Make Grand Grand

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Make Grand Grand

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:51 am It’s never gonna work unless they do the actual design with the paint, trees, protected barriers, etc.
Yep. Paint alone just does not work. Especially in a city like KC where basic maintenance of even the pavement and pavement markings is pretty bad and it will look terrible in a year or two.

DC is upgrading all their marked bike lanes with physically separated bike lanes and cycle paths. It can't happen soon enough.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Downtown needs to be designated some sort of district where every street has traffic calming. If you wanna drive your fast car, go somewhere else in this sprawling metro
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:38 pm Downtown needs to be designated some sort of district where every street has traffic calming. If you wanna drive your fast car, go somewhere else in this sprawling metro
Stop light, sound, or speeding cameras that auto ticket are some of the best ways to tackle this considering the police don’t have an interest in doing it themselves.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:48 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:38 pm Downtown needs to be designated some sort of district where every street has traffic calming. If you wanna drive your fast car, go somewhere else in this sprawling metro
Stop light, sound, or speeding cameras that auto ticket are some of the best ways to tackle this considering the police don’t have an interest in doing it themselves.
That would help, but I think the fundamental issue is that streets that look like race tracks will be used as race tracks, and right now Grand looks like a nascar speedway
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:52 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:48 pm
That would help, but I think the fundamental issue is that streets that look like race tracks will be used as race tracks, and right now Grand looks like a nascar speedway
Agreed
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Let's not go with the big brother ticket cameras please. While not illegal, they're basically a violation of ones rights in some capacities.

Not making it look like a race track and adding some large, moveable planters would be a good attempt.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:19 pm Let's not go with the big brother ticket cameras please. While not illegal, they're basically a violation of ones rights in some capacities.

Not making it look like a race track and adding some large, moveable planters would be a good attempt.
Downtown KC already has plate readers, security cameras, and I believe shot spotters.

Take a look at STL for some real big brother policing………..
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The government tracks a lot of other things we do anyways. Red light/speeding cameras should be the least of our privacy concerns.

But I agree that there are alternative methods to slowing traffic down and making it safer for everyone. It all costs money and it takes a willingness on the city's part to want to spend that money.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:17 am
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:07 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:22 pm Image
Went through here on a bike this weekend and literally EVERY parked car was in the bike lane.
Yep -- It's a foreign concept to midwest drivers. Not shocked the city just did something without any attempt to educate the public.
Definitely expecting signs but it's not completely foreign we have them on Armour.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:22 pm The government tracks a lot of other things we do anyways. Red light/speeding cameras should be the least of our privacy concerns.

But I agree that there are alternative methods to slowing traffic down and making it safer for everyone. It all costs money and it takes a willingness on the city's part to want to spend that money.
Not a privacy concern, we haven't had privacy for years. It's just unethical to automate the ticketing process on something like a moving violation. And the MO supreme court shot down the idea unless you're going to go through some other policing methods to ensure the right person is being ticketed.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:03 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:22 pm The government tracks a lot of other things we do anyways. Red light/speeding cameras should be the least of our privacy concerns.

Not a privacy concern, we haven't had privacy for years. It's just unethical to automate the ticketing process on something like a moving violation. And the MO supreme court shot down the idea unless you're going to go through some other policing methods to ensure the right person is being ticketed.
I don’t see an inherent need for all violations to be tied to driver instead of vehicles (aside from cases of theft). Your car speeds, you pay.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So how do we get the protected lanes, tree's & paint going for this project
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Frustrating to see such unforced errors like the stripe being wrong so they had to mill it down and relay it and rebuilding the ramps so now had to cur into the brand new striped crosswalks. On top of that no signage about floating bike lane parking or anything marking the concrete half circles like paint or a sign.

Now the P&L block is striped with paint which will be gone in 12 months. I assume that other striping material doesn't work well with concrete?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:31 pm Frustrating to see such unforced errors like the stripe being wrong so they had to mill it down and relay it and rebuilding the ramps so now had to cur into the brand new striped crosswalks. On top of that no signage about floating bike lane parking or anything marking the concrete half circles like paint or a sign.

Now the P&L block is striped with paint which will be gone in 12 months. I assume that other striping material doesn't work well with concrete?
They'll touch them up before B12. Let's see if anyone starts parking correctly by that point?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I just find the paint so wasteful having to be restriped so often.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:07 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:22 pm Image
Went through here on a bike this weekend and literally EVERY parked car was in the bike lane.
Having all the meters there doesn't help. It's a terrible layout. I won't blame a single person for thinking they're allowed to park streetside.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:42 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:31 pm Frustrating to see such unforced errors like the stripe being wrong so they had to mill it down and relay it and rebuilding the ramps so now had to cur into the brand new striped crosswalks. On top of that no signage about floating bike lane parking or anything marking the concrete half circles like paint or a sign.

They'll touch them up before B12. Let's see if anyone starts parking correctly by that point?
Speaking of which, I'm gonna be excited to see what they did with the tournament in March 2024 when it's 14 teams. Maybe have to start the tournament on a Tuesday then?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I'm stunned people can't figure this out.

mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

I'm stunned that the city expects people to figure it out... it's a mess
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

How is it hard to figure out? The paint will help. Bollards should be there too