Overland Park could raise property taxes 46%

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Overland Park could raise property taxes 46%

Post by KCMax »

City endorses 46 percent property tax hike
The council will make the final decision next month when it approves the 2012 city budget.

But for now it appears City Manager Bill Ebel has succeeded in convincing elected officials that the city needs the money so it won?t have to lay off more employees and won?t have to cut back more services - especially street maintenance, which is on the chopping block.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Overland Park could raise property taxes 46%

Post by mean »

Gotta love the comment.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

:shock:

WHOA!
studentper
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by studentper »

"Overall, of course, the city’s portion of a homeowner’s property tax bill isn’t that big. In fact, Overland Park has and still would have the lowest levy of any Johnson County city, even with the increase."

An extra $100 per year on a $200,000 house, which is about a 4% increase in overall property taxes.  I'm fine with it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

studentper wrote: "Overall, of course, the city’s portion of a homeowner’s property tax bill isn’t that big. In fact, Overland Park has and still would have the lowest levy of any Johnson County city, even with the increase."

An extra $100 per year on a $200,000 house, which is about a 4% increase in overall property taxes.  I'm fine with it.
So what is the property tax now in Johnson County for a $200,000 house.  Here in Houston, where there is no state tax, I pay $12,000 per year for a $285,000  which really seems excessive....I'd like to compare. 
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Highlander wrote: So what is the property tax now in Johnson County for a $200,000 house.  Here in Houston, where there is no state tax, I pay $12,000 per year for a $285,000  which really seems excessive....I'd like to compare.   
I talked to my parents about it tonight on the phone and they said theirs was approximately $2,400. Their house was appraised at $202K. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

How much of that is city tax and how much is school tax?  Would believe the school tax is a big portion of that bill.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

100 dls per a 200K house  seems pretty reasonable but then why does 46% increase sounds that bad? Or are they increasing also property taxes on cars and commercial real state? Is the increase on those higher than on a home?
studentper
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by studentper »

ThaMexican wrote: 100 dls per a 200K house  seems pretty reasonable but then why does 46% increase sounds that bad? Or are they increasing also property taxes on cars and commercial real state? Is the increase on those higher than on a home?
The city's property tax is less than 10 percent of the total property tax levied on a house, so a 46% increase in the city's portion isn't huge.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
rokhok
Pad site
Pad site

Post by rokhok »

studentper wrote: The city's property tax is less than 10 percent of the total property tax levied on a house, so a 46% increase in the city's portion isn't huge.
This is a great example of how statistics and figures can be used to mislead.  In the current "any tax increase is evil" mode the country is in, the papers run with a 46% increase in city property taxes in the headline and bury the fact that is is on average another $100 a year in the article.  More people than should, read only the headline and have the wrong impression about what is going on...
LyndeyT
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by LyndeyT »

I really hate the media and the opposing party when they use statistics like that. A 46% increase in property taxes could be great in many cities and states. But here it sounds like it went up 0.5% or so according to the $100 increase on a $200,000 house. I see these type of statistics all the time used by politicians on both sides and it just makes me so mad. Usually I see it when mentioning a rise in some type of disease. Rather than 1 in millions having it, it's risen 100% and now 2 in a million have the disease.
Lyndey - which of the moving companies did you use to move here?