Brookside

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Brookside

Post by flyingember »

I read the whole list and you have one thing you aren't focusing on.

It decreases the public enjoyment of a major community resource, the Trolley Track Trail by making it something you place behind a building.
It puts children on bikes near dumpsters and delivery vehicles.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Agreed, the routing is very poor at that location.
marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by marieantoinette »

You are absolutely right. Trail users should be encouraged to approach building FRONTAGES. Instead, this scheme pushes them to the "utility zone". And besides, shouldn't trails connect you TO commercial centers and not THROUGH commercial centers? I'd much rather spend money making Brookside Plaza the most wonderful bike-friendly street in the city between 62nd Terrace and Meyer.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

None of this is needed. Is it hard to find parking in that area, yes. Impossible, no. 6 spaces aren't going to help. None of the businesses in that area are hurting. Waste of resources. Back in parking on both sides of the street would probably go much farther to improve the area and would probably add parking spots without making it a parking lot.

The intersection with 63rd is a mess but everyone seams to figure it out. Seams like it keeps drivers from moving through the area to quickly.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Brookside Blvd between Border Star and the tennis courts should be eliminated. This would allow the 63rd st intersection to move more smoothly, give area for park space and events and allow for some additional parking when you make the shops area pedestrian only.
marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by marieantoinette »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:29 pm The intersection with 63rd is a mess but everyone seams to figure it out. Seams like it keeps drivers from moving through the area to quickly.
100%! Sometimes, messy is GOOD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wte5-_ ... e=youtu.be
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I'm not convinced that this messy is good - especially because it doesn't seem to slow cars coming through on 63rd.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

For messy to work, I think you need drivers to have an ingrained sense of respect and awareness for people outside of cars. I'm not convinced that is prevalent enough among KC drivers. We still need some combination of physical infrastructure and active enforcement to encourage good behavior.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chaglang wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:36 am I'm not convinced that this messy is good - especially because it doesn't seem to slow cars coming through on 63rd.
The messy area needs to expand.

Look at Armour Road in NKC. In retrospect had they put a substantial road diet all the way to I-35 it would have discouraged a lot more cars to not drive through town. Instead it became possible to argue for changes back because it only covered a small area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Messy where everything is mixed together and everyone slows way down accordingly is great; messy where cars try and plow through people/bikes/cars that are crossing at random is bad. This seems like the latter.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Couple BKS tidbits:
- Brookside Barkery is moving to the location on Oak & 63rd once occupied by Plate
- Have been told that Fiddly Fig is moving/closing (not sure which) and a restaurant will be occupying their spot on 63rd street
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:01 pm https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/d8 ... 879c42d93e

Plans now posted.
Woah, that realignment of BKSBLVD at Meyer. And the parking garage.

The vacation of the north section of BKSTERR and creation of a block-wide parking lot is still a poor solution.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Fiddly Fig is reportedly moving to the Red Bridge area. Any idea what the restaurant will be? Guessing a chain based on how the owner has managed other properties...
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The way the building looks, I would be willing to bet its something like a Meshuggah Bagels
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i can't imagine meshuggah will pay the rents that the owner wants for that space. i would guess it's something more like chipotle.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I don't think Chipotle would go in an older building like that.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:36 pm Brookside Blvd between Border Star and the tennis courts should be eliminated. This would allow the 63rd st intersection to move more smoothly, give area for park space and events and allow for some additional parking when you make the shops area pedestrian only.
Studies indicate that passenger car traffic prefers Meyer Boulevard to 63d Street (and that was both how it was intended and how it has been in practice for nearly 100 years). If the city terminates Brookside Boulevard at 63d, we would lose an important Boulevard-to-Boulevard connection.

Sixty-third street is commercial, with significant truck and delivery traffic (and the proposed re-design will not change that fact). The boulevards are designed to whisk citizens in passenger cars throughout the city, and with some degree of beauty. This was understood by the 1990s redesign at its other terminus at Volker Blvd, where Brookside Blvd gained an alignment to Main Street and the eventual streetcar expansion.

62d Terrace would be a good target for additional on-street parking, its oversized width is an (original) streetcar legacy, just like 43d Street used to be.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:44 am The way the building looks, I would be willing to bet its something like a Meshuggah Bagels
Funny you should mention that. I was talking to someone at Meshuggah a month or two ago and they said they were extremely close to signing a lease in Brookside, but then the One Light opportunity opened up for them and they went that direction. They said that at the time they had no plans for further expansion.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:46 pm Studies indicate that passenger car traffic prefers Meyer Boulevard to 63d Street (and that was both how it was intended and how it has been in practice for nearly 100 years). If the city terminates Brookside Boulevard at 63d, we would lose an important boulevard to boulevard connection.
People choose Meyer because it’s wider and you can fly. Actually, most traffic is on Meyer for just one block coming from Wornall to Brookside Blvd or from Ward Pkwy. There’s not much traffic east of Brookside Blvd. Eliminating Brookside Blvd between Meyer and 63rd would allow for a very nice park, new activity options, or more shops facing the park where the parking is now. I don’t think you lose anything significant traffic wise.