Hawthorne Plaza

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Hawthorne Plaza

Post by chaglang »

I've driven by here a few times at night and almost every light in the place has been on. (They must be doing OT work on interior finishes) After seeing it dark for so many years, seeing it lit up is a surreal and wonderful sight.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Hard to believe no one on this forum has lost it over how they completely blocked the sidewalk with no alternate passage (or maybe I missed it). Can't say how many times I've almost plowed someone walking around that dumpster, and I'm aware and cautious. Which makes me even more surprised that someone hasn't been killed; at night or by a reckless driver. It's half a block from a busy bus stop. How does the city let this happen?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:49 am Hard to believe no one on this forum has lost it over how they completely blocked the sidewalk with no alternate passage (or maybe I missed it). Can't say how many times I've almost plowed someone walking around that dumpster, and I'm aware and cautious. Which makes me even more surprised that someone hasn't been killed; at night or by a reckless driver. It's half a block from a busy bus stop. How does the city let this happen?
I'm pretty sure the sidewalk has been blocked (or at least mostly blocked) for the better part of the past decade.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

IIRC when the sidewalk closure ordinance went into place, the city grandfathered all projects with existing permits. This might be that situation. Streetview shows scaffolding over that sidewalk back to 2015, but the sidewalk wasn't blocked as of the April, 2019 image.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »