OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:01 am
UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:19 pm What ideas you thinking about?
Well, for starters, I think it's time to start relaying the brick sidewalks since some are beginning to get crooked and have dips in them. Maybe swap the colors out for something different than there currently is down there.

Some of the buildings need a facade refresh as they resemble similar architect to the Legends Outlet Mall. 17 years ago it was fine but now, there's a need for a refresh. And I don't mean every single building, just a few to enhance the feel of the district.

Moving forward, 4 Light (depending on where it is in design), and the Sky partnership towers south of 670, need to move away from the all glass facades and begin including some masonry components. Maybe just don't create walls of glass. If these are the last three high-rises to be constructed down there, make them more visually interesting than the current offering.

And, perhaps my biggest idea, begin making the push for local retailers and restaurants to open up a location there. Subsidize their rents so they can afford to compete with the big players. Make the district feel more unique instead of a place loaded with chains. The Power and Light District has enough vacant retail space that's been collecting dust where this is entirely possible.

Reinvent the district for the next 2+ decades. Make it a place to be found. Make it a place more unique than other Cordish offerings.
Not sure these are new ideas from when it opened. The sidewalks have been redone like 3 times so all for changing that up.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It would be nice if every district in this city was something more than just a drinking district. I love going out & having a few but just feels like that's more of the focus rather than food/retail.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Any chance Cornish lets me open a gelato shop in the old ticket booth on Walnut and what would they gouge me on rent?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:20 pm Any chance Cornish lets me open a gelato shop in the old ticket booth on Walnut and what would they gouge me on rent?
Whatever they charge you, I’ll gladly help you make up in the gallons I would purchase
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:41 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:20 pm Any chance Cornish lets me open a gelato shop in the old ticket booth on Walnut and what would they gouge me on rent?
Whatever they charge you, I’ll gladly help you make up in the gallons I would purchase
+1

BFA is going to absolutely tank all my New Year’s resolutions
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Because that ticket office has to be around 50 ft2 max, just big enough for a couple gelato makers and a cash register. The cost should be cheap because it's small and there aren't really many uses for it otherwise. Plus, it's a better location just next to Live and TMobile Center.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Aside from your dream and size preferences, I've mentioned before that the empty building on the NW corner of 14th and Main should be a Sheridan's Frozen Custard, Cold Stone Creamery, Baskin-Robbins, or even a Shake Shack.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.097236, ... 384!8i8192
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

FangKC wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:19 am Aside from your dream and size preferences, I've mentioned before that the empty building on the NW corner of 14th and Main should be a Sheridan's Frozen Custard, Cold Stone Creamery, Baskin-Robbins, or even a Shake Shack.

Yep, I’d take that building for cheap too if Cornish wants to rent it to me. Should be cheap since it’s been vacant for a decade and no one has ever rented it. It’s pretty much worthless. I’ll pay $500/month, increasing their profit for the space an infinite amount.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's most likely going to be demolished.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

^Yes but its future use there will still include ground floor retail
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:11 pm Hey Cordish employees, I know you read this forum so maybe you can answer this.

When are we going to see 4 Light or the Sky partnership projects announced? We’ve been tugged along by forum users for a while now that announcements are “around the corner” but alas, here we are. No announcement. Not even a whiff of a hint.

The business model I see from Cordish is to build one product, let it lease, learn from that project and others, and the move on to the next one with a refined vision. It seems to work well. I seriously doubt you’d change that to have three residential high-rises and a building renovation going on at once. I feel like we’re told one thing and then I hear, or read, another thing that’s completely contradictory to the previous claim.

If you need to contact me, I make it pretty easy to get in touch with me.
My information comes from Cordish employees. I’m not speculating, I tell you all what I’m told. Well, I did until a reporter read things on here and called Cordish. So now I’m not giving out information until I know it’s close to being public. I’m also getting it less frequently.

This is a forum. What you read or hear on here is no reflection or official correspondence from Cordish. You’re not being tugged along. You’re getting information (most often accurate) before anyone else. Things change quickly and dates get pushed back. Did you know Cordish has a total of at least 6 more residential projects in the KC market they’re working on? Probably not.

As for your suggestions. Right an email but maybe be a bit more respectful and understand you’re talking to a company who knows what they’re doing. It’s clear you haven’t been here long enough to fully take it the district as there are more locally owned concepts than nationally owned ones. Cordish is well known for working with local owners and being highly flexible on leasing terms. Several more local tenants are in negotiations right now.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:21 pm Because that ticket office has to be around 50 ft2 max, just big enough for a couple gelato makers and a cash register. The cost should be cheap because it's small and there aren't really many uses for it otherwise. Plus, it's a better location just next to Live and TMobile Center.
That is used for a box office.

