Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by kboish »

Patrick Mahomes became a minority owner of SKC today.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

kboish wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:23 pm Patrick Mahomes became a minority owner of SKC today.
Seems like a lot of his contract $ is going to be staying in KC if he keeps this up!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:32 am
kboish wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:23 pm Patrick Mahomes became a minority owner of SKC today.
Seems like a lot of his contract $ is going to be staying in KC if he keeps this up!
I have no inside information at all, but I'd love to read what he bought in at. It's super positive for everyone to have him involved in all KC sports, but I don't expect he's going to be facing a massive cash call from the equity holders soon.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:08 pm
I have no inside information at all, but I'd love to read what he bought in at. It's super positive for everyone to have him involved in all KC sports, but I don't expect he's going to be facing a massive cash call from the equity holders soon.
I would imagine his buy-in was a minimal amount, maybe just a little more than pocket change to him. The other owners just like having his name associated with the team.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Interesting that Cerner is selling their office there too. I don't think this stadium will be much. Just doesn't fit
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:44 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:08 pm
I would imagine his buy-in was a minimal amount, maybe just a little more than pocket change to him. The other owners just like having his name associated with the team.
Being at events too, doing advertisements. Some international partnerships.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I expect soccer to move now.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:43 pm I expect soccer to move now.
To where though?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Washington Park?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:03 pm Washington Park?
I don’t see how a soccer stadium downtown would be that beneficial. They have what? 15 home games a year? Wouldn’t that area be a dead zone 11 1/2 months outta the year?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:03 pm Washington Park?
I don’t see how a soccer stadium downtown would be that beneficial. They have what? 15 home games a year? Wouldn’t that area be a dead zone 11 1/2 months outta the year?
Iirc soccer footprint is 1/2 of baseball.

CMH hosts a variety of non-MLS soccer games each year. We are a top choice for hosting international matches and tournaments. Soccer stadium is also the right size and shape for outdoor concerts, movies, graduation ceremonies, etc. it gets a lot more use than just home games.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

I'd love a soccer stadium downtown or West Bottoms, etc... but I just don't see how they abandon a stadium that's just over 10 years old and widely considered one of the best soccer stadiums in the country.

It sucks they built it out there in KCK, but what would be the incentive to move it? They pretty much sell out every game, and it is built so they can expand the seating. At this point, a new stadium is probably going to cost $200M-300M+ right? Even with more seating/ticket sales and brand awareness that might come from being downtown, that's gotta be difficult to justify the cost.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Lots of stadiums have been built since CMP went up. While at one time it was top of the line- i think it is probably more middle of the road now. Plus its location makes it sort of unimpressive
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Yea I think STL is somewhere around 150-250 million. Privately financed
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 amI don’t see how a soccer stadium downtown would be that beneficial. They have what? 15 home games a year? Wouldn’t that area be a dead zone 11 1/2 months outta the year?
17 Home matches in MLS. Plus there are other potential competitions for SKC - Open Cup, Playoffs, Champion's League, League Cup. Children's Mercy Park also hosts some concerts, college football, and usually 1 game a year for either the men or women's national team. But still, best case scenario, that is probably only 30 large, full-capacity event dates a year.

Then there are smaller events. SKC II currently plays there (but I think they may move back to a smaller facility with the upcoming change in leagues) college soccer, NWSL could possibly play there. CMP also has a number of event spaces for hosting corporate events, weddings, etc. Obviously, those smaller events won't bring in a huge amount of people for such a large space, but it won't be a complete dead zone.

But still, your point stands that it wouldn't be the most active use of space, although it would probably get more use than Washington Square Park. But there are other, more intangible benefits of having a stadium Downtown.

As a Sporting fan, selfishly, I would love to have the stadium Downtown, but I understand the argument against it. Especially something like STL is building that includes practice fields, training facilities, low-density office space - there is a lot of under-used space there.

But either way, I don't think anything will be happening soon. CMP is still a very nice stadium and fits the club's needs. I'm not exactly sure the of the terms/length of their lease, or how hard it might be to break it, but Sporting may be stuck there for a while.

I think in about 5 years, right in time for the 2026 World Cup (hopefully with matches in KC), you will see Sporting making their plans, either for a significant expansion/renovation of CMP, or a new urban stadium. I do think that most of the ownership group would prefer an urban location, but especially if KS throws a bag of money at them, expansion could make more sense financially.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

tskev wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:02 amThey pretty much sell out every game, and it is built so they can expand the seating.
Expansion won't be cheap or easy. The club said they have looked into some smaller expansion possibilities, but they aren't feasible. I think the only option is to build a second deck on the east stands, adding 8,000 seats. That would be a significant project. Throw in some other updates that might be needed at that time, and I wouldn't be surprised if it costs $100M. Not the price of a new stadium, but not cheap.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Thats pretty much what i recall hearing. The stadium can technically be expanded, but the economics of it dont make sense and they may as well just build a new stadium.

I am curious what their lease looks like. I have a feeling they were given that stadium for free.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It’s so annoying when people’s first instinct to any downtown sports is “oNe hOmE gAmE a yEaR” before thinking beyond just ticket sales
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:42 pm It’s so annoying when people’s first instinct to any downtown sports is “oNe hOmE gAmE a yEaR” before thinking beyond just ticket sales
It's not ticket sales either. It's that stadiums are often dead areas and kill development, don't help it. So you have a huge building that just sits dead most of the time.

It's not that people are against it, just that you have to be very careful,
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Which is why downtown stadiums shouldn't be built as standalone islands. Build something such as hirise residential fused into it, the view of field is a unique amenity. Surround it with sports pubs and related interests at streetlevel. Essentially target a mixed use project that happens to have a stadium fused into it.