GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:21 pm
moderne wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:03 pm They also had a beautiful drone shot rising from ground level on the north side of the KCPA slowly rising over the curved shells to reveal the south side skyline.
Yes, KC's downtown looked great in the broadcast; a nice look for the city. I was a little alarmed, however, when one of the broadcast team said "this cold is going to be tough on the Dolphins, but the Chiefs play in these conditions all the time". No they don't!! They made it sound like sub zero was par for the course for KC in the winter time. It probably isn't a selling point for Kansas City that the Chief's have had some high profile nationally televised games played in frigid conditions the last couple of years (e.g., the Christmas Eve game against the Seahawks last year).
I think what they're saying is the Chiefs have the ability to practice in the cold and in comparison to Miami, are far more used to cold in general. Even if it were in the 30's, it's still a major disadvantage for Miami.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Ravens got us beat here. https://twitter.com/mtamaryland/status/ ... 3632678095

Staying in DC for it (we took the L last time when I took the MARC up), should be a good one on Sunday!
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Heading to Las Vegas!
PARTY TIME! Where did everyone watch the game?
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

At P&L!
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:23 pm At P&L!
Big watch party at Live? Don't really know what is in P&L anymore.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

bspecht wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:16 pm Ravens got us beat here. https://twitter.com/mtamaryland/status/ ... 3632678095

Staying in DC for it (we took the L last time when I took the MARC up), should be a good one on Sunday!
What is the L?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Watched it from my home but, wow, this it's been a great run for KC. It's crazy how the combination of the Chief's going on this run, the NFL draft and even the Kelce/Swift thing has brought a lot of positive attention to KC in the last couple of years.

I wish the NFL was willing to do a cold weather super bowl because KC would be a great host (and by February, most of the really cold weather has departed KC anyway).
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:22 am Watched it from my home but, wow, this it's been a great run for KC. It's crazy how the combination of the Chief's going on this run, the NFL draft and even the Kelce/Swift thing has brought a lot of positive attention to KC in the last couple of years.

I wish the NFL was willing to do a cold weather super bowl because KC would be a great host (and by February, most of the really cold weather has departed KC anyway).
Yeah, it's been fun being in the Baltimore area. Chiefs get a lot of hate now because people are tired of them, but people generally respect them as a good team.

KC would likely get a single super bowl if it had a domed stadium. No way they go to KC in a open air stadium. I don't think they cared too much for the one superbowl held in New Jersey a while back.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:58 am
Highlander wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:22 am Watched it from my home but, wow, this it's been a great run for KC. It's crazy how the combination of the Chief's going on this run, the NFL draft and even the Kelce/Swift thing has brought a lot of positive attention to KC in the last couple of years.

Chiefs get a lot of hate now because people are tired of them, but people generally respect them as a good team.
I'm sure there a lot of haters out there - good teams commonly generate that but as late as early January of this year, a poll by SI showed the Chiefs had the highest favorability rating of all NFL teams.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:24 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:58 am

Chiefs get a lot of hate now because people are tired of them, but people generally respect them as a good team.
I'm sure there a lot of haters out there - good teams commonly generate that but as late as early January of this year, a poll by SI showed the Chiefs had the highest favorability rating of all NFL teams.
Yeah, I think so. This area is fun to live in if you like the NFL. Nobody cares about college sports and even MLB, NHL and NBA are very niche, but everybody has a team in the NFL it seems and there are a lot of fans of different teams here, but they are all mostly fans of all the teams in the DC to Boston corridor plus Pittsburgh. I say that and the houses on both sides of me are Miami and Tampa fans. It's just a very transient area.

So being a Chiefs fan out here has been a blast. You actually stand out.

Six years of Mahomes and I think we are finally starting to make at least some ground on that idea that KC is in Missouri though.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

GRID wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:33 pm Six years of Mahomes and I think we are finally starting to make at least some ground on that idea that KC is in Missouri though.
All that work we've done is going to be undone by the University of Kansas football team playing in Kansas City, Missouri. It's going to break everyone's mind. :lol:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:01 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:33 pm Six years of Mahomes and I think we are finally starting to make at least some ground on that idea that KC is in Missouri though.
All that work we've done is going to be undone by the University of Kansas football team playing in Kansas City, Missouri. It's going to break everyone's mind. :lol:
Well it doesn't help that the University of Kansas is often in the background of press conferences at Arrowhead. Maybe people will come to the conclusion that the University of Kansas is also in Missouri?