Old MeMa’s space is perfect.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:33 am
FangKC wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:19 am Aside from your dream and size preferences, I've mentioned before that the empty building on the NW corner of 14th and Main should be a Sheridan's Frozen Custard, Cold Stone Creamery, Baskin-Robbins, or even a Shake Shack.

Yep, I’d take that building for cheap too if Cornish wants to rent it to me. Should be cheap since it’s been vacant for a decade and no one has ever rented it. It’s pretty much worthless. I’ll pay $500/month, increasing their profit for the space an infinite amount.
The dirt floor is worth millions.

Just get a mobile cart and I can get you a premium space.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:31 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:01 am
UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:19 pm What ideas you thinking about?
Well, for starters, I think it's time to start relaying the brick sidewalks since some are beginning to get crooked and have dips in them. Maybe swap the colors out for something different than there currently is down there.

Some of the buildings need a facade refresh as they resemble similar architect to the Legends Outlet Mall. 17 years ago it was fine but now, there's a need for a refresh. And I don't mean every single building, just a few to enhance the feel of the district.

Moving forward, 4 Light (depending on where it is in design), and the Sky partnership towers south of 670, need to move away from the all glass facades and begin including some masonry components. Maybe just don't create walls of glass. If these are the last three high-rises to be constructed down there, make them more visually interesting than the current offering.

And, perhaps my biggest idea, begin making the push for local retailers and restaurants to open up a location there. Subsidize their rents so they can afford to compete with the big players. Make the district feel more unique instead of a place loaded with chains. The Power and Light District has enough vacant retail space that's been collecting dust where this is entirely possible.

Reinvent the district for the next 2+ decades. Make it a place to be found. Make it a place more unique than other Cordish offerings.
Not sure these are new ideas from when it opened. The sidewalks have been redone like 3 times so all for changing that up.
The damn sidewalks have been a major issue and a costly one. Plans are being discussed on how to fix this but to do the whole district, it’s over 1.5 million.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

How about replacing them with stamped pattern, colored-reddish concrete?

https://www.con-quip.com/decorative-concrete.html
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:02 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:11 pm Hey Cordish employees, I know you read this forum so maybe you can answer this.

When are we going to see 4 Light or the Sky partnership projects announced? We’ve been tugged along by forum users for a while now that announcements are “around the corner” but alas, here we are. No announcement. Not even a whiff of a hint.

The business model I see from Cordish is to build one product, let it lease, learn from that project and others, and the move on to the next one with a refined vision. It seems to work well. I seriously doubt you’d change that to have three residential high-rises and a building renovation going on at once. I feel like we’re told one thing and then I hear, or read, another thing that’s completely contradictory to the previous claim.

If you need to contact me, I make it pretty easy to get in touch with me.
My information comes from Cordish employees. I’m not speculating, I tell you all what I’m told. Well, I did until a reporter read things on here and called Cordish. So now I’m not giving out information until I know it’s close to being public. I’m also getting it less frequently.

This is a forum. What you read or hear on here is no reflection or official correspondence from Cordish. You’re not being tugged along. You’re getting information (most often accurate) before anyone else. Things change quickly and dates get pushed back. Did you know Cordish has a total of at least 6 more residential projects in the KC market they’re working on? Probably not.

As for your suggestions. Right an email but maybe be a bit more respectful and understand you’re talking to a company who knows what they’re doing. It’s clear you haven’t been here long enough to fully take it the district as there are more locally owned concepts than nationally owned ones. Cordish is well known for working with local owners and being highly flexible on leasing terms. Several more local tenants are in negotiations right now.
Yeah but understand this. You've said things about 4 Light, Midland and the Sky partnership for a long time now and the claims have yielded nothing. I don't doubt that what you were told was true at one point, but the fact nothing has happened surprises me.

I'm aware of them doing 6 other residential projects. I've seen the PM.

I know what Cordish knows what they're doing. They wouldn't be in business if they didn't have a clue. They might work with local owners to create new business concepts, but I want to see them go hardcore hyperlocal with stuff. Make the Power and Light District a centerpiece for this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

By nature a city's entertainment district isn't hyper local. . That's what crossroads excels at. It prefer not to have this compete.

Some may not remember these same discussions when pnl was building
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I was 3 when this thread started, so apologies for not realizing the discussion was had already. But with the continued success of the Crossroads, and the fact that it's slowly starting to connect with the P&L District, it might make some sense to start to reexamine the discussions a bit.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I don't doubt DCole's sourcing. He's been correct before (3 Light). I do wonder what is taking them so long to do the Midland ceremony however.