Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by GRID »

CityNerd calls Sporting Park and "absolute crater"...

https://youtu.be/v4Nj5WBJj6Y?t=687
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:59 pm CityNerd calls Sporting Park and "absolute crater"...

https://youtu.be/v4Nj5WBJj6Y?t=687
I mean… where’s the lie?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

SKC cut the events department per LinkedIn posts of former employees
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I wish I could go on a complete tangent on how that photographer and poster had an argument over credit, but in the end they were both right and did the right thing lol. (It was clear fair use, but give credit when you can people)

But yes, yikes.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:11 pm SKC cut the events department per LinkedIn posts of former employees
They just let go of the events manager. It was time for her to go. They’ll use third party companies to execute non-game day events.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Fountains wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:21 pm It appears some of the luster around SKC is fading. I predicted this would happen when they started losing games.
Bold.

&
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

They are still averaging 18,000 a match. The funny thing is Inter Miami, they started in 2020 and the average attendance this year was 12,000 which ranks dead last, why do they keep putting sports teams in Miami?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I think the "luster" around SKC is doing pretty well, all things considered. They had the terrible year on the field in 2019 which is when attendance started to fade. Then two years heavily impacted by Covid. Last year, they had another bad year, but still averaged 18,365, which is just a little under the official capacity (although SRO can bump that a good amount). With the particularly bad start to the year, they were practically eliminated from contention by the midway point, but still pulled in pretty good attendance numbers.

They haven't really made any new signings yet, which may not excite the fanbase, but I still think the team will be better (if they can stay healthy) and attendance will be back up a bit. Another natural rival in STL coming into the league might help add a little spice.

The new TV deal for MLS with Apple definitely seems like a gamble. It could pay off, but it might alienate casual fans. We will see how that plays out and impacts SKC. I think the Bally Sports debacle definitely didn't help.

As for Miami, their stadium situation might be holding them back a bit. They are rumored to be signing Messi, which would probably result in selling out for the entire season. We will see if they can pull it off Messi, but they have also been linked to some other big names. Miami definitely has issues a sports town, but I think if they have some stars on their team, they will do fine.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:48 am I think the "luster" around SKC is doing pretty well, all things considered. They had the terrible year on the field in 2019 which is when attendance started to fade. Then two years heavily impacted by Covid. Last year, they had another bad year, but still averaged 18,365, which is just a little under the official capacity (although SRO can bump that a good amount). With the particularly bad start to the year, they were practically eliminated from contention by the midway point, but still pulled in pretty good attendance numbers.

They haven't really made any new signings yet, which may not excite the fanbase, but I still think the team will be better (if they can stay healthy) and attendance will be back up a bit. Another natural rival in STL coming into the league might help add a little spice.

The new TV deal for MLS with Apple definitely seems like a gamble. It could pay off, but it might alienate casual fans. We will see how that plays out and impacts SKC. I think the Bally Sports debacle definitely didn't help.

As for Miami, their stadium situation might be holding them back a bit. They are rumored to be signing Messi, which would probably result in selling out for the entire season. We will see if they can pull it off Messi, but they have also been linked to some other big names. Miami definitely has issues a sports town, but I think if they have some stars on their team, they will do fine.

As somebody that is not in any part of the apple ecosystem what so ever, what does this mean? If I want to watch MLS games, do I have to purchase a streaming product from apple now? Isn't MLB doing the same thing soon? Or maybe its some of the NFL games. It's hard to keep up with all the streaming now.

Other than the Tampa Bay Lightning, none of the Florida teams seam to draw that well. I really think the Rays would draw very well with a Downtown Tampa stadium, so it's crazy how long it's taking to get that done.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

GRID wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:19 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:48 am I think the "luster" around SKC is doing pretty well, all things considered. They had the terrible year on the field in 2019 which is when attendance started to fade. Then two years heavily impacted by Covid. Last year, they had another bad year, but still averaged 18,365, which is just a little under the official capacity (although SRO can bump that a good amount). With the particularly bad start to the year, they were practically eliminated from contention by the midway point, but still pulled in pretty good attendance numbers.

