Woodside Health Expansion in Westwood

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Woodside Health Expansion in Westwood

Post by Eon Blue »

Drove by here today. It's coming along nicely, but the street level experience along Rainbow is awful.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Eon Blue wrote:Drove by here today. It's coming along nicely, but the street level experience along Rainbow is awful.
My thoughts exactly when I wait at that 47th St. signal. Dreadful for any peds on Rainbow. I am vacationing this very moment on Michigan Ave in Chicago. There are lots of examples of despondent street experiences here, but never on Michigan Ave. They get the buildings mostly right when they have to cater to the pedestrian. Many of the residential towers are the worst.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Bread & Butter Concepts pulls it's Italian restaurant out of the development. http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 47772.html
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I have heard that Woodside has an expensive per month pet rent. Have a friend who would like to live there (needs to live in KS for tax purposes but wants to be as close to the city as possible) but balked at what I am told is a several hundred dollar per month pet fee. Eghad.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

This might be a symbol of the care taken in the overall construction of the place. There are always concerns that urban trees don't live very long. Here is the perfect example why. They are planting everything in gravel and construction debris. It is hilarious. You can see in the photo the pile of gravel on the paving...that is the material they dug out to plant the boxwoods. These plants/trees will look terrible and constantly need replacement for the life of the project due to poor planting. What a joke. They topdress it with mulch and no one is the wiser.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

As Woodside developer overcomes challenges, it readies for next phase

Photo slideshow

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... j=86475241
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

FangKC wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:42 am As Woodside developer overcomes challenges, it readies for next phase

Photo slideshow

Anything exciting for those of us who don't pay for the KC Business Journal?
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

empires228 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:53 pm
FangKC wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:42 am As Woodside developer overcomes challenges, it readies for next phase

Photo slideshow

Anything exciting for those of us who don't pay for the KC Business Journal?
Not really

Gearing up for a second phase
One highlight of the second phase is 1.7 acres of green space and a 50,000-square-foot expansion of Woodside Health Club.

It includes demolishing existing tennis courts and replacing surface parking with a subterranean parking structure. The project will add eight new tennis courts, four inside and four outside, as well as a four-lane lap pool. Other new features will include expanded group fitness studios, a day spa with eight treatment rooms, locker rooms and dedicated quiet areas. There also will be a boutique that sells items such as athletic apparel, yoga mats and tennis racquets. Phase 2 also adds a wellness center, which will focus on progressive alternative health care.

The club expansion will start first, followed by the addition of apartments and retail. A third phase, still being designed, will include 2.2 acres. When it's all said and done, Tanner & White will have invested about $170 million.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

New apartments to be proposed across from Rainbow Car Wash. Block and Tanner & White plan to present the project to county commissioners in late May or early June.
Woodside Rosedale, a 171-unit apartment community on the east side of Rainbow between 46th and 47th. It will include a mix of studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom options ranging from 500 to 1,400 square feet, each either with a private balcony or patio.
The complex will reflect a similar layout to Woodside Village North. Amenities include a hotel boutique-inspired lobby, coworking spaces, bike storage and workstations, in addition to a pet cleaning/grooming area.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... tment.html
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

The proposed expansion was denied it's variance but approved for change of zone. Neighborhood in fierce opposition, despite the conformance to the master plan that was widely cited as a reason for denial.

If it isn't KC Tenants shooting down development, it's neighborhoods. You can't say you want to live in a dense, walkable, affordable (kinda), and upcoming neighborhood or corridor, and then shoot down every single development proposal because of small inconveniences.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:39 pm The proposed expansion was denied it's variance but approved for change of zone. Neighborhood in fierce opposition, despite the conformance to the master plan that was widely cited as a reason for denial.

If it isn't KC Tenants shooting down development, it's neighborhoods. You can't say you want to live in a dense, walkable, affordable (kinda), and upcoming neighborhood or corridor, and then shoot down every single development proposal because of small inconveniences.
Sounds like that Woodside gym is the hot place to be. My bother goes on and on about wanting to buy a membership there. I'm like dude... that would be 12-15% of your monthly rent. Stick to planet fitness bro.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Apparently. I don't see the appeal. I am flabbergasted that this was shot down.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Woodside expansion once again, held over. Remanded back to City Planning Commission in January.

The gift that keeps on giving.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Change of Zone / Preliminary Development Plan finally approved. Expect the Final Development Plan soon.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:59 pm Change of Zone / Preliminary Development Plan finally approved. Expect the Final Development Plan soon.
Some more details from KCBJ. I really like the walk up units pictured here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... anner.html
Developers Block Real Estate Services LLC and Tanner & White Properties Inc. reduced the unit count to 149 from 171 and cut the height of the building by one level from what was proposed in May. The building now will stand seven stories along Rainbow and stair step down to five along 46th Avenue.
No timeline for development mentioned:
The developers remain unsure whether they will request incentives because they are finalizing a contractor and other companies they want to work with.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Since renderings of the full project have never been posted here, I decided to post these. These are the most recent renderings (the ones I have in a packet show a project with an additional floor in the taller and shorter part). In case people weren't aware, Hufft designed this project. That is the same architect behind the Main and Armour project.
https://www.rosedale.woodsidevillage.com
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Hopefully they use a better builder this time around
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:09 pm Hopefully they use a better builder this time around
I recommend sloping the balconies away from the building this time around.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This to me seems like a win for that KCK neighborhood. Actually serves as a barrier of the traffic noise from Rainbow. Spring Valley is an interesting little neighborhood that feels more like Westwood JoCo or Westwood neighborhood KCMO.