Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:51 am 1 decade is a long time. I believe in 10 years they will announce plans to move downtown.
I remember the talk of River-Crown-Plaza in the 90s. I thought, “This will be amazing! Streetcar will be running to the Plaza in a decade and buildings fill DT.” Development moves painfully slow. The streetcar has been pushed incredibly hard but it’s still a few years away. We’ve been lucky to see the changes we have in a “relatively short” period of time.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:56 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:05 pm Downtown MLS not going to happen for a long while
In the 1990s all the baseball ballparks were copying suburban style and working to move to that part of metros to capture that demographic. Then, Camden Yards was built in 1993 and in the decade after most all of the new ballparks were urban inspired and looking to connect people to DTs. A lot can change in a short amount of time. Your "long time" could be very relative. I personally think you will see a decision by SKC to move downtown in the next decade. It's inevitable.
New Cominsky was the only ballpark that opened in the '90s before Camden. I don't think I would call it suburban, but debatable. Everything between Kauffman in 73 and Cominsky was a multi-use dome and all were urban if not directly in downtown. All are gone except Rodgers center.

Topicana is an outlier for many reasons.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:51 am 1 decade is a long time. I believe in 10 years they will announce plans to move downtown.
If 10 years is the over/under for an announcement, I would definitely take the under.

The current stadium opened in 2011. I believe the lease was 20 years (not sure how iron-clad it is, so they could possible break early). But my expectation is that in 2031 they will either being playing in a new stadium or a expanded/renovated Children's Mercy Park. That means in about 5 years they will announce they are exploring a Downtown stadium (as well as expansion options), and a decision will likely be made within 7 years.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:41 am
normalthings wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:05 pm Downtown MLS not going to happen for a long while
In the 1990s all the baseball ballparks before the 1990s were copying suburban style and working to move to that part of metros to capture that demographic. Then, Camden Yards was built in 1993 and in the decade after most all of the new ballparks were urban inspired and looking to connect people to DTs. A lot can change in a short amount of time. Your "long time" could be very relative. I personally think you will see a decision by SKC to move downtown in the next decade. It's inevitable.
New Cominsky was the only ballpark that opened in the '90s before Camden. I don't think I would call it suburban, but debatable. Everything between Kauffman in 73 and Cominsky was a multi-use dome and all were urban if not directly in downtown. All are gone except Rodgers center.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:46 am
If 10 years is the over/under for an announcement, I would definitely take the under.

The current stadium opened in 2011. I believe the lease was 20 years (not sure how iron-clad it is, so they could possible break early). But my expectation is that in 2031 they will either being playing in a new stadium or a expanded/renovated Children's Mercy Park. That means in about 5 years they will announce they are exploring a Downtown stadium (as well as expansion options), and a decision will likely be made within 7 years.
They are making some 10-15 year lifespan investments into their current stadium.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I would take the under for an announcement as well. The under being 5 years.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:52 am
shinatoo wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:41 am
In the 1990s all the baseball ballparks before the 1990s were copying suburban style and working to move to that part of metros to capture that demographic. Then, Camden Yards was built in 1993 and in the decade after most all of the new ballparks were urban inspired and looking to connect people to DTs. A lot can change in a short amount of time. Your "long time" could be very relative. I personally think you will see a decision by SKC to move downtown in the next decade. It's inevitable.
New Cominsky was the only ballpark that opened in the '90s before Camden. I don't think I would call it suburban, but debatable. Everything between Kauffman in 73 1973 and 1993 Cominsky was a multi-use dome and all were urban if not directly in downtown. All are gone except Rodgers center.

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Sure it’d be nice to get SKC downtown, but now that the current are downtown, really the only one I think matters is getting the Royals.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:14 pm Sure it’d be nice to get SKC downtown, but now that the current are downtown, really the only one I think matters is getting the Royals.
You'd be surprised how little crossover there is in STHs. Both exist separate of each other & don't really compete either.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Rankings on the value of sports team came out recently that shows SportingKC is more valuable than 5 NHL teams.

SKC ranked #129/151 at $505m. Supposedly they have $45million in annual revenues.

For comparison,

Chiefs ranked #29 at $3.54B
Royals ranked #97 at $1.21B
(Only two baseball teams ranked lower than the Royals)

The highest ranked MLS team was LAFC #106 at $860m which ranks higher than many, many NHL teams, including the StL Blues.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Light crowd tonight.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Got a hot take I thought of

I feel like the KC Current are trending towards being just as popular as SKC. They do alot better social media engagement, they’re selling the crap out of merchandise, and yeah the new stadium has everyone’s attention. I think when it opens with a streetcar line they could be right there with SKC. It’s just gonna make the Sporting stadium location look like a joke.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:52 pm Got a hot take I thought of

I feel like the KC Current are trending towards being just as popular as SKC. They do alot better social media engagement, they’re selling the crap out of merchandise, and yeah the new stadium has everyone’s attention. I think when it opens with a streetcar line they could be right there with SKC. It’s just gonna make the Sporting stadium location look like a joke.
whoever has the best stadium and experience will win. The best soccer on TV isn’t MLS so I think stadium and game day experience will drive this the most. SKC will have the better stadium and bigger crowds (more total energy) but if KCC can delivery a better pre/post then I can see this coming true.

Tend to think SKC combines the experience of Chiefs with a Better schedule (Spring, Summer, Fall). And a lot more National, international, events
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

When is sportings lease up?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:15 pm When is sportings lease up?
Early to Mid 2030’s I think although they oid the stadium off already
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:19 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:15 pm When is sportings lease up?
Early to Mid 2030’s I think although they oid the stadium off already
Correct according to KCBJ
An additional $144.5 million in sales tax revenue (STAR) bond financing was pledged to Children's Mercy Park as part of the overall development effort and was fully paid off years ago.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... lties.html
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:52 pm Got a hot take I thought of

Nope, and they really are not competing either. Plus NWSL is about to experience a big loss of star players going to Europe to get paid more so I'm a bit worried about the league but the team should do fine.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Have walked around STL’s stadium and visited Nashvilles. There is something missing at these new facilities that Children’s Mercy captures. CMH I think does show its age in some areas but it’s still a really great stadium.

The owners care about an amazing experience a lot. If STL’s stadium cost $450million, I’m not sure how we are gonna be able to bring SKC to downtown and preserve the experience.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Geez, I didn't know that stadium cost 450 million.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

STL City’s stadium is just about complete. For the most part, does not look as nice as CMH but will need to go to games. Their location is downtown though so there is a lot more to do around the stadium and you can take the light rail.