As somebody that is not in any part of the apple ecosystem what so ever, what does this mean? If I want to watch MLS games, do I have to purchase a streaming product from apple now? Isn't MLB doing the same thing soon? Or maybe its some of the NFL games. It's hard to keep up with all the streaming now.

Other than the Tampa Bay Lightning, none of the Florida teams seam to draw that well. I really think the Rays would draw very well with a Downtown Tampa stadium, so it's crazy how long it's taking to get that done.
Basically, yes. You would need to subscribe through AppleTV. Which these days you can do via an app as opposed to needing to purchase and AppleTV box first.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

You don't need to subscribe to the AppleTV+ to get MLS (but you do get a discount if you do). You can just get the MLS service which gives you access to all matches across the league (no local blackouts). You will need the app, which should be available on all smart tvs/devices. All broadcasts will be produced centrally by the league/Apple (no more local broadcasts). National pre-game and "Red Zone" like coverage as well.

I believe there will be a number of free games available each week in the app, even if you don't subscribe. There will still be national broadcasts on Fox/FS1.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:44 pm You don't need to subscribe to the AppleTV+ to get MLS (but you do get a discount if you do). You can just get the MLS service which gives you access to all matches across the league (no local blackouts). You will need the app, which should be available on all smart tvs/devices. All broadcasts will be produced centrally by the league/Apple (no more local broadcasts). National pre-game and "Red Zone" like coverage as well.

I believe there will be a number of free games available each week in the app, even if you don't subscribe. There will still be national broadcasts on Fox/FS1.
I'm not much a soccer fan but that seems super streamlined and easy. I wish it was that easy to be a baseball fan lol.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Apple has a really confusing naming system.

There's the apple tv app. This is free and doesn't require an apple product.

There's apple tv+. This is apples paid subscription product.

There's MLS season pass. This subscription requires the free apple tv app, but not apple tv+ (there's a discount if you subscribe to both).

Apple has said they're going to make some games available for free (just need the free app) including every teams first game, even more available to people that subscribe to apple tv+ but not season pass, and of course all in season pass. Season ticket holders also get season pass included with their tickets.

MLS also has a linear tv deal with fox sports but it's fairly limited and the games will still be on apple. The regional sports networks crap is gone.

It isn't a typical sports rights deal. MLS will produce all the of the content. Apple is paying MLS a guarantee and when/if Apple makes a certain amount they share some percentage above that with MLS. Apple also gets a patch on the sleeve and other branding stuff.

Hope that makes sense.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Well, this would have been interesting for the city.

Cristiano Ronaldo was “Very Close” to Move to Sporting Kansas City
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... fd307a67d2
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Just…interesting? Kansas City having Patrick Mahomes & Christian’s Ronaldo would’ve made this city a media frenzy in the sports world 24/7.

Obviously would’ve helped the city brand a ton but also could’ve ended this dumb concept of “no NBA players would ever come here!”

I still wouldn’t rule out Ronaldo coming in the future. He’s been flipping teams every couple years. He could just pull a Beckham and end up retiring with SKC!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The only cringe part of it would be the “Wow! Ronaldo playing in KC but wait…it’s…in Kansas and…surrounded by a shopping mall and some grass for miles. This is KC?”

Please move it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:36 pm The only cringe part of it would be the “Wow! Ronaldo playing in KC but wait…it’s…in Kansas and…surrounded by a shopping mall and some grass for miles. This is KC?”

Please move it.
Ronaldo telling the world that KC sucks would not be beyond him but it would suck for us
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:41 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:36 pm The only cringe part of it would be the “Wow! Ronaldo playing in KC but wait…it’s…in Kansas and…surrounded by a shopping mall and some grass for miles. This is KC?”

Please move it.
Ronaldo telling the world that KC sucks would not be beyond him but it would suck for us
KC would've had a better chance to get Ronaldo if the stadium was downtown and not in the isolated field
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC Roo wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:03 pm
normalthings wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:41 pm

Please move it.
KC would've had a better chance to get Ronaldo if the stadium was downtown and not in the isolated field
I don’t know anything. But I don’t think it would’ve mattered. Even if it was downtown, it still would’ve been a small Midwest USA city for Ronaldo. It’s not like he was coming here expecting Miami or Amsterdam. It likely came down to $$$ and the huge bag the Saudi’s offered