GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by beautyfromashes »

Might be the most racist and classist place I've ever been.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

You only think that because of where you went to high school, probably.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

There's some good reason they've lost over half their population in the last 50 years. 50 years ago, KC was 1mil behind SL in population. Now, with, at best, modest growth, KC is 600k behind. They can disdain all they want. I grew up outside SL and harbor no ill will. Loved being part of the 10th largest MSA in the country. It was an important place in the economic heirarchy. But, something has gone tragically and monumentally wrong in that burg.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

missingkc wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:32 pm There's some good reason they've lost over half their population in the last 50 years. 50 years ago, KC was 1mil behind SL in population. Now, with, at best, modest growth, KC is 600k behind. They can disdain all they want. I grew up outside SL and harbor no ill will. Loved being part of the 10th largest MSA in the country. It was an important place in the economic heirarchy. But, something has gone tragically and monumentally wrong in that burg.
And yet, for some reason, it's the battle ground that every politician in this state thinks decides everything. Republicans and Democrats beg for the St. Louis suburban vote and pay out indulgences with cheap pork money while Kansas City is growing but still gets no weight. St. Louis is hell.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Man it is so fun when there’s an event downtown. Tons of people walking around and it isn’t even 9am yet
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:31 am Man it is so fun when there’s an event downtown. Tons of people walking around and it isn’t even 9am yet
Wanted to attend but my wife had a commitment and there was no way we could make it back in time. So watched on TV instead. Did the crowd seem a bit smaller than last time? The hill north of Liberty Memorial didn't seem nearly as full. Could have just been camera perspective.

I wonder what suburbanites think when they go to these events deep into the city?

"Maybe downtown baseball wouldn't be all that bad after all"? The experience cannot be totally lost on them?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Highlander wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:05 pm Did the crowd seem a bit smaller than last time?
Seemed about the same as last time. Of course, both were much smaller than the Royals parade the year they one. Of course, the weather was absolutely perfect that day.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Is this most happening KC has ever been?

January:
-Hosts AFC championship game

February:
-Giant Super Bowl parade with tons of national media coverage
-New Airport opens

March:
-Big 12 tournament
-March Madness regionals

April:
-NFL Draft
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Maybe not as sexy as the others but +NAIA Basketball Finals also in March
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Was it just me or did it seem like there were a lot of Lions fans at the game, I saw like 10 fans on the Plaza just driving thru, I guess it kind of makes sense, 1st game of year, you have a team we only play at our home basically every 8 years, the lions are competitive and Michigan area is drivable.

The Bears game might be tons of Bear fans in a couple weeks

If KC ever did a realignment, kind of wish Chiefs would get paired up with NFC North teams, all these teams are much closer geographically then the AFC West teams beside Denver
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

there were a lot of Lions fans, and there will be a lot of Bears fans I'm sure. I'm guessing a lot of people decided to cash in on the ticket prices because they were in demand. Can't fault them for it, as they've paid for playoffs the past few years and need to earn a little back. Plus no better to build that playoffs savings than selling for out of conferences games to very "meh" teams.

I also think it shows just how parasitic the secondary ticket has become. A lot people & businesses buying tickets to exclusively sell them on the open market. They will sell to whomever pays for them.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

The Travis Kelce/Taylor Swift thing is providing KC with a little extra national publicity. Apparently, a lot of "Swifties" tuned into the Chiefs games yesterday because of the possibility of her appearance and her whereabouts yesterday is on just about every media outlet.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Was at a bar in Dallas yesterday and was shocked to see the chiefs game on the big tv while the cowboys were also playing. Apparently three different tables of women had fought hard for the Chiefs to take priority
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

In South Florida, Fox cut-away at Halftime from the Chiefs game to the Cowboys eventual loss. They did cutback twice to show KC touchdowns and (probably this) Taylor Swift geeking out in a skybox.

My host's daughter was gobsmacked that Taylor Swift was in KC. She wore my lucky Chiefs hat from Halls for the rest of the evening. LOL
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

This team suddenly looks a serious threat again with the emergence of Rashee Rice.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Rusty Irish wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:41 am This team suddenly looks a serious threat again with the emergence of Rashee Rice.
Agreed. Lets just be honest, he’s more valuable than Kelce at this point.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Man downtown looked great from the Western Auto building in one of Peacock/NBC's cutaway shots.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They also had a beautiful drone shot rising from ground level on the north side of the KCPA slowly rising over the curved shells to reveal the south side skyline.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

moderne wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:03 pm They also had a beautiful drone shot rising from ground level on the north side of the KCPA slowly rising over the curved shells to reveal the south side skyline.
Yes, KC's downtown looked great in the broadcast; a nice look for the city. I was a little alarmed, however, when one of the broadcast team said "this cold is going to be tough on the Dolphins, but the Chiefs play in these conditions all the time". No they don't!! They made it sound like sub zero was par for the course for KC in the winter time. It probably isn't a selling point for Kansas City that the Chief's have had some high profile nationally televised games played in frigid conditions the last couple of years (e.g., the Christmas Eve game against the Seahawks last year).
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Highlander wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:21 pm
moderne wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:03 pm They also had a beautiful drone shot rising from ground level on the north side of the KCPA slowly rising over the curved shells to reveal the south side skyline.
Yes, KC's downtown looked great in the broadcast; a nice look for the city. I was a little alarmed, however, when one of the broadcast team said "this cold is going to be tough on the Dolphins, but the Chiefs play in these conditions all the time". No they don't!! They made it sound like sub zero was par for the course for KC in the winter time. It probably isn't a selling point for Kansas City that the Chief's have had some high profile nationally televised games played in frigid conditions the last couple of years (e.g., the Christmas Eve game against the Seahawks last year).
Agreed. It’s so dumb but hopefully most people aren’t that gullible.