Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Troost developments

Post by SHPNeighbor »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:34 pm
SHPNeighbor wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:26 pm Hey all. Does anybody know what's going on with the brick building on the southwest corner of 42nd and Troost? I know the building has had issues with homeless starting fires in the past. Seems like a prime location and Hyde Park/Manheim Park could really use some more neighborhood serving businesses around.
Oglesby Hotel?
I'm specifically talking about this building.

https://goo.gl/maps/yk8zDcW5JQd6f5b9A
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The retail spaces in that building are currently being marketed for lease. From what I can tell, there hasn't been any change in ownership.

That building has always been perplexing to me. When was the last time it was occupied? Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to find tenants for either the retail or residential.
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

Seeing some sort of façade and window renovations being done on the building on the southwest corner of Troost and 31st (sort of across from the reconciliation services building being renovated) but can't seem to find any details online. Anyone have any info there?
iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

There are some recent permits on 3110 Troost for partial demolition and new electrical, but I don't see any hints on what they're actually planning.
sumajestad
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sumajestad »

I don't believe this has been posted in this thread yet: a new restaurant/cocktail bar called "Taco Tank" will be opening at 55th and Troost this Spring:

https://kansascitymag.com/food/food-new ... is-spring/

My guess is that this will be in the spot currently occupied by Urban Cafe, as I've heard they are looking at spots in Midtown and will also open a location at the new KCI terminal. I've always really wanted to like Urban Cafe, but for a Brunch/Lunch spot, I've found their selection of sandwiches underwhelming and really wish they would have invested in an espresso machine. I'm optimistic this place will be an upgrade.

The 56 to 54 blocks of Troost don't get talked about a lot on here, probably because much of the development is just redevelopment of existing spaces, but the area is quietly developing into a food and drink destination. Recent additions include or will include:
  • Tiki Taco
  • Gaels Public House and Sports
  • Taco Tank
  • High Hopes Ice Cream
  • Blackhole Bakery
Wah Gwan is also down the street, a little further South, and Baba's Pantry is also basically on Troost, close to that.

Tiki taco is for gringos, but it's undeniably popular. I preferred Brady's to Gaels at that location, but Gaels does better business. The fledgling district could really use a pizzeria, but I imagine it's only a matter of time.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

That building is owned by the Clemons brothers. They owned/renovated the three adjacent buildings to the south on that west side of the block, and I think they sold those off. They have this building posted for sale as well (I'm not sure if they would alternatively be looking to lease it). As far as I know, there is no specific plan or tenant in mind. Probably just a white box finish.

They put this rendering out quite a while ago. I'm not sure if this is still the plan:
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

In other news nearby on Troost, the PIEA was slated to address the SE and SW corner's of Linwood and Troost at this month's board meeting, but it was tabled until February.
sumajestad wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:25 pm I don't believe this has been posted in this thread yet: a new restaurant/cocktail bar called "Taco Tank" will be opening at 55th and Troost this Spring:

https://kansascitymag.com/food/food-new ... is-spring/

My guess is that this will be in the spot currently occupied by Urban Cafe, as I've heard they are looking at spots in Midtown and will also open a location at the new KCI terminal. I've always really wanted to like Urban Cafe, but for a Brunch/Lunch spot, I've found their selection of sandwiches underwhelming and really wish they would have invested in an espresso machine. I'm optimistic this place will be an upgrade.
Yes, it appears that will be going in the Urban Cafe spot. Glad to hear they will be looking for another spot in Midtown. I didn't go to that location as much as their previous spot on 42nd, but I liked what they were doing with their breakfast menu. Can't say I tried any sandwiches.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Someone who is a dubious source told me that the Troost Village redevelopment came to a screeching halt was due to the death of the individual behind it. Anyone know?
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

daGOAT wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:17 pm It’s on Forest. There will be a public alley between Troost and Forest. The project itself is a RFP by the church on 28th and Forest and will be entirely affordable housing. I believe some of the housing trust fund monies got allocated to this project to make it be more feasible.
Development plan appears to have been approved with conditions according to Compass.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Is this part of the Amethyst Place plan?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:28 pm Historic Oglesby Hotel Being Restored as Affordable Housing on Troost
The 130 year-old, Queen Anne-style mansion will find new life providing 25, one-bedroom apartments renting for $650 per month. Eight units will be eligible for KC Housing Authority low-income housing vouchers.
The entire renovation project will cost $6.9 million. About $2.4 million is coming from state and federal historic tax credits, another $1.8 million from the state low-income housing tax credit program and another $1 million from a city housing program.

The Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority (LCRA) also assisted by creating a “footprint” (single property/single project) Urban Renewal Area and awarding a 10-year property tax abatement.

The remainder of the funding is from private sources, including a $400,000 private donation.

The redevelopment is expected to be completed in mid-2022.
https://cityscenekc.com/historic-oglesb ... HVHbNafCPI

The small retail building in front has been demolished already.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3930+ ... 94.5725405
Rosin Preservation posted photos of the finished interior spaces in the Oglesby Hotel apartments.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoNrCR1D264/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The rooftop penthouse is being erected atop Reconciliation Services.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Development plan approval and blight designation for the Outlook KC development at 45th and Troost was on the Council agenda yesterday. The minutes aren't posted yet and I'm not sure what the result was. I do see that last year, the recessed 5th floor was removed from the plans. Here are the updated renderings:

daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:42 am Development plan approval and blight designation for the Outlook KC development at 45th and Troost was on the Council agenda yesterday. The minutes aren't posted yet and I'm not sure what the result was. I do see that last year, the recessed 5th floor was removed from the plans. Here are the updated renderings:

Glad it’s alive. This block is blighted and deserves the redevelopment
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The vacant lot on the SW corner of Troost and Brush Creek is now up for sale. This is just a bit south of the KC Outlook development, so hopefully there could be some synergy with a good development on this lot. There was a proposal for a dialysis center on this lot, but I'm glad to see that has fallen apart.

Here is your depressing reminder of what used to be on this lot, the Rockhill Theater:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/46th-Troost-Ave-Troo
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The original home of the Lyric Opera before it burnt.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I was over just of 44th/45th and Troost a few days back and was really surprised by a plethora of new homes with several under construction on Forest and Tracy (1 and 2 blocks east of Troost). Are these part of a greater development or are they just random vacant lots being redeveloped (or teardown rebuilds)? All pretty modest stuff but nice to see the area getting a influx of new housing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0459829 ... 384!8i8192

I guess this area is called south Mannheim Park.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Not so modest. 400-500K and up. Elevate Design + Build.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Most of those had been vacant lots. There was one house that was demolished on the east side of the street.

Here are the builders of those houses.

https://elevatedesignbuildkc.com/
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

It's nice to see these vacant lots get houses built on them. I'm really hoping to see some more development going on at the intersection of Troost and Cleaver. The Walgreens on the Northwest corner closed and the former Burger King across the street has been sitting vacant for a while now too. I wonder if Ollie Gates has been eyeing those properties. The area could use a mid-tier grocery store (Price Chopper or Hyvee?).