OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by DColeKC »

Different topic: Anyone else notice they've put raised pavement buttons in the intersection of Grand and Truman? It's one idea they're trying to stop the burnout gang.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah they did 13th and grand a couple weeks ago. Frustrating have to try all these baindaid fixees. Need to change the laws to allow for stronger penalties. Impound a few cars a week after they do it and that will dry up pretty quick.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:08 pm yeah they did 13th and grand a couple weeks ago. Frustrating have to try all these baindaid fixees. Need to change the laws to allow for stronger penalties. Impound a few cars a week after they do it and that will dry up pretty quick.
Have seen posts on-line and heard in-person that they street race because there is no private track. As if the ability to race is a right or that street racing in downtown is the only possible place for it to occur.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by trexel94 »

Nice write up on current and future Cordish projects from KCBJ.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 1#cxrecs_s

Key takeaways
- 4 Light is still speculated to be a apartment/hotel combo
- Still approved for up to 6 six towers
- More tenants to be announced especially as 3 Light nears completion
- No plans to expand beyond P&L boundaries
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:54 pm Different topic: Anyone else notice they've put raised pavement buttons in the intersection of Grand and Truman? It's one idea they're trying to stop the burnout gang.
They've been in place for awhile now...
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:08 pm yeah they did 13th and grand a couple weeks ago. Frustrating have to try all these baindaid fixees. Need to change the laws to allow for stronger penalties. Impound a few cars a week after they do it and that will dry up pretty quick.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Anecdotally, as a downtown resident, I've heard less revving of engines and burnouts recently. My guess is that it has more to do with the cold than anything else though.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

2022 was the best year ever for PNL district with tenants doing over 100 million in combined revenue.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:50 pm 2022 was the best year ever for PNL district with tenants doing over 100 million in combined revenue.
That’s impressive. How much was the next biggest year before this?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Does that mean the City is no longer covering a portion of bond payments for the District?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Correct, that would lead to the city paying less.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:22 am Does that mean the City is no longer covering a portion of bond payments for the District?
It’s all public record but I’m not sure what the threshold is where the city doesn’t kick in. The projections were very far off.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It will probably never not need funding until bonds are paid off.

Should have never been projected to do so. Even back then they said it was a long shot. Same time KCMO got infrastructure rebuilt and underground garages out of it not to mention an entertainment district driving tourism. Not s bad frlw IMO.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Hey Cordish employees, I know you read this forum so maybe you can answer this.

When are we going to see 4 Light or the Sky partnership projects announced? We’ve been tugged along by forum users for a while now that announcements are “around the corner” but alas, here we are. No announcement. Not even a whiff of a hint.

The business model I see from Cordish is to build one product, let it lease, learn from that project and others, and the move on to the next one with a refined vision. It seems to work well. I seriously doubt you’d change that to have three residential high-rises and a building renovation going on at once. I feel like we’re told one thing and then I hear, or read, another thing that’s completely contradictory to the previous claim.

If you need to contact me, I make it pretty easy to get in touch with me.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Why would they want to contact you?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

If you look at cordish practices in KC vs. cordish pr in KC, they're pretty clear, like you said.

They follow one of the more consistent patterns in the market if you ignore the posts here and wish casting.

I doubt they have any interest in clarifying for you though. Just watch 3 light leasing numbers.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

missingkc wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:18 pm Why would they want to contact you?
No particular reason beyond I have questions for them and I’d prefer not to ask DCole about it because I don’t know how connected he is with them or not. Word spreads.

Plus, being who I am, I have some ideas for them to make the Power and Light District much better as it fast approaches its 20th anniversary.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

What ideas you thinking about?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:19 pm What ideas you thinking about?
Well, for starters, I think it's time to start relaying the brick sidewalks since some are beginning to get crooked and have dips in them. Maybe swap the colors out for something different than there currently is down there.

Some of the buildings need a facade refresh as they resemble similar architect to the Legends Outlet Mall. 17 years ago it was fine but now, there's a need for a refresh. And I don't mean every single building, just a few to enhance the feel of the district.

Moving forward, 4 Light (depending on where it is in design), and the Sky partnership towers south of 670, need to move away from the all glass facades and begin including some masonry components. Maybe just don't create walls of glass. If these are the last three high-rises to be constructed down there, make them more visually interesting than the current offering.

And, perhaps my biggest idea, begin making the push for local retailers and restaurants to open up a location there. Subsidize their rents so they can afford to compete with the big players. Make the district feel more unique instead of a place loaded with chains. The Power and Light District has enough vacant retail space that's been collecting dust where this is entirely possible.

Reinvent the district for the next 2+ decades. Make it a place to be found. Make it a place more unique than other Cordish offerings.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:01 am
UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:19 pm What ideas you thinking about?
And, perhaps my biggest idea, begin making the push for local retailers and restaurants to open up a location there. Subsidize their rents so they can afford to compete with the big players. Make the district feel more unique instead of a place loaded with chains. The Power and Light District has enough vacant retail space that's been collecting dust where this is entirely possible.

Reinvent the district for the next 2+ decades. Make it a place to be found. Make it a place more unique than other Cordish offerings.
Nice ideas. I will say super quickly on this point that Cordish does work with local concepts - at least to a certain extent. I have some knowledge of the Dubliner business which was locally operated. They really did work to lower the rent and try to keep it going. The OG group is pretty much all out now but Haverty's still involved with the new Hooley House.

I always thought they should break that space up more. There's a beautiful library area on the 14th street side of the bar. Was always closed because there weren't enough people to fill or work that space and the main area. Could've been a neat partnership with a local coffee shop in the mornings/early afternoon. Maybe there is some agreement with Cordish preventing operators from splitting up the interior like that? It's just so damn big.