Woodside Health Expansion in Westwood

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Mossby
Can't Start New Threads
Can't Start New Threads

Re: Woodside Health Expansion in Westwood

Post by Mossby »

Pretty comprehensive write up about the project and its approval process.

http://lucaswetzel.com/2012/01/29/see-y ... e-village/
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

eclair wrote:As someone who lives two blocks north of this development, I could not be more thrilled. This part of Rainbow needs development and the location is ideal, being just west of the plaza and south of 39th street. There are already lots of Woodside members that come to this part of the city from all over the metro to patronize the club. Now they will have more places to shop, eat, etc. I hope that the area will feel revitalized an urbanized. Walkability scale of my neighborhood should vastly improve. :)
Whoa, eclair!? Welcome back.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I honestly don't see the numbers working for the luxury apartments. The 39 Rainbow development was originally proposed to have apartments and that was scrapped .... and it is in a better location than Woodside. KCMO gets all the luxury apartment development in this particular area because their tax incentives are better than what KS municipalities can offer the same developers. Membership included to the woodside health club is a unique benefit and may be that makes the diff. It is also said that the developer owns 2 adjacent acres on the Kansas City, KS side that is earmarked for a future expansion of the woodside development.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

justin8216 wrote:I honestly don't see the numbers working for the luxury apartments. The 39 Rainbow development was originally proposed to have apartments and that was scrapped .... and it is in a better location than Woodside. KCMO gets all the luxury apartment development in this particular area because their tax incentives are better than what KS municipalities can offer the same developers. Membership included to the woodside health club is a unique benefit and may be that makes the diff. It is also said that the developer owns 2 adjacent acres on the Kansas City, KS side that is earmarked for a future expansion of the woodside development.
I don't think the 39 Rainbow is a better location. Maybe if this was truly a walkable community (since there is pretty much nothing within walking distance), but in this auto-oriented city, I would think being in Johnson County, in the Westwood area, minutes from the Plaza by car is a much better location than the "grittier" area around Rainbow and 39th.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCMax wrote:
justin8216 wrote:I honestly don't see the numbers working for the luxury apartments. The 39 Rainbow development was originally proposed to have apartments and that was scrapped .... and it is in a better location than Woodside. KCMO gets all the luxury apartment development in this particular area because their tax incentives are better than what KS municipalities can offer the same developers. Membership included to the woodside health club is a unique benefit and may be that makes the diff. It is also said that the developer owns 2 adjacent acres on the Kansas City, KS side that is earmarked for a future expansion of the woodside development.
I don't think the 39 Rainbow is a better location. Maybe if this was truly a walkable community (since there is pretty much nothing within walking distance), but in this auto-oriented city, I would think being in Johnson County, in the Westwood area, minutes from the Plaza by car is a much better location than the "grittier" area around Rainbow and 39th.
Yep, big difference between the areas, though they are so close. These wouldn't be for people who want to walk to 39th for dinner.
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

Whoa, eclair!? Welcome back.
[/quote]
Thanks! I check in now and again ;-)

Any updates on the Woodside expansion? I heard around the neighborhood that they are having trouble getting financing to move forward. That would be a shame.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Can't wait for this project to get going! Between this, the WalMart Neighborhood market down the street and the new resto across from OK Joe's, this neglected part of the area will get some much-needed infusion of services and residents.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

http://fox4kc.com/2013/01/15/westwood-k ... to-expand/

I liked how they're adding properties to the tax rolls and adding density to an existing suburb
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

any news on this project? I think the Woodside renovation and adjoining mixed-use development will be incredible for both Westwood and the West Plaza neighborhoods; it's a great looking project all around if it is built as shown.

It sounds like Taco Republic is nearing an opening on 47th, and the 39/Rainbow development continues to move forward, but haven't heard much about this since it received approval in January. Along with continued expansion at KU Med and some interesting new homes along Rainbow, these areas are really starting to show some energy.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

any news on this project? I think the Woodside renovation and adjoining mixed-use development will be incredible for both Westwood and the West Plaza neighborhoods; it's a great looking project all around if it is built as shown.

It sounds like Taco Republic is nearing an opening on 47th, and the 39/Rainbow development continues to move forward, but haven't heard much about this since it received approval in January. Along with continued expansion at KU Med and some interesting new homes along Rainbow, these areas are really starting to show some energy.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

There's a bunch of construction going on at Woodside, but it's not clear if it's related to this project.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Port Fonda owner Patrick Ryan plans new Westwood restaurant
Ryan’s The Town Co. is scheduled to open in fall 2014 in the new Woodside Village mixed-use center planned for 47th Place and Rainbow Boulevard in Westwood. The center also will include a GreenAcres Market.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

interesting. the town co. concept actually predates port fonda. they were shopping it around, but it didn't take off for whatever reason. i suppose, with the popularity and press of port fonda, investors have now stepped up to the plate for the town co., which is awesome.

i don't know if the concept is the same as it was when they were developing it a few years ago, but back then it was a farm-to-table, wood-fired, rustic food sort of thing, at an approachable price point.

the woodside village location is an interesting choice. this seems more like a midtown/east crossroads type joint, or hell, why not pioneer indep ave or columbus park for finer dining. i am sure part of the appeal is that it's easier to build-out a restaurant in a newer space vs. a 110-year old building with sub-par systems. but westwood doesn't seem to fit the "edgy" m.o. of port fonda.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't think that Taco Joint across from OK Joes will be built. I hear they are having a lot of problems with leaking gas tanks
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I don't think that Taco Joint across from OK Joes will be built. I hear they are having a lot of problems with leaking gas tanks
That might be why they are so delayed, but they're done with excavation now and working on the building in earnest now. They might even get it done with a little bit of patio weather left.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.