2012 - 2013 SEC football

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: 2012 - 2013 SEC football

Post by Highlander »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
NKC wrote:I love how the Cat fans are taking their frustration out on the SEC. The SEC is by far the best conference in college football again. Look at the BCS rankings. The humans and computers agree. The inferiority complex of Big 12 is amazing. It would have been a joke to have KSU in the National Champoinship. Barely beat Iowa State, destroyed by a Baylor team that may not even go to a bowl.... How is that for a "pud"
Look at the BCS rankings? That's the point. Look at the schedules and judge for yourself. Don't buy into the bias. Look for yourself. Louisiana Lafayette led Florida in the 4th quarter in Gainesville two weeks ago. Florida has ONE loss in the SEC and they almost lost to a four-loss Sun Belt team? Yeah, sure the SEC is clearly the best conference.
Yep, look at A&M, never a world beater in the Big XII has waltzed into the SEC and done pretty well beating what would arguably be their best program and best 2012 team - on their own turf at that. Would A&M lead the Big XII this year? Doubtful, they've never done it in the past. A 14 team conference is actually pretty good for creating nice W-L records; you don't necassarily play more than 1 or 2 games against the better teams and can feast on the likes of Vandy, Kentucky, Mizzou (this year), Tennessee and the Mississippi's year after year.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

NKC wrote:The SEC has more teams in the BCS top 10 than the Big 12 has in top 25. Enough said.
Got it...you are an MU fan who wants to validate their conference...thanks.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Louisiana Monroe took two SEC teams to overtime and beat one of them. Who was the first team to beat them in regulation?

Tulsa led at Arkansas in the 4th quarter. Who beat them fairly easily?
It's not really fair to pick 2 bad SEC teams and say, "Look! LA-Monroe took 2 SEC teams to overtime, and beat one! See? The SEC sucks!" Would you like to see a list of the non-con teams that Kansas has lost to the past 2 seasons? Would you like to see list of Big 12 teams that Kansas has lost to the past two seasons? Nobody can say the Big 12 sucks based solely on KU's performance.

As far as Tulsa leading at Arkansas in the 4th Quarter, go back and re-watch Kansas State vs. Missouri State, then report back to me.

If you're trying to argue that the SEC is overrated, your argument is made stronger (IMO) if you look at the top SEC teams, compared to the top Big 12 teams. I think you did just that in this thread...or another thread, I don't remember which thread. To me, that would be a stronger argument rather than focusing on the bad teams.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

AllThingsKC wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Louisiana Monroe took two SEC teams to overtime and beat one of them. Who was the first team to beat them in regulation?

Tulsa led at Arkansas in the 4th quarter. Who beat them fairly easily?
It's not really fair to pick 2 bad SEC teams and say, "Look! LA-Monroe took 2 SEC teams to overtime, and beat one! See? The SEC sucks!" Would you like to see a list of the non-con teams that Kansas has lost to the past 2 seasons? Would you like to see list of Big 12 teams that Kansas has lost to the past two seasons? Nobody can say the Big 12 sucks based solely on KU's performance.

As far as Tulsa leading at Arkansas in the 4th Quarter, go back and re-watch Kansas State vs. Missouri State, then report back to me.

If you're trying to argue that the SEC is overrated, your argument is made stronger (IMO) if you look at the top SEC teams, compared to the top Big 12 teams. I think you did just that in this thread...or another thread, I don't remember which thread. To me, that would be a stronger argument rather than focusing on the bad teams.
I pointed out those teams because Iowa State and Baylor were the answers to those questions and NKC was saying they were pud. My point was that Big 12's pud is better than SEC's pud.

