Make Grand Grand

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Make Grand Grand

Post by GRID »

wow, I've seen a car parked on a bike lane before, be never anything like that.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

There's no consistency to bike lanes throughout the city. And as far as I'm aware this is a new concept to people
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Again, without the paint and barriers, you may as well do nothing
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Here’s Brian Platt’s response to the parking on the Grand lanes

He says they’re not completed yet

https://twitter.com/briandavidplatt/sta ... IBQbXkqUAA
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I think it was pretty clear it wasn't done yet but it's still funny nobody figured it out. I actually saw one car parked correctly today.
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:25 pm There's no consistency to bike lanes throughout the city. And as far as I'm aware this is a new concept to people
Consistency is definitely a challenge even on the same street but these have existed on Armour for awhile.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:03 pm Yeah I think it was pretty clear it wasn't done yet but it's still funny nobody figured it out. I actually saw one car parked correctly today.
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:25 pm There's no consistency to bike lanes throughout the city. And as far as I'm aware this is a new concept to people
Consistency is definitely a challenge even on the same street but these have existed on Armour for awhile.
What did the car look like? Maybe it was me because I parked correctly for the hour I was downtown today! People looked at me like I was crazy yet they're the dumb dumbs that can't read basic paint.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Might work if little yellow posts separated the bike lanes from parking lanes but the bigger original mistake was putting a bike lane down a downtown street that has over a dozen bus lines. 100% WTF. Could only work if bike lanes are physically isolated but even then Walnut the better choice.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

earthling wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:32 pm Might work if little yellow posts separated the bike lanes from parking lanes but the bigger original mistake was putting a bike lane down a downtown street that has over a dozen bus lines. 100% WTF. Could only work if bike lanes are physically isolated but even then Walnut the better choice.
Personally, I would almost never use these new bikes lanes on Grand. They're a disaster waiting to happen. It's not going to be long until someone gets run over.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

im2kull wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:36 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:32 pm Might work if little yellow posts separated the bike lanes from parking lanes but the bigger original mistake was putting a bike lane down a downtown street that has over a dozen bus lines. 100% WTF. Could only work if bike lanes are physically isolated but even then Walnut the better choice.
Personally, I would almost never use these new bikes lanes on Grand. They're a disaster waiting to happen. It's not going to be long until someone gets run over.
I'd be happy with zero bike lanes, but I get it and will park accordingly!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I'd just move the bike lane off grand maybe the crossroads cycle track will change my mind though
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:00 pm Yeah I'd just move the bike lane off grand maybe the crossroads cycle track will change my mind though
I'm starting to have my doubts that they accomplish the cycle track extension up to 12th this year since they haven't done any work yet. But once it's up and running, catch ya later Grand- especially SOT since they still won't repaint it.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Without markings most people will default to what they know, park close to the curb. Plus with parking meters at the curb people will be drawn to that spot, again because it is what they know. Paint & markings will help for sure. Heck move the meters over as well
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

These items are coming so this is just a temp problem. Moving on.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:05 am These items are coming so this is just a temp problem. Moving on.
Human beings inability to pay attention to even the most basic forms of instruction is not a temporary problem. Lol
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well yeah no doubt there. Given that we should have expected this the whole time.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Good design anticipates human error and bad design doesn’t
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:05 am These items are coming so this is just a temp problem. Moving on.
What "items". They don't need more freaking signs. Just people with brains.

Buy yea, doing this just blocks at a time on top of barley maintaining them once installed and nobody is going to take them seriously. Including cyclists.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

GRID wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:06 am

Buy yea, doing this just blocks at a time on top of barley maintaining them once installed and nobody is going to take them seriously. Including cyclists.
Ballards separating the parking lane from the bike lane.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:18 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:06 am

Ballards separating the parking lane from the bike lane.
Physically separate bike lanes are always best. But you still don't just see a row of cars parked on a bike like like that. Lots of cities have bike lanes between the curb and parking spots and I have never seen that everybody just ignore the bike lane like that. People have to have some common sense.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We are just dumb hicks