OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

Eon Blue wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:11 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:21 pm
So you expect members of the PNL operations staff to place signs in areas that are outside of their territory? I've never seen this done before, probably for good reason.
Put up permanent variable message boards on Grand a few blocks away at say 10th and 18th - somewhere far enough back to give people options besides Truman.

Check out what Minneapolis has on some of their downtown traffic signal masts: https://goo.gl/maps/1ZPE8XBHcsKVcMf37
Great idea.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It is unique.

I agree the cap would help make events like this much more doable. All for the cap. Have been since before Cordish was even a whisper here.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Are there hay bales and pumpkins?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The thing that people rarely talk about is that it's dangerous for pedestrians too.

I don't know what this is and won't go. But I do walk around downtown every day, and having a bunch of confused drivers because streets are closed gets really dangerous.

The "it only matters if you care about full streets" comment above was obnoxious and not true.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Cornucopia: KC’s Ultimate Fall Festival – October 15-17
Cross everything off your fall bucket list at Kansas City Power & Light District’s second annual Cornucopia: KC’s Ultimate Fall Festival. Covering three streets throughout the District, the festival is all things fall with live entertainment, yummy treats, family-friendly activities, carnival rides—including a Ferris wheel, plus much more. Carnival festivities will be available all weekend with the main events taking place on Saturday.
https://www.inkansascity.com/events-pho ... -15-10-17/
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:35 pm The thing that people rarely talk about is that it's dangerous for pedestrians too.

I don't know what this is and won't go. But I do walk around downtown every day, and having a bunch of confused drivers because streets are closed gets really dangerous.

The "it only matters if you care about full streets" comment above was obnoxious and not true.
Shutting down streets for pedestrian only traffic makes it more dangerous for pedestrians? Joking; I understand your point but I disagree. Everyday down here as a pedestrian is dangerous with the drivers zooming around downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Any pedestrian will tell you the most dangerous driver is a confused one.

Shutting down grand for two blocks isn't some pedestrian gift.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I mean are we really making a big deal out of this? Is everything out of the norm always a DEFCON 5 type of travesty? So they closed down Grand for 2 blocks? If that confuses you as a driver so much you become lethal to pedestrians they need to take away your license. Walnut & Main are through streets North & South. Most East/West streets are 1 way downtown anyway, with a few exceptions. Yes closures cause some confusion but I would say most traffic downtown is typically purposeful by people who know the streets and their destination.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:15 am I mean are we really making a big deal out of this? Is everything out of the norm always a DEFCON 5 type of travesty? So they closed down Grand for 2 blocks? If that confuses you as a driver so much you become lethal to pedestrians they need to take away your license. Walnut & Main are through streets North & South. Most East/West streets are 1 way downtown anyway, with a few exceptions. Yes closures cause some confusion but I would say most traffic downtown is typically purposeful by people who know the streets and their destination.
It seems like anytime grand is shut down, regardless of the situation a few people on here dislike it. It’s a broken record and I’m guessing those who bitch have never been to any of the events these streets get shut down for. They want an amazing downtown neighborhood, but don’t want to deal with the street closures that come along with it for events.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:22 pm Any pedestrian will tell you the most dangerous driver is a confused one.

Shutting down grand for two blocks isn't some pedestrian gift.
You make it sound like being a “pedestrian” is some kind of club. Anyone with the ability to walk on a sidewalk downtown becomes a pedestrian and I’m guessing if you line up 10 pedestrians and ask them what the most dangerous threat to them would be as pedestrians, maybe and I mean maybe one person would say confused drivers.

Since we are making stuff up, here’s mine. Any pedestrian will tell you the safest drivers are the ones who can’t access certain streets because they’re shut down to vehicular traffic. Just ask em, they’ll tell you!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You are pretty good at making things up in this thread I give you that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:46 am You are pretty good at making things up in this thread I give you that.
Example? You’re winning story telling time so far! I may have opinions you don’t agree with but I’ve not made anything up. Other than when being facetious.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:52 pm I think a large portion of downtown residents will think it's cool that can attend "a country fair" in the heart of a city.
the majority opinion is that these urban festivals are worth the pain.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:38 am
dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:15 am I mean are we really making a big deal out of this? Is everything out of the norm always a DEFCON 5 type of travesty? So they closed down Grand for 2 blocks? If that confuses you as a driver so much you become lethal to pedestrians they need to take away your license. Walnut & Main are through streets North & South. Most East/West streets are 1 way downtown anyway, with a few exceptions. Yes closures cause some confusion but I would say most traffic downtown is typically purposeful by people who know the streets and their destination.
It seems like anytime grand is shut down, regardless of the situation a few people on here dislike it. It’s a broken record and I’m guessing those who bitch have never been to any of the events these streets get shut down for. They want an amazing downtown neighborhood, but don’t want to deal with the street closures that come along with it for events.
As one you are talking about here I've been pretty consistent as to my reasoning. We have major bus lanes running through here. Closing it off interrupts an already fragile schedule and is made even worse right now with the backups happening on Truman with construction and closures. We are about to redesign Grand again for better bike paths which will be used even more so now we're redirecting that as well.