And, really, you want to compare Missouri State? K-State never trailed in that game and won by 42 points (and it was the first game of the year). That's comparable to trailing for most of the 3rd quarter and some of the 4th quarter and winning by 3 points in the 9th game of the year, how exactly?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: I pointed out those teams because Iowa State and Baylor were the answers to those questions and NKC was saying they were pud. My point was that Big 12's pud is better than SEC's pud.
For what it's worth, Missouri has the same number of conference wins as Baylor.
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: And, really, you want to compare Missouri State? K-State never trailed in that game and won by 42 points (and it was the first game of the year). That's comparable to trailing for most of the 3rd quarter and some of the 4th quarter and winning by 3 points in the 9th game of the year, how exactly?
The same way most people expect KU to lose every single game, most people would expect a bad SEC team to struggle with a team like Tulsa. Not sure many people would expect the best Big 12 team to need 3 quarters to warm up against a weak Missouri Valley team.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

AllThingsKC wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: I pointed out those teams because Iowa State and Baylor were the answers to those questions and NKC was saying they were pud. My point was that Big 12's pud is better than SEC's pud.
For what it's worth, Missouri has the same number of conference wins as Baylor.
And Arkansas.
AllThingsKC wrote: The same way most people expect KU to lose every single game, most people would expect a bad SEC team to struggle with a team like Tulsa. Not sure many people would expect the best Big 12 team to need 3 quarters to warm up against a weak Missouri Valley team.
Really? You're really trying to equate 19-15 mid-season to 51-9 in the first game? Really?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Really? You're really trying to equate 19-15 mid-season to 51-9 in the first game? Really?
Given the difference in the quality of the teams, yes. Both teams did what they had to do....eventually.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

AllThingsKC wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Really? You're really trying to equate 19-15 mid-season to 51-9 in the first game? Really?
Given the difference in the quality of the teams, yes. Both teams did what they had to do....eventually.
I guess you've officially become a troll then. I guess it happened awhile ago but you were a good poster for so long, I thought you were still being serious.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: I guess you've officially become a troll then. I guess it happened awhile ago but you were a good poster for so long, I thought you were still being serious.
Read some of MoMan's posts, then decide who the troll is.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

AllThingsKC wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: I guess you've officially become a troll then. I guess it happened awhile ago but you were a good poster for so long, I thought you were still being serious.
Read some of MoMan's posts, then decide who the troll is.
Both.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Both.
When you're losing an argument, you go straight for the name-calling. MoMan does the same thing.

But, we're getting really off topic.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

AllThingsKC wrote:
C'mon AllThings... you're better than that.
NKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NKC »

KCPowercat wrote:
NKC wrote:The SEC has more teams in the BCS top 10 than the Big 12 has in top 25. Enough said.
I am an MU fan, but that is not why I argue the SEC is superior conference to the Big 12. In fact, it isn't my argument at all.... it is what every pollster and pundit that follows college football is saying. The SEC currently holds half of the spots in the BCS Top 10. Can't argue against that.

For what it's worth, given the inept coaching and injuries I think Mizzou would have been equally poor in the Big 12 this year.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

NKC wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
I am an MU fan, but that is not why I argue the SEC is superior conference to the Big 12. In fact, it isn't my argument at all.... it is what every pollster and pundit that follows college football is saying. The SEC currently holds half of the spots in the BCS Top 10. Can't argue against that.
Except for the computer rankings which rank Big 12 #1. You know, the rankings that don't have an SEC bias.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Pinkel forced resignation announcement coming soon.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shinatoo wrote:Pinkel forced resignation announcement coming soon.
WHA?????????????? Where are you getting this from?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCMax wrote:
shinatoo wrote:Pinkel forced resignation announcement coming soon.
WHA?????????????? Where are you getting this from?
People who know people. I'm 60/40 sure. Maybe higher.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I'm a KU fan, and even I don't think MU is that dumb.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chaglang wrote:I'm a KU fan, and even I don't think MU is that dumb.
You'd be surprised how many fans want him gone. Of course, these are the same fans that wanted to be in the SEC.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -overrated
The SEC is awesome, usually, so a season like this was probably inevitable -- a year when the league would live off its reputation. Meanwhile, one-loss teams Florida State, Oregon and Kansas State have almost no shot at the BCS title game because they come from the wrong conference.

It's a Ponzi scheme, this 2012 SEC fraud, built upon layers of air. Georgia is great because it has beaten Florida. Florida is great because it has beaten Texas A&M. Texas A&M is great because it has beaten Alabama. And Alabama is great because it has beaten ... um, who has Alabama beaten, anyway?