Brookside

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Brookside

Post by chrizow »

checked out Bacaro Primo for lunch today. very solid addition to the neighborhood. for lunch they have some small plates/apps, a couple salads, pizzas, and sandwiches. for dinner it looks like they add a handful of entrees. wine and cocktail list looks good. we didnt try the charcuterie but plan to next time. the space looks nice--not unlike Earl's it has a narrow, cozy bar and also some counter-seating behind the bar overlooking the charcuterie prep area, and a small (for KC) but nice dining room.

also hearing that aixois is turning the events/overflow room on the north side into a "lounge"--if true, this would be nice and continue to add vibrancy to the shops. if underdog opens the wine bar they've been talking about on the Oak side of the shops, this would solidify the Shops into a neighborhood dining/drinking hub.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Heard that the UDog wine bar is a done deal. Would love to see a more active use of the north part of Aixois. Maybe they could also make some menu updates?

Checking out Bacaro Primo for lunch Saturday. Looking forward to it. With the opening of the french custard place on 59th, the Trolley Trail has developed into a pretty good food corridor.
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

If we could get a brewery or something similar into the old Children's Place/Wolferman's at 59th St, I'll hardly ever need to leave the neighborhood! Just kidding, I'd still go to the Crossroads...
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

In other, less exciting news, Chase is replacing the old Bank of America in Brookside.

It also appears they are clearing out the Panera space too, not sure what the plan might be….searching compass I found a permit pulled https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo and the POC was listed as meddys.com. Looks like they are largely in Wichita with one location in PV.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

hartliss wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:28 am In other, less exciting news, Chase is replacing the old Bank of America in Brookside.

It also appears they are clearing out the Panera space too, not sure what the plan might be….searching compass I found a permit pulled https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b=moreinfo and the POC was listed as meddys.com. Looks like they are largely in Wichita with one location in PV.
Meddys it is, sign was up today. Anyone ever been?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

hartliss wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:53 am
hartliss wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:28 am In other, less exciting news, Chase is replacing the old Bank of America in Brookside.

Meddys it is, sign was up today. Anyone ever been?
I go to a couple in Wichita often. Good fast casual Mediterranean food and bar. Great outdoor seating areas at the ones I've been to.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

looks like the space directly next to Earl's is vacant...any word re: possible tenants? would love to maybe see the earl's folks open something in there (not an expansion of earl's itself though, the intimacy of the space is a big part of the appeal in my opinion)...
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

It's an Abnos property. You would have to be a fool or Earl to locate there.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

https://59thandholmes.com/

The lots across from Earl's are for sale, $200K each. i like all the renderings and plans--other than the suggestion to "Pave over as a parking lot, Earls Premier and the shopping center across Holmes street have exceeded the neighborhood parking demands." :shock:
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

What chances for success do you think a zone change would have? If it could be upzoned to R-1.5 you could probably fit 2 colannades on the site.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

2 colonnades would be great...or retail on the bottom with housing above. maybe i'm cynical but i think the neighbors would pretty strongly resist zoning changes, complaining of added density ("traffic") in that location. i suspect the immediate neighbors are already annoyed with "Earl's traffic."
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Friday and Saturday it gets pretty packed, but I find that to be better than a parking lot. in 5 years when Earls is gone we will be stuck with a weed infested lot.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

chrizow wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:53 pm looks like the space directly next to Earl's is vacant...any word re: possible tenants? would love to maybe see the earl's folks open something in there (not an expansion of earl's itself though, the intimacy of the space is a big part of the appeal in my opinion)...
Todd has that space and uses it for storage for both restaurants.