Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
tskev
Ambassador

Re: Troost developments

Post by tskev »

The story of this whole block being developed over the past 7 years should be turned into a movie. Kind of an unbelievable turn of events. Pretty much the worst-case scenario played out here.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's strange how many buildings on Troost that were empty 10 years ago, are still empty. Almost all of the new investment has been in new construction.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Final capital push expected to bring $13M rebuild to Troost, replacing building held together by ‘duct tape, plaster, and prayer’
Decades of dreaming are coming to an end, said Father Justin Mathews, announcing the final phase of a $13 million capital campaign that’s expected to realize a long-held plan to magnify the impact of Reconciliation Services.

“We’ve been in the building since 1987 — and its been held together with duct tape, plaster, and prayer,” Mathews, founder and executive director of Reconciliation Services, said of the organization’s homebase at the busy intersection of 31st Street and Troost Avenue, shedding light on its future amid a string of developments along the corridor.
Demolition within the building — which also houses Thelma’s Kitchen — is expected to begin in the spring, Mathews told Startland News, detailing the significance of the project and what it means for the residents who rely on the work of Reconciliation Services.
The building’s fifth floor — which burned down in the 1940s — will be rebuilt, expected to house an outdoor therapy garden, chapel, and administrative offices; all overlooking Kansas City.
The building’s design was completed by BNIM Architects. Straub and LM2 Construction will partner to bring it to life — putting a Black, woman-owned company in charge of one of Kansas City’s most equity-focused development projects to-date, Mathews added.
https://www.startlandnews.com/2022/02/r ... -campaign/

YouTube video showing renovation plans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztXhGQ4MCIk&t=144s
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

looks like they are adding an additional floor
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:52 pm More information about 27th and Troost...
The two corners both will house 26 apartments. Together, the sites will include 30 studios, averaging 436 square feet and monthly rents around $872, and 22 one-bedroom units, averaging 534 square feet and rents around $979.

All of the unit rents fall under 80% of the area median income, with most under 70%, Buland said.

Kansas City's Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority last week approved a 10-year, 100% property tax abatement and sales tax exemption on construction materials for the development.

The two parcels represent the last two land sites remaining in the city's longtime Beacon Hill neighborhood redevelopment effort in concert with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, said John Wood, the city's director of neighborhood and housing services, during the LCRA's meeting.

Exact's project emerged from two requests for proposals for the corners, and will satisfy a city obligation to redevelop the properties by March 31, 2023, Wood said...

...Exact anticipates breaking ground on the 27th and Troost apartments in the third quarter. The units then could open in third quarter 2022.
Story Link: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... homes.html

Additional rendering...
This has movement and City Clerk indicates its grown from two 3 story buildings with 25 units each to two 4 story buildings with 34 units each.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

How has the City Clerk indicated this?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

chaglang wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:17 am How has the City Clerk indicated this?
my badmay have worded wrong. The attachment documents from a revised plan dating late January 2022 detailed the changes as well as new renderings in which the color template changed.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There is new construction fencing SE of Linwood and Troost (not the lot directly on the corner which is owned by the PIEA, but just to the east of that owned by Compass Resources). There is some sort of basement/foundation structure on that lot, so perhaps it is coming down. Or perhaps the fence is just to keep out trespassers. I don't see any new permits.

Either way, I guess it is a positive sign for Troost Village, which hasn't really had any indications of moving forward. I did also see some contractor looking types around 911 E Linwood a a week or so ago, which hasn't seen any activity for quite some time.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I hope so. There was a video on Reddit of the vacant lot next to 911 Linwood, on fire. Is UC-B still building on the southwest corner?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I don't know if UC-B still has any involvement in the project. MIlhaus took over the lead and it looks like Sunflower is involved as well.

