Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Troost developments

Post by Midtownkid »

moderne wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:51 pm It's a grand old high rise with tremendous redevelopment potential, especially now with the Troost Village redevelopment adjacent. The skyline views to the north are epic.
Yes The Mayfair Apartment-Hotel is a beautiful building by (local architect) Philip Drotts. That is good news!

It has amazing terracotta ornamentation.

He also designed the charming Kitchens by Kleweno building in westport with similar bird-column capitols.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^ A good cleaning and black frame windows would make this building look 100% again.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The Outlook KC development at 45th and Troost was to be heard by the CPC yesterday, but I haven't heard the result. The staff recommendation was for approval with conditions, so I'm guessing that is what happened. This will need to go to BZA, then I'm guessing full Council - which is where the really NIMBY fight is likely to take place.

There were some new renderings with the CPC application.

South Building (Phase 1). Looks like they added balconies and may have increased the top level setback (to make the building look shorter):

Northing Building (Phase 2). Now more closely resembles Phase 1:

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:25 pm The Outlook KC development at 45th and Troost was to be heard by the CPC yesterday, but I haven't heard the result. The staff recommendation was for approval with conditions, so I'm guessing that is what happened. This will need to go to BZA, then I'm guessing full Council - which is where the really NIMBY fight is likely to take place.

There were some new renderings with the CPC application.

South Building (Phase 1). Looks like they added balconies and may have increased the top level setback (to make the building look shorter):

Northing Building (Phase 2). Now more closely resembles Phase 1:

I know quite a few residents in the Hyde Park neighborhood were trying to get this project halted. Complained that it wasn’t the right project for this area, and that they weren’t being heard with their complaints
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What is the right project for the area?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

On this neglected stretch of Troost? Almost anything would be. I guess if I lived directly behind I might dislike loss of morning sun. But this would only improve the adjoining property values.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:02 pm What is the right project for the area?
Apparently to them, more parking and significantly shorter, and not developed by someone who was on the OP city council who opposed developments in OP. They fee as though he’s trying to gentrify the area (although, hard to see how you can gentrify an abandoned car repair shop)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:11 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:02 pm What is the right project for the area?
Apparently to them, more parking and significantly shorter, and not developed by someone who was on the OP city council who opposed developments in OP. They fee as though he’s trying to gentrify the area (although, hard to see how you can gentrify an abandoned car repair shop)
Not sure how we are supposed to reach original midtown population levels without at least building on all the empty/underutilized lots.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The people who oppose everything probably have no idea that the population of their blocks has dropped to 50-70 percent of earlier populations. Depending on the block, it could be more. Their blocks don't produce the tax revenue from property taxes and sales taxes from people living there buying things in the same quantities as residents from 50-75 years ago. If they don't want any new development, the City will need to double their taxes to pay for city services. One of the problems with opposition to everything is no one ever explains this to them.

I never see City leaders saying this on TV and in interviews.

There are residents who prefer to have the City rot around them as long as they don't have to accept change, or new development.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I mean, you buy a house 100 feet from Troost and can't believe they would have the audacity to build a four story building on a major urban road.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:21 pm I mean, you buy a house 100 feet from Troost and can't believe they would have the audacity to build a four story building on a major urban road.
The horror! The desire for developers to densify a transit spine! Who would’ve seen that coming!?!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It was held at CPC, perhaps because the Katz Building was on the same docket (I think).

The neighbors are kind of throwing anything they can find at the project, whether they think it's actually a problem or not. And they've been honest and said they wouldn't oppose the project if it wasn't behind their houses, which is a refreshing level of candor and self-awareness. I suspect the CPC will (at most) send the developer back to meet with the neighbors for a fourth time and then pass the thing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can't understand why anyone living near there would prefer an old body shop with graffiti and a unsightly car wash to nice new buildings.
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:44 am
FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:57 am What is it with the City needing to level almost an entire block for a police station?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0675418 ... !1e3?hl=en
Could be worse. They could have leveled multiple like east patrol.
I'm sure they thought it would deter crime. :lol:
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Critical_Mass wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:24 pm Collison is reporting a $4 million, 26 unit development for the SW corner of 27th and Troost (catty corner from The Mercado)
https://cityscenekc.com/another-apartme ... t-revival/

Development group led by Exact Architects.
Article mentions they also have plans for a commercial building on the SE corner vacant lot.

This development is on the LCRA agenda for this week. It looks like we now have more details about the development on the SE corner and it appears it will be identical to the SW corner - a 26 unit apartment building (although there are no renderings for this corner). Both corners are scheduled to begin construction 3rd quarter 2021 and open in the 3rd quarter 2022.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Troost Corners
sumajestad
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sumajestad »

Haven't seen this posted yet. Gaels Public House is moving into the former Brady's Public House space. Currently completing renovations and set for a summer opening:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 52034.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Hyde Park homeowners oppose proposed mixed-use development
Some homeowners are voicing their opposition to a proposed mixed-use development called KC Outlook.

The proposed development would be built on Troost Avenue between 45th Street and Brush Creek Boulevard in a location that's currently vacant.
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/hy ... evelopment
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Our city basically has that Simpsons lady at each development in Midtown and they just have her scream out "Won't Somebody please think of the Parking"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3D8670smTI
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I had brunch a couple of weeks ago at Urban Cafe on 55th/Troost (patio dining on Troost!), and then walked a few doors down to Black Hole Bakery for to-go treats (excellent, btw). Was surprised to see a flyer posted in the window next to the front door expressing opposition to the KC Outlook project, especially from a small business in a relatively desolate stretch for retail. It boggles the mind...