I think the events are cool and have attended many and do add to the downtown experience. That doesn't mean I'm 100% okay with how they are hosted and I think there is room for improvement in how many times we close Grand, for how long, and how we handle the closures with signage. It's more on the city than the private entity. The city agreed to let Cordish do this whenever they want. I think that needs to be revisited. You tend to always take it as an attack on Cordish when it's really not. They definitely could be more considerate to the neighborhood but they are in it for the buck, I get that.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I have zero loyalty to Cordish, and no interest stake in them at all. You have made an assumption and I believe have confused me with another person, no big deal. I like that Cordish has taken a very active role in developing downtown and applaud them for doing so. I do not believe they shoul dbe given "carte blanche" to do whatever they please, so I agree that certain things should be revisited over time.

This has more to do about the "dire angst" tone of your post about street closures leading to total mayhem downtown. Will they have an impact, yes I'm sure. Will there be some disruptions, almost certain. But not sure if the impact will be so dire, that's all. Just found it amusing how all the dominions began to fall with doom and gloom. But you are entitle to your opinion and analysis, and I respect that, even if I do not fully embrace it.

FYI the lid over 670 would create some great space and opportunities to use that space for such events that would leave open Grand and a through street. From the renderings I have seen the park space planned would be a great fit for the event in the future
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:40 am I have zero loyalty to Cordish, and no interest stake in them at all. You have made an assumption and I believe have confused me with another person, no big deal. I like that Cordish has taken a very active role in developing downtown and applaud them for doing so. I do not believe they shoul dbe given "carte blanche" to do whatever they please, so I agree that certain things should be revisited over time.

This has more to do about the "dire angst" tone of your post about street closures leading to total mayhem downtown. Will they have an impact, yes I'm sure. Will there be some disruptions, almost certain. But not sure if the impact will be so dire, that's all. Just found it amusing how all the dominions began to fall with doom and gloom. But you are entitle to your opinion and analysis, and I respect that, even if I do not fully embrace it.

FYI the lid over 670 would create some great space and opportunities to use that space for such events that would leave open Grand and a through street. From the renderings I have seen the park space planned would be a great fit for the event in the future
Yeah I was really only responding to Dcole and nowhere in my post did I say anything about anybody having a stake in Cordish nor am I trying to portray doom and gloom and none of my posts have that tone.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Fair enough. Perhaps I should use the term "snark" in place of doom & gloom.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's a flaw I have in message boarding. This is just a good forum to talk about these smaller things that we can work to fix and improve the bigger picture for a lot of downtown office workers/residents/visitors.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:38 am
As one you are talking about here I've been pretty consistent as to my reasoning. We have major bus lanes running through here. Closing it off interrupts an already fragile schedule and is made even worse right now with the backups happening on Truman with construction and closures. We are about to redesign Grand again for better bike paths which will be used even more so now we're redirecting that as well.

I think the events are cool and have attended many and do add to the downtown experience. That doesn't mean I'm 100% okay with how they are hosted and I think there is room for improvement in how many times we close Grand, for how long, and how we handle the closures with signage. It's more on the city than the private entity. The city agreed to let Cordish do this whenever they want. I think that needs to be revisited. You tend to always take it as an attack on Cordish when it's really not. They definitely could be more considerate to the neighborhood but they are in it for the buck, I get that.
I appreciate your frustration and concern. I think you’d be more ok with the street closures if you had more intimidate knowledge of the process and how serious they do consider the negative ramifications. They don’t just close it anytime they want. They work with the city and other downtown tenants to plan these closures. If they were just doing this for a buck, they’d put on even more events but understand they need to limit their street closures to lower level. So only a few larger events are held each year. Making it more difficult for people to get to their Tenants is always a serious concern. These festivals aren’t big money makers. They’re almost always free and are just meant to offer downtown residents something to do and market the area to non-residents. Matter of fact, this event will not even come close to making the money invested back according to the event person I know.

I will agree signage needs to be better and even though the responsibility doesn’t fall on Cordish, they should step up.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

How included is our neighborhood association at these planning meetings? RideKC (Dave?)? Downtown Council?

I do think if Cordish is closing roads they bear responsibility to sign it properly just like I mentioned construction companies are required to do for detours. That falls on the city to require that though, not cordish out of their good ole hearts.