OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:26 pm I was 3 when this thread started, so apologies for not realizing the discussion was had already. But with the continued success of the Crossroads, and the fact that it's slowly starting to connect with the P&L District, it might make some sense to start to reexamine the discussions a bit.
Just seems that would be asking times square to be all locals. We all were wanting these then pnl opened but as we look at it now, probably doesn't make sense. We have great neighborhoods for local places.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:03 am That is never used for a box office.
fyp
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:05 am The dirt floor is worth millions.
Then Cornish has flushed millions down the toilet for the last decade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:27 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:21 pm Saturday afternoon. There was definitely more trash in that stairwell than what was created in a short amount of time. Totally understand struggles with homelessness and very sympathetic to the situation (on both sides), I was surprised Cordish seems to be letting it go to have that level of garbage in there.
They had 10,000 people there at 7am Saturday for the World Cup. This is why I asked because that's not normal but makes sense considering how trashed the entire block gets after major events. Combine that with a short staff and the parking garage entrance probably wasn't a top priority.

Cordish keeps the entire district very clean, so this had to be an exception.
This reddit post reminded me of this discussion and how I was told what I saw was an exception

https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/com ... are_button
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:39 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:27 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:21 pm Saturday afternoon. There was definitely more trash in that stairwell than what was created in a short amount of time. Totally understand struggles with homelessness and very sympathetic to the situation (on both sides), I was surprised Cordish seems to be letting it go to have that level of garbage in there.
They had 10,000 people there at 7am Saturday for the World Cup. This is why I asked because that's not normal but makes sense considering how trashed the entire block gets after major events. Combine that with a short staff and the parking garage entrance probably wasn't a top priority.

Cordish keeps the entire district very clean, so this had to be an exception.
This reddit post reminded me of this discussion and how I was told what I saw was an exception

https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/com ... are_button
LOL. I have to admit to being one of the people recently confused by the Pay Station signs. We wondered around looking for them for a few minutes before giving up and taking our chances at the gate.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Maybe convert some of the long-vacant retail into homeless shelter beds?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:14 pm Maybe convert some of the long-vacant retail into homeless shelter beds?
Woah, Is this the actual trailerkid???
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:04 pm
trailerkid wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:14 pm Maybe convert some of the long-vacant retail into homeless shelter beds?
Woah, Is this the actual trailerkid???
Back in da building! :oops:
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Must be some kind of record, 10 years between posts!
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ?csrc=6398

Super interesting article today in the KCBJ. What went so right in 2008 that never happened again? Even after most of the economy bounced back after the financial crisis.

Anyway - I don't really remember a KC without P&L. For instance, I had no idea there was a haunted house in what is now the district. Yikes.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'm going to guess that is related to construction expenditures?

edit: or maybe just it's initial valuation.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

City bond repayment. Bonds issued for construction (which included large city owned garages and infrastructure improvements.
JohnKCMO
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Post by JohnKCMO »

Apparently if you're not a high end retailer they aren't interested in renting to you. I'm finding that they would just as soon keep those retail spaces vacant and have KC pay their debts.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

i can understand not wanting a bottom tier tenant in the district.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Bottom tier tenant > 15+ years with a completely empty retail space on a prominent corner of literally the Main Street
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Rent to a cannabis dispensary. At least the City would collect some weed tax if the ordinance passes -- which I assume it will.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

What do folks think about Cordish bringing in Barnes & Noble along Main?

B&N is in expansion mode (at the moment) doing well with smaller stores (see Adams Dairy Parkway) with local book buyers. I don't like B&N but Cordish isn't gonna go with an indie.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

trailerkid wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:22 pm What do folks think about Cordish bringing in Barnes & Noble along Main?

B&N is in expansion mode (at the moment) doing well with smaller stores (see Adams Dairy Parkway) with local book buyers. I don't like B&N but Cordish isn't gonna go with an indie.

LuluLemon or B&N i would like to see downtown. Maybe P&L is the wrong vibe. Maybe Crossroads?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The more bookstores the better
Greyscale
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Greyscale »

Frequent lurker here, but wanted to share this article about how the bookstore industry might be changing. Amazon is seen as the new bad guy, and B&N helps keep publishers interested in physical books, while providing a place where readers can discover new works and authors.

How Barnes & Noble Went from Villain to Hero
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/15/arts ... =url-share

In the past, the book-selling empire, with 600 outposts across all 50 states, was seen by many readers, writers and book lovers as strong-arming publishers and gobbling up independent stores in its quest for market share.

Today, virtually the entire publishing industry is rooting for Barnes & Noble — including most independent booksellers. Its unique role in the book ecosystem, where it helps readers discover new titles and publishers stay invested in physical stores, makes it an essential anchor in a world upended by online sales and a much larger player: Amazon.

[…]

Buying a book you’re looking for online is easy. You search. You click. You buy. What’s lost in that process are the accidental finds, the book you pick up in a store because of its cover, a paperback you see on a stroll through the thriller section.
No one has quite figured out how to replicate that kind of incidental discovery online. It makes bookstores hugely important not only for readers but also for all but the biggest-name writers, as well as for agents and publishers of all sizes.

Independent shops play an important role in that kind of discovery, but because Barnes & Noble stores are so large, they can usually keep more titles on hand. And in many parts of the country, there are no independents: Barnes & Noble is the only bookstore in town.

[…]

The chain also keeps publishers invested in distributing physical books around the country, said Kristen McLean, executive director of business development at NPD Books, which tracks the market.

That is good for booksellers of all sizes.