Make Grand Grand

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Make Grand Grand

Post by FangKC »

cdm2p wrote:I would not put any value in designers' ideas of the type of development that could happen on grand. They are mental masturbations.
last I checked, there is no one waiting in the wings to build any kind of building on grand.
Umm, there is a plan to build a new YMCA downtown. It could possibly end up on Grand.
Big downtown YMCA proposed

Kansas City Star, The (MO) - Thursday, December 15, 2011
Author: KEVIN COLLISON, The Kansas City Star

Five possible locations have been identified: property across from UMB Bank near 10th Street and Grand Boulevard; a site controlled by DST Realty near 11th Street and Wyandotte Avenue; property controlled by Union Station on the north side of Washington Park; the Truman Medical Center at 23rd and McGee streets; and the East Village redevelopment area east of Ilus W. Davis Park.
In addition, in just the past few years, we have built the P&L District fronting Grand, the Basketball Experience Museum on Grand, and the Sprint Center fronting Grand. A new hotel is slated to open soon in the former Gate City National Bank Building at 1111 Grand--the Ambassador Hotel Kansas City.

http://ambassadorkc.com/

Another hotel is planned for the former Federal Reserve Bank at 10th and Grand. New apartments have gone into 1006 Grand, the former Federal Courthouse at 9th and Grand, and the Professional Building at 11th and Grand. Several buildings were turned into housing around the former Western Auto Building on Grand. The Cashew opened on Grand. A new Aquarium and Legoland is opening along Grand in the next year. 2555 Grand in Crown Center was completed in 2003.

There has been plenty of activity along Grand that merits consideration of upgrading it into a true boulevard.
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

Given the players involved, I'd say Grand is not an option.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Ambitious ideas to ‘Make Grand Grand’
The vision outlined in the Grand Boulevard Streetscape Plan divides the 2½-mile stretch linking Crown Center with the River Market into four segments: the Crown Center district, the Crossroads District, the area within the Downtown Loop, and the River Market District.

For the most part, the proposal divides the current 100-foot right-of-way that much of Grand occupies into multiple zones. On the far east side would be a 14-foot-wide sidewalk bordering an 8-foot band of landscaping along the curb. There would be three lanes devoted to traffic in the center.

On the far west side would be a 20-foot-wide sidewalk bordering a 15-foot-wide bicycle lane and then another 8-foot band of landscaping along the curb.

The plan also includes small pocket parks at 18th and 20th streets, and another pocket south of the viaduct over the freeway leading to the River Market. That particular site is now a gravel lot atop a limestone outcropping and is envisioned as a new urban park with a dog park and overlook. It’s right across Eighth Street from the newly renovated Courthouse Lofts project in the old U.S. Courthouse at 811 Grand..
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i had heard this project imploded, but i guess not. we'll see if they get any funding. even though this is a parks deal, they get most of their money from the same source.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I was wondering where they would get funding for this from the get go. I hope they can find something b/c this would be an awesome change for this street...any ideas of where funding could potentially come from?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the claim that it won't compete with the streetcar is dubious, since the streetcar is a top priority and is gunning for just about every funding source the city has access to (citywide PIAC, TDD, TIF, KCATA capital, TIGER, TIFIA, CMAQ, private sponsorships... even the general fund will probably pay the city's share of the TDD levies).

i suppose they could target in-district PIAC...
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

now that i think about it, i remember one of the council members talking about how they wanted to change the way PIAC funds were allocated so they could potentially take on larger projects b/c (they felt) the funds weren't being spent usefully in their current form. I'm sure that would cause quite a ruckus, but i think it would be worth it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

true. PIAC is not transparent enough and project selection is purely political. indeed it would be a big fight, but one we need to have to adequately address our failing infrastructure.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think it's a worthy investment. If you create a streetscape that is attractive--as say W. 47th Street in the Plaza, I believe that companies will see downtown improving enough so that they will consider locating there, and development along Grand will increase. This, along with the streetcar line, will make that artery more attractive for employers and housing developers. I also think the new YMCA downtown will add a welcome amenity that provides employers a way to improve the health of their employees, and reduce their health care insurance expenditures.

I don't know if there is support for increasing CID funding of Grand Blvd. improvements--especially if the streetcar line comes from that type of funding. I imagine it will eventually come from the City's infastructure, streets, and parks and recreation budgets.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I can not imagine the push back on this plan, from city traffic engineers. It will make them apopleptic.

"How will you move 27,314 cars per day out of downtown at 29mph average with this kind of madness!!!!"
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

"Huh? Oh, cars? Haha! Cars are soooo 20th century..."

* Kicks traffic engineer in the balls.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

No strong support from the star. And they are a major property owner.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Star stopped being pro-city after William Rockhill Nelson died. :D
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Nothing new in this editorial...but here it is.
The new “Make Grand Grand” streetscaping report prepared by architects and transit planners contains a number of “green” proposals to make the roadway more attractive. Plans call for more trees and landscaping and a couple of pocket parks, plus new bike lanes and wider sidewalks to attract bicyclists and pedestrians. The number of vehicle lanes would be reduced.

But as the plan moves on, everyone also ought to be realistic about challenges to upgrading the boulevard, which has been The Star’s home for 101 years.

For “Make Grand Grand” to succeed, plenty of collaboration will be needed by property owners, landscape architects, traffic engineers and other city officials.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/28/33 ... rylink=cpy
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

But as the plan moves on, everyone also ought to be realistic about challenges to upgrading the boulevard, which has been The Star’s home for 101 years.
:-k
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

challenges? like...?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Paying for it?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

DaveKCMO wrote:challenges? like...?
"Making these upgrades without upsetting my parking spot at the Star."
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

And that. I mean, think of the gravel lots! What would become of the gravel lots if that land actually became valuable? I'm starting a group called Save Our Gravel...
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DaveKCMO wrote:challenges? like...?
To be serious one would be paying for it. A second would be getting enough support to make the changes. It is quite possible that this initial plan will not be implemented as is so a third challenge would be to get a compromise plan that people can agree on.