleidoscope remaining in the Grand building, I have to wonder if those could/would all be moved out into the old Halls space to free up the building for repurposing. There is some parking on the roof of the building, as well as in half the garage to the south that is freed up with the fewer employees working on site. I have no information on that happening, but seems like opening that building up to additional residential or the elusive Target would be a great way to get some income and activity.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

always thought that luxury senior living makes sense in Crown Center. 365 of good weather and walkable shops
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That's already San Fran tower.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

LOL when the elevators are working

I know at least one well-known KC senior who twice had to walk up 28 floors.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Crown Center Adds Two Retail Tenants, Close to Full Occupancy
The Crown Center shopping center is close to full occupancy after adding two new businesses, Empanada Madness and The Electronics Store.
Empanada Madness is relocating to the first floor at Crown Center after operating its restaurant specializing in cuisine from Venezuela and Colombia on Southwest Boulevard for 10 years.
The Electronics Store opened in December on the second floor of Crown Center after operating in Johnson County.

The business sells new and refurbished electronics including desktop and laptop computers, televisions, mobile phones, smart watches, earbuds, Bluetooth speakers and accessories. It also does repairs and maintenance for any brand of computer and Apple iPhones.
https://cityscenekc.com/crown-center-ad ... 36Ur_svXYM
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I guess Christmas Con a convention for fans of the Hallmark movies is being held this weekend... in OP

Surprised this isn't in Crown Center.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 47091.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Crown Center lacks a vibrancy that the planned residential projects would have brought
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I think there were supposed to be three towers, not two.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There appear to be more than three. It's hard to assess whether the towers are intended to be commercial or residential though.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I wonder if it were built, as presented back in the day, if it would still be devoid of life. The residential buildings that currently exist shun the city at street level, as do the office buildings, so I imagine this would've been the case on an even larger scale.

I'm hopeful that Hallmark can come around and sell off the undeveloped land for residential usages. Get the neighborhood going and active. Its time.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I believe the northern part would be much like it is today. I agree that part shuns the street and doesn't provide for a very pleasant walkable environment.

If built all at once, the southern part probably would have followed that pattern.

There were some drawings a few years ago with developed parcels on the south end that suggested a more dynamic street environment.

Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

That was a much better version, why did they abandon Main Street?
Their densest buildings were envisioned along Main.
They obviously decided to make Grand their front.
Is it possible they could still build something narrow along Main?
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Did anyone else go on the tour on Saturday? The answer about Skies ever rotating again is a definitive no.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

empires228 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:42 pm Did anyone else go on the tour on Saturday? The answer about Skies ever rotating again is a definitive no.
Why? How is that hotel doing anyway? I still hope that a higher tier hotel will come in and renovate back to to a top tier flag.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:14 pm
empires228 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:42 pm Did anyone else go on the tour on Saturday? The answer about Skies ever rotating again is a definitive no.
Why? How is that hotel doing anyway? I still hope that a higher tier hotel will come in and renovate back to to a top tier flag.
Because a sister property with the same mechanical systems, had a noteworthy incident and as part of the settlement, all of the remaining systems in operation were ordered to be decommissioned. We were told that it was Hallmarks decision to bring the Sheraton name in to bring both hotels under the same operating umbrella and all cosmetic work (or lack thereof) that has happened over the past decades is done on the Hallmark dime. Marriott has has very little to do with the removal of restaurants, bars, the decommissioning of the activity deck, and things like the removal of the conversation pit in the Westin lobby. Those were all Hallmark decisions with the exception of Skies, which they presented as a blessing in disguise.

Oh, another big drop was that the Hall family never envisioned Halls anchoring the mall. They paid a lot of money to build a space that they thought they could unload and no department store operators showed any interest, thus Halls became the loss leader for the development.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Interesting. I didn't know that about the settlement issues. Not that Hallmark would have kept it working anyway. That was such a nice property when it was a Hyatt. The Skies, the duck club, all the common areas were top notch. I have stayed there several times since it changed to a Sheraton but have not stayed there in several years since there are just too many better options now.

The last few times it felt like a giant Holiday Inn that caters to groups like youth sports and stuff that needs lots of cheap rooms. That's fine and all, but it's a pretty big waste of what was a really nice hotel and not just a giant motel which is what it feels like now.

I was wondering how it is today since it was starting to feel pretty run down in some areas last time I stayed there. The elevators seemed really run down for example.

I still think the hotel has the bones and location to be upgraded back to a higher flag. There are plenty under the Marriot umbrella that would be better than Sheraton or at least bring it up to modern Sheraton standards. Since Marriot merged with starwood they have tried to make Sheratons a more consistent higher tier brand. I don't see that hotel even staying a Sheraton much longer if they don't do a major renovation and bring back more full service amenities.