GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by shinatoo »

im2kull wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:36 am
Highlander wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:21 am
im2kull wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:07 am

Because "Machine gun" is a terrible description of what the person was using. IE: Inaccurate description. The kid certainly wasn't carrying around an M249 SAW or anything in that likeness. He had a much smaller weapon that folks unfamiliar with weapons typically misclassify. Ever seen that clip of the news broadcaster calling a pistol a shotgun?
I thought the guy CNN interviewed that followed the suspect said he had military experience so not necessarily unfamiliar with weapons. Here is the sound on video.
https://twitter.com/KCTV5/status/1757934660246462785 The shooting was extremely short duration for injuring 22 and killing 1. There may have been more than one gun being fired at the same time and some people could have been hit by the same bullet.
You really have to stop jumping to conclusions and making inaccurate statements if you are unfamiliar with firearms. Yes, there was somewhere between 20 and 40 shots fired. Not hard to do with a semi-auto weapon in that duration. Commonplace. If it was a "machine gun" or something that was "fully automatic".. you wouldn't even be able to distinguish the shots because it would happen so quickly. It'd be one great roar in a second or less.

Second, a pistol, PCC, AR-15 or other non-machine gun is not a machine gun. An M249 SAW is a great example of a machine gun. The weapon one perp had was an AR pistol (he actually had two, with 40 round mags.. if you want me to be specific) or PCC AR. Either way, illegal. Regardless, I saw it, and I assure you.. it wasn't a "machine gun". The looks of a gun don't determine its classification. Its construction, abilities, and purposes do. The other guns look like a few pistols. In any case it was illegal to do what these kids and this other idiot did, and I'm sure the weapons were all illegal. Especially if any were modified, had the actions adjusted illegally to allow for a true rapid fire configuration, etc. But.. surprise.. criminals don't care about laws.

Also, just because someone was "has military experience" doesn't mean they know jack about guns. Most people are very uneducated on the subject.

Lastly, I don't mean to sound like a jerk. My tolerance for misinformation is just extremely low and writing on here doesn't convey the sense of openness and education that I am trying to approach this with. So please, don't think I'm "Yelling" while you read this.
We're drowning and you're describing the water. Who gives a shit. We don't need high-capacity automatic or semi-automatic weapons among our general population.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It's reasonably effective deflection, though.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Same crowd that shoots at eachother at every entertainment distrct, probably has a criminal record too. KC has been way too soft on crime finally gets exposed on a national level.
MidKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MidKC »

The US has one of the highest incarceration rates in the world. The idea that all of this is solved by prison is lazy at best.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

MidKC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:23 am The US has one of the highest incarceration rates in the world. The idea that all of this is solved by prison is lazy at best.
Yeah we need restorative justice. Jean putting criminals back on the street has done wonders for the crime rate in this town. you're correct we need to re-release criminals who will open fire with high powered weapons in a public space without a care. It would be lazy to keep those folks behind bars.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Metro wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:54 am Same crowd that shoots at eachother at every entertainment distrct, probably has a criminal record too. KC has been way too soft on crime finally gets exposed on a national level.
They are calling this the 49th mass shooting of 2024. If you take out the gang violence/shootings into a crowd at a nightclub on a weekend and the actual statistics for a real mass shooting is incredibily rare.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:57 am
Metro wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:54 am Same crowd that shoots at eachother at every entertainment distrct, probably has a criminal record too. KC has been way too soft on crime finally gets exposed on a national level.
They are calling this the 49th mass shooting of 2024. If you take out the gang violence/shootings into a crowd at a nightclub on a weekend and the actual statistics for a real mass shooting is incredibily rare.
Yeah they are and I'm not even against some gun control measures but to pretend theres some law that stops what happened yesterday is just fantasy. Several laws were broken yesterday this goes deeper than guns.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm not sure what to do with someone once they are at the point where they believe that killing people it's the best solution to whatever problems they're having, but making sure it is super easy for them to acquire a lot of guns probably isn't in anyone's best interest. Surely everyone can agree on that as a starting point?
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

It does not seem like everyone can agree on that as a starting point
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

25 of the 32 NFL teams send their love:

http://fox4kc.com/news/multiple-nfl-tea ... -shooting/

(The ones that didn't: DET, CHI, DAL, NYG ... CIN, BUF, SF)
KC is the way to be!
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I was at the SW corner of Pershing and Grand during the parade. Second row. We went back to our Santa Fe Place condo to see the Ceremory. I did notice, much like past Irish parade when they were downtown the larger police presense was where the most players and interaction would take place. I wonder if there was a lack of LEO on the west side of Union Station when the argument started.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

If there was a good LEO presense, I was thinking when the argument started they would be on alert.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

From what I could see on security footage at work, there was a pair of cops in the vicinity and looked like they had noticed the interaction, but the stream of people flowing west on Pershing leaving the rally stage area were making it difficult for them to get over there.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

So it sounds like there was more than 2 involved?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So it's kind of anti-climatic and even irrelevant now considering what happened at the parade, but did the police ever give an estimate of the size of the crowd? I inquire because I've seen several national broadcasts that put the size of the crowd around one million (which seems almost certainly too high). The weather was great so no surprise if the crowd was larger than in the past. But the aerial views of the crowd around the US does not show a sea of red as large as the past rallies (or at least the sea of blue back in 2015). Is national news exaggerating the crowd size? I've not heard those numbers locally.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Pretty sure that number came from Stacey Graves during one of her first statements
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Metro wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:50 am So it sounds like there was more than 2 involved?
From the video we could only see the tail end of the exchange, just before the shooting, and it wasn’t zoomed in, but yeah, looked to be more, and they scattered as soon as shots were fired.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

could any good guys with guns helped like the Gun Manufacturers Association (NRA) says?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

ericwyner wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:38 am could any good guys with guns helped like the Gun Manufacturers Association (NRA) says?
If I were there and were close by, yes. I carry and I wouldn’t have been afraid to use if necessary. In this case, lethal force against those committing the crime was justifiable, but you also had thousands of people running every which way and no clear shot to take out the bad guy without potentially injuring someone else.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There were hundreds of "good guys with guns" at the event: police officers.