OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
smh
Supporter

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:54 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:09 pm I don't think a random email to contact us is going to alter the membership of the groups planning events. I think this is best handled through the DNA and working through the city to ensure we get represented in these matters. It's just good practice to involve the applicable neighborhood associations. Kind of surprised DNA isn't involved.
Anyone on this forum a board member of DNA? Cordish had rep on the board last I knew.
I'm not sure the entirety of the board makeup at this point but I haven't heard of a Cordish member on the board for several years.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

My suggestion was to have DNA representation in these cordidh meetings for event ideas or logistics or whatever.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Nick Benjamin is out at Cordish. I was told something went down and he has transitioned out. Friend tells me it was very sudden and unexpected.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

...And here I come from out of nowhere to take his position. We're going to have some fun with this.

No no. In all honestly, sort of disappointing to see him go. He at least responded to messages I've sent when I inquired about things while other people at Cordish blew them off. Hopefully he finds a better opportunity elsewhere.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:32 pm Nick Benjamin is out at Cordish. I was told something went down and he has transitioned out. Friend tells me it was very sudden and unexpected.
Super disappointing. He was a huge proponent of making sure the kinds of changes most people on this board would want, we're at least discussed.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Snooping on Bahua's website. Find these throwback images of the area before P&L. Enjoy!

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

OneLife sign being replaced with Genesis today

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Came across this wild stat in the P&L community impact report (p.16/17)
There's been a 75% increase in the downtown population since 2020
Why such a jump? Covid? Did a lot of multifamily suddenly open in 2020?

https://issuu.com/eci-llc/docs/kcpl_com ... NDg3MX0%3D
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Probably a typo or a misunderstanding. The 2020 estimate was about 27K-30K for Greater Downtown depending on source. Another 20K in two years didn't happen.

About 38K projected for 2025...
https://www.downtownkc.org/research-rep ... -kc-market
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:59 pm Came across this wild stat in the P&L community impact report (p.16/17)
There's been a 75% increase in the downtown population since 2020
Why such a jump? Covid? Did a lot of multifamily suddenly open in 2020?

https://issuu.com/eci-llc/docs/kcpl_com ... NDg3MX0%3D
Maybe, YoY? Growth in residents almost doubled from 2021 to 2020? ie. 4000 more residents in 2021 and 7000 more in 2020?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

It says 75% increase since 2010, not since 2020.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yeah, probably a typo.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Cordish won't talk about this or the city, but at what point do they just admit they fucked up?

Just demolish that shit and start over. It's not going to be retail hub. You're not going to get people selling jeans and women's high end.

Just come up with a new concept. They're not the first company to fail. Who cares?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:13 pm Cordish won't talk about this or the city, but at what point do they just admit they fucked up?

Just demolish that shit and start over. It's not going to be retail hub. You're not going to get people selling jeans and women's high end.

Just come up with a new concept. They're not the first company to fail. Who cares?
My guess is that eventually the whole district will be like the live area. Bar district like Westport or Bourbon St, etc. You'll get very minimal retail along Main but people just aren't going to walk that area to shop for a pair of jeans or shoes. I think stopping the Garment District was the first realization of this by Cordish (even though people on here said it was wildly successful and would never be taken out when I suggested it). You get Midland and 4L done and then Strata will happen with the retail around it being gobbled up by amenities for it. It's a restaurant/bar area(.)
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Obviously they're waiting until they can demolish it and put residence or office above it. But we're not idiots.

I hate when companies are like oh we just can't find the right fit and the answer is like lol we're planning to wreck that.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Some crazy hypotheticals in here.

Hard to admit failure when there hasn’t been one. Who ever said PNL was supposed to be a retail shopping destination? Who made statements on this as part of the overall master development plan? It’s always been about creating a neighborhood and never has been about shopping. The tenant selection is based off serving the needs of downtown residents and existing businesses that bring traffic like the convention center. One or two retail clothing stores won’t be enough to eliminate the need for downtown residents to go to the plaza or town plaza. The most impactful retail option we could land is the urban target or similar. Maybe after getting a anchor retail tenant, downtown would see more clothing retail stores.

Everyone will start seeing more new tenant announcements than ever before over the next several months. Don’t expect to see “Kevin’s t-shirt shop” or “Genes Jeans” type retail spots.

PNL has always been about work, live, play. Not Shop, live, play or any version meant to indicate it would be the spot to go retail shopping.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:37 pm Obviously they're waiting until they can demolish it and put residence or office above it. But we're not idiots.

I hate when companies are like oh we just can't find the right fit and the answer is like lol we're planning to wreck that.
Why would they demolish something they built to support a tower above it?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Downtown has been awesome this weekend. Between Lizzo, the Bills/Chiefs game and P&L’s Cornocopia, Downtown has been the most active I’ve seen it since I’ve moved back

Ya love to see it
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:57 pm Downtown has been awesome this weekend. Between Lizzo, the Bills/Chiefs game and P&L’s Cornocopia, Downtown has been the most active I’ve seen it since I’ve moved back

Ya love to see it
What it’s supposed to be like right! Love to see it all come together and I have close friends who manage this. Victoria is a PNL employee who organized and managed cornucopia. She’s been working hard on this event for months. I think it has a ton of growth potential.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

It's was great weekend. Felt like a real city. I"d add the huge number of Bills fans to that list.

Plaza was hoping too.