They recently applied for LIHTC with MHDC and it appears they did not receive them. I'm not sure what this means for the future of the project. I feel like this development, as well as the one at 31st and Troost have been put on the back burner by Milhaus as they work on other projects.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Well, the mystery deepens around Linwood and Troost. I just noticed that the lot to the east of the SE corner, where the construction fencing recently went up, is now owned by Troost Apartments LLC, which has the same address as UC-B Properties.

UC-B was attempting to gain the rights to both the SW and SE corner from PIEA - I think originally back in 2017. I believe they were awarded rights to the SW corner, but no decision was made on the SE. Both corners are still owned by PIEA.

I suppose this does not bode well for Troost Village as originally planned, but hopefully it means that something may be brewing with UC-B/Milhaus for the lots south of Linwood. Perhaps Compass will come back with a scaled down, more realistic vision for Troost Village (or unload it to someone who can get something done).

Does anyone know how to keep tabs on the happenings of the PIEA? They used to post details about their meetings on the EDCKC, but it appears that is no longer the case.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

regarding the SE corner I had a close friend who was building a garden there, just a makeshift community garden with a large angel statue. he is close friends with the owner of 3217 Troost who says his building will be torn down for apartments. long story something is in the works but it's hard to tell exactly who is involved.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Troost Village was always vaporware.

IIRC UCB had an option to buy the SE corner if they developed the SW corner. But that was in like 2015.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I'm just glad the existing buildings are getting renovated, even if it's somehow taking as long as Grand Place to finish. Does anyone have any recent photos of the old Laugh-O-Gram Studios? That building deserves to be saved and could be an incubator for the future creative minds, really it should be a priority.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

daGOAT wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:45 pm I'm just glad the existing buildings are getting renovated, even if it's somehow taking as long as Grand Place to finish. Does anyone have any recent photos of the old Laugh-O-Gram Studios? That building deserves to be saved and could be an incubator for the future creative minds, really it should be a priority.
That poor building can't catch a break. I know it was heavily damaged last fall when a car ran into it. Hopefully they have been able to come back from that. Such a neat piece of history.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

freedog wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:50 pm
daGOAT wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:45 pm I'm just glad the existing buildings are getting renovated, even if it's somehow taking as long as Grand Place to finish. Does anyone have any recent photos of the old Laugh-O-Gram Studios? That building deserves to be saved and could be an incubator for the future creative minds, really it should be a priority.
That poor building can't catch a break. I know it was heavily damaged last fall when a car ran into it. Hopefully they have been able to come back from that. Such a neat piece of history.
It's sad that no one cared enough to invest in the building decades ago. Seriously Disney and Iwerks legacy is easily one of the coolest parts of history and it's been allowed to rot. Ik Butch Rigby cares but at some point you would think the city would do whatever to preserve and re adapt it.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

NB: Laugh-O-Gram is a totally separate project from Troost Village.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I'm aware but this is Troost Developments not Troost Village, so it remains relevant, especially given the auto centricity that threatens a gem and the creative minds that don't have a shot because no one is making a change. A change that quite literally could be spearheaded by... a thorough renovation of Laugh-O-Gram Studios.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I've never understood why Laugh O Gram wasn't created into a museum or something.

I mean Mickey fucking Mouse was born in that shack.

And we just let it sit there and rot? How stupid are we?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:16 pm
I've never understood why Laugh O Gram wasn't created into a museum or something.

I mean Mickey fucking Mouse was born in that shack.

And we just let it sit there and rot? How stupid are we?
Walt Disney tried to make it work in KC but was ripped off in the production of a dozen animated films causing bankruptcy, thus prompting his move to a burgeoning Hollywood. 100 years later and the city (and state) still fail to support filmmaking on a competitive level despite having an amazing arts scene and a great history in cinema. It's maddening lol.

P.S. Disney was actually a WWI vet and had alot of political cartoons (possibly why the Star denied him a job as a comic cartoonist) and there's actually some very interesting short cartoons he did with Ub Iwerks about corruption in KCPD, and the infamous political machine that shaped the city's most iconic time period.

Sorry ik this was kinda off topic.