That is till the world cup happens and I think they are using both arrowhead and children's mercy? People will eventually learn the safe way thing to say is KC or Kansas City. Just never say only the state and you are good.

Does anybody in KC claim MO or KS anymore? I will say that both states have pretty bad reputations out here. At least "some" people understand that the cities in red states are not red too.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

GRID wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:09 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:01 pm
Well it doesn't help that the University of Kansas is often in the background of press conferences at Arrowhead. Maybe people will come to the conclusion that the University of Kansas is also in Missouri?

That is till the world cup happens and I think they are using both arrowhead and children's mercy? People will eventually learn the safe way thing to say is KC or Kansas City. Just never say only the state and you are good.

Does anybody in KC claim MO or KS anymore? I will say that both states have pretty bad reputations out here. At least "some" people understand that the cities in red states are not red too.
I get that a lot when I'm on the west coast, assuming that since I live in a red state it must be conservative/right wing.

I have to explain that living in KS, I have a Dem governor, a Dem congressperson, a Dem state senator, a Dem state rep and a progressive non-partisan city councilperson.

Blows their minds!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yeah. It's the same way in coastal states with rural vs urban, it's just that they often have a higher percent of urban population. I mean rural MD is no different than rural MO. They are just way outnumbered. Well, I will say the suburbs around DC and Baltimore are more blue than those around KC and StL and that's probably the big difference.

VA is a bit different. Right now it's the DC suburbs vs the entire rest of the state basically and the VA suburbs have been winning recently.

MO seems to be getting a worse image than KS as of late. People don't realize that KS is becoming a rather urbanized state. So much of the population of the state lives in the KC area. Wichita needs to turn blue and the state would probably flip.

Way off topic again, sorry.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

On Saturday the Lions did an impressive drone light show over DT Detroit(even though it was an away game). Wish the Chiefs could do something like that.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCKev wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:17 pm Heading to Las Vegas!
PARTY TIME! Where did everyone watch the game?
I watched the game at a friend's house while laughing at the Raven's players crying as the clock ticked down in the last few minutes. DREAMS SHATTERED.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

GRID wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:09 pmThat is till the world cup happens and I think they are using both arrowhead and children's mercy? People will eventually learn the safe way thing to say is KC or Kansas City. Just never say only the state and you are good.

When I matriculated to a small, Massachusetts college in the 1980s, there was another graduate from SME who also made the same choice. Freshman year, we drifted apart, but third parties pointed out to me that, when asked, she would state she was from "Prairie Village, Kansas" while I always said Kansas City, Missouri. My Dad went to WHS, had his office in Westport for 50+ years. We grew up a few blocks west of 63d & State Line, yet I have always identified as a KC person. She lived near 91st and Nall, so maybe that (then) substantial, suburban distance was somehow a factor. I laughed about it, saying nobody knows the KC suburbs here, but she was adamant that she was from "Prairie Village."

People thought we were from different states. LOL.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Parade will be Feb 14, in the event certain things occur. 🤞 https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... FullText=1
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:58 am Chiefs get a lot of hate now because people are tired of them, but people generally respect them as a good team.
What's been absolutely bizarre about this new found hatred if not just plain nutcase crazy is the narrative that the Chief's appearance in the Superbowl has been rigged so that Taylor Swift can use it as a platform to announce her endorsement of Biden. The Raven's game was the 6th straight Chief's AFC Championship appearance. It's not like the Chiefs haven't been really good for a while but somehow this belief still has gained footing with the far right crowd. Even Fox News is fixed on it:

"One X user shared a clip from Fox News that described Swift's influence as "scary" and noted a petition for people to support the San Francisco 49ers in their upcoming showdown with the Chiefs at the Super Bowl in February."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/30/us/p ... 0entourage.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 234955940/

https://www.newsweek.com/taylor-swift-s ... wn-1865512
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Wait until they find out that was all part of Taylor's long game as she and Super Bowl MVP Brock Purdy co-endorse Nancy Pelosi for president at San Francisco's Super Bowl victory parade