GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:51 pm
shaffe wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:30 pm Why do we think the Chiefs are all of a sudden going to start sucking?
I assume some people are panicking because we've never seen the Chiefs be a dynasty before.

It's a small sample size, but the Chiefs have technically gotten worse year after year for the last 3 seasons:

Win Super Bowl
Lose Super Bowl
Lose AFC Championship

A loss in the divisional round next year will really send people over the edge. WE'RE GOING BACKWARDS!!!
I remember the 1st Chief's "dynasty" in the late 60's. They got to the superbowl in 67 and lost, returned in 69 and won and following year they played the longest game in NFL history in the AFC (or was it still AFL??) championship game before fading into obscurity for many years. The big difference in the last superbowl win is the average age of the key players on the team. Len Dawson was finishing up his career when we won the first superbowl and many of the greats of that team were well seasoned veterans. Mahomes and many other key players on the present day Chiefs are still relatively young. Kelce is getting a bit up there but Hill is still in his 20's and Hardman is starting to look like the player we hoped for when we drafted him. The O-line is young as well.

The defense is where the team needs to make a serious investment after a bit of neglect over the last few years. Adding Bolton was a step in the right direction. In this era, they have to deal with the salary cap which could influence the teams ability to stay on top but I'm not that concerned (every team has to deal with that). It was a huge achievement getting to 4 straight AFC championships and I don't see a big drop off in quality coming any time soon.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Wasn't that super bowl win in 1970?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

moderne wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:54 pm Wasn't that super bowl win in 1970?
Indeed it was. The season was the 69 season. KC came back the following year and played in the AFC Championship game on Christmas day also in 1970 (for the 1970 season).
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

It's cute to watch the younger fans losing their minds over a playoff choke job. Welcome to the Chiefs.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

At least Mahomes will leave a lasting legacy in the KC Metro with his 20 Whataburger Franchises
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The Chiefs are fine. They are competitive and constantly in the playoffs. I'm sure lots of teams can point to choke jobs. I do think way too many people have overhyped mahomes, but he's young and KC should have a nice era with him, even if he doesn't win seven superbowls.

You want to see a disasters of an NFL team. Check out the Washington "Commanders".
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:46 pm I do think way too many people have overhyped mahomes
He's crushed every passing record up to his age at this point. By alot. The hype is warranted.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:20 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:46 pm I do think way too many people have overhyped mahomes
He's crushed every passing record up to his age at this point. By alot. The hype is warranted.
But it's not sustainable. Give him a chance to mature. If they continue to put a good team around him, who knows what he can do. It will take time to see what he can really do. Regardless the Chiefs and KC are both lucky as hell to have him.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:26 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:20 pm
But it's not sustainable. Give him a chance to mature. If they continue to put a good team around him, who knows what he can do. It will take time to see what he can really do. Regardless the Chiefs and KC are both lucky as hell to have him.
This was on off year. They made a strong run at the end to try to say otherwise, but overall this just wasn't the Chiefs/Mahomes best year. They were dropping balls, turnovers, Mahomes was blind alot...etc. It happens to some of Brady's Patriots teams too.

Next year they'll probably have their best team they've had under Mahomes and also a fresh start. Should be the Super Bowl favorites. They can't blow it again, or then yes people will start to really jump off the bandwagon.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Mahomes may be a bit overhyped, that's just what the media does, but he is really freaking good and has been pretty damn consistent for a number of years. Point taken that there are other up-and-comers who also look really good in the AFC, but who knows if they are flukes or the real deal. Only time will tell. I do think Herbert is likely to be quite good for a long time, which sucks because we see him at least twice a year, but Rivers was quite good for a long time and the Chargers still pretty much sucked, so I'm not that worried.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

4 straight postseasons where you are either in the last game or next to last game & 4 straight home conference championships are really the unbelievable part. I'm still upset with how things went down but think about recovery, injuries, all that, & to still be able to get to the final game for 4 straight years in incredible. That stat will be looked at in history, I can guarantee that.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The group that wanted Washington to change the its name says KC is next:

"The NFL is not done," Crystal Echo Hawk added. "The [Kansas City] Chiefs have to step up and follow the lead and be on the right side of history. Washington has shown these rebrandings can be successful. This is a good thing. All eyes turn to the Chiefs."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3319 ... son-search
KC is the way to be!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AllThingsKC wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:25 pm these rebrandings can be successful.
I don't follow sports but as far as I have heard its been anything but
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

mean wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:49 pm Mahomes may be a bit overhyped, that's just what the media does
First of all, the media hasn't been a friend to Mahomes at all this year. They've been calling him trash all season, even when they started winning.

Secondly, the hype is deserved. At his age, he is shattering every record for a QB. Absolutely crushing them. And he went to 2/3 Super Bowls in first 3 years. Statistically nobody's ever had a start like him. Winning wise, only a handful have. If you put both of those together, then yeah the hype makes sense.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

AllThingsKC wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:25 pm The group that wanted Washington to change the its name says KC is next:

"The NFL is not done," Crystal Echo Hawk added. "The [Kansas City] Chiefs have to step up and follow the lead and be on the right side of history. Washington has shown these rebrandings can be successful. This is a good thing. All eyes turn to the Chiefs."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3319 ... son-search
I'd like to suggest the Kansas City Chokes, which rolls off the tongue just as easily and is more in keeping with the true spirit and tradition of the franchise.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Native American's aren't unified in this instance. Some that the Chiefs have worked with appreciate how they have banned headdresses at Arrowhead, got rid of war paint, etc. Yes, I understand that the Chop is also found offensive. The name Redskins was patently racist and should have been changed long ago. Chiefs may have Native American undertones, but imho is not patently offensive in itself. Master Chief, Fire Chief, etc. The drum and arrowhead themes may contain Native American imagry, but I think the team should continue to promote the Plains Native tribes culturally, donate money to them, and educuate people about the terrible way America treated them.
Last edited by alejandro46 on Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:36 pm
mean wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:49 pm Mahomes may be a bit overhyped, that's just what the media does
First of all, the media hasn't been a friend to Mahomes at all this year. They've been calling him trash all season, even when they started winning.
Whose shitty contrarian hot takes are you listening to? Because that is not the general consensus.

On the other hand, Jackson Mahomes and Brittney Matthews have gotten a fair bit of flack from all corners.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

mean wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:30 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:36 pm
Whose shitty contrarian hot takes are you listening to?
Twitter. ESPN. Fox Sports.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

First of all, I wouldn't suggest getting anything off Twitter. It's literally just an outrage generator, so I am completely unsurprised there are bad hot takes there. But I mean personalities. Obviously must be guys like Skip Bayless who exist just to say things that get controversy clicks.

But you're also the guy trying to convince me it doesn't snow in February so I'm starting to wonder if you're trolling at this point.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

mean wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:54 pm First of all, I wouldn't suggest getting anything off Twitter. It's literally just an outrage generator, so I am completely unsurprised there are bad hot takes there. But I mean personalities. Obviously must be guys like Skip Bayless who exist just to say things that get controversy clicks.

But you're also the guy trying to convince me it doesn't snow in February so I'm starting to wonder if you're trolling at this point.
Yeah you sound like a boomer...the modern day world of 'sports takes' is on social media. Every 'personality" is on social media.

And come on. You know I said Feb 20th..because that's when the Super Bowl will take place in the future with the 18 game schedule. I'll hit you up then.