GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by GRID »

I think the movement to change the name of the Chiefs has more of a national following than people in KC may think. Especially now that Cleveland and Washington have changed.

I think it's kind of stupid myself, but I would not be surprised at all if it becomes a big deal soon.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:57 pm I think the movement to change the name of the Chiefs has more of a national following than people in KC may think. Especially now that Cleveland and Washington have changed.

I think it's kind of stupid myself, but I would not be surprised at all if it becomes a big deal soon.
Chiefs can try to dance around it by saying “it’s because of the mayor’s nickname” etc
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

If the Hunts are really *that* wedded to the nickname, there's always the Peoria Chiefs route.

Otherwise...I'm going to be very disappointed if we don't wind up with the Kansas City Chefs.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Washington I can understand why they changed their name (and I assume their fans as well).

Cleveland might've been a bit upset about losing Indians name but...it's just baseball. Not the biggest sport.

But the Chiefs? Oh man. This town will fucking riot if you try to take that away. Our crowning jewel and pride & joy for generations. There would be a major major blowback if they tried to change it. Mostly because 99% of KC doesn't see it as offensive, and because it's just a synonymous brand for our region. You can't give that up. It will be a riot if they try.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Hate to say it, but it's going to continue to be a national story until the name is changed
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Can't dance around it by saying it was Mayor Bartle's nickname. That nickname was due to his involvement with Boy Scouts and all their ersatz Amerindian lore.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I don't think "Chiefs" is on the same level as "Indians" or "Redskins" though in most people's eyes. I can see them coming after the chop first. But it's not like they've been able to stop the chop in Atlanta either (Braves).
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

To be fair, the chop in Atlanta got a lot of bad press during the World Series too
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:13 pm
mean wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:54 pm First of all, I wouldn't suggest getting anything off Twitter. It's literally just an outrage generator, so I am completely unsurprised there are bad hot takes there. But I mean personalities. Obviously must be guys like Skip Bayless who exist just to say things that get controversy clicks.

But you're also the guy trying to convince me it doesn't snow in February so I'm starting to wonder if you're trolling at this point.
Yeah you sound like a boomer...the modern day world of 'sports takes' is on social media. Every 'personality" is on social media.

And come on. You know I said Feb 20th..because that's when the Super Bowl will take place in the future with the 18 game schedule. I'll hit you up then.
I am a boomer by internet standards, and social media is cancer.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Y'all are actually offended by calling someone a Chief.. and the team the Chiefs? You must be sad, sad individuals. Learn how to interpret literature. Correctly.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I'm more confused be the term "Chief's Kingdom." A chief would have a chiefdom. Only a king could have a kingdom.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I agree, Chiefs Kingdom is not correct and dumb. It should technically be Chiefs Nation if you plan on sticking to the Native American lore/branding.

But to me this is the issue. The Native Americans find the usage of Chiefs and how we have tied it to a Native American branding/lore to be of issue. I mean we had a horse called War Paint for years, we bang a fucking drum before big games, and we have the "chop" and the stereo typical chant along with it. We are certainly perpetuating stereotypes but not necessarily oppressing them and using them in a negative light.

Ideas for solutions. What if The Hunt family & the NFL pledged a certain portion of NET revenue from merchandise sales to go to a general fund to be managed by a ruling body of Native American Tribes to be distributed to various Indian nations throughout the USA. Essentially they are paid a licensing fee of sorts for the use Native American imagery & archetypes in the promotion of the team. We would go so far as to get permission from this ruling body for usage and even get blessings from elder members of the various Nations and their spiritual leaders. Make a gesture to do it right and provide a financial stake to improve the prosperity of Native Americans.

Try this first and see what they say. The term "Chief of Chiefs" in and of itself is not 100% indicative of Native Americans. A Chief is a tribal leader but through the eons of human history tribes have been comprised of all kind of racial, and ethnic groups. From Mesoamericans, Asians, Africans, and Eastern & Western European (Celts, Goths, Saxons, Germanic, etc.). If need be we could keep the name Chiefs but then tie the branding & imagery into that of a Western or Eastern European tribal archetype. Akin to a more primitive Viking if you will. Change the chant from the chop to perhaps a "war cry" of a shaking fist or pumping fist like that of a swinging sword or axe and couple it with a more soccer type chant from Europe. Honestly you could even keep the arrowhead as that again is not a Native or Mesoamerican exclusive item. The rough "flint style" arrowhead depicted is part of human evolution of complex tool building and used by mankind all over the world. But if people "panties are still in a bunch" just change the imagery to a more modern arrowhead from history, again maybe one used by a European Tribe.

I think there are solutions to keep it all and make very convincing arguments as to intent and or the new intent. It would require perhaps new branding but at the heart of it all we would still be the Kansas City Chiefs, but now Chiefs has no tie in to Native American culture
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I think we’re reading too much into something that doesn’t even have legs
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

The easiest way to rebrand would be to move but that seems a bit nuclear and would please absolutely no one in KC.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

You don’t need to move to rebrand. You rebrand by changing the associated imagery that is in question. Keep the name & work from there. That’s the beauty of our current position. Easily change associated imagery away from anything resembling a Native American archetype and start new branding around the word “Chief(s)”
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:40 pm I think we’re reading too much into something that doesn’t even have legs
Agreed but I wanted to show how you could logically approach solutions if need be. I wanted to highlight what could be done & honestly the thinnest of positions that support the discord
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

moderne wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:39 pm I'm more confused be the term "Chief's Kingdom." A chief would have a chiefdom. Only a king could have a kingdom.
And here I thought that I was the only one who thought that Kingdom stuff doesn't make sense.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Just change the name to the Kansas City Kings. Then the kingdom thing makes sense, and the wealthy team owners sucking up all the resources from the surrounding peasants to fund their extravagant coliseum is historically accurate.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

mean wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:49 am Just change the name to the Kansas City Kings. Then the kingdom thing makes sense, and the wealthy team owners sucking up all the resources from the surrounding peasants to fund their extravagant coliseum is historically accurate.
+1

If you think the "Chiefs" issue is going to go away you haven't been paying attention. If the DC Commanders and Cleveland Guardians do well in ticket and merch sales it will probably happen sooner than later.

Kings is a better name than both of those, BTW.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:09 pm
mean wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:49 am Just change the name to the Kansas City Kings. Then the kingdom thing makes sense, and the wealthy team owners sucking up all the resources from the surrounding peasants to fund their extravagant coliseum is historically accurate.
+1

If you think the "Chiefs" issue is going to go away you haven't been paying attention. If the DC Commanders and Cleveland Guardians do well in ticket and merch sales it will probably happen sooner than later.

Kings is a better name than both of those, BTW.
Agreed, but I doubt the NBA lets the NFL use the Kings name.