Beacon Hill

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Beacon Hill

Post by FangKC »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:Lots of work happening on both sides of the 2400 block of Troost.

We know the west side is the UMKC housing, but do we know for sure about the east? More townhouses/SFH for Beacon Hill?

The east side of Troost are the student apartments. The west side of Troost is going to be the grocery store.
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

There are also some new houses going in around 25th and Tracy.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

FangKC wrote:
KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
The east side of Troost are the student apartments. The west side of Troost is going to be the grocery store.
The last Biz Journal article says 27th and Troost for the grocery store. Also, completion expected in 2017 (could it take 4 years to build??)
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

What's going on at the NE corner of 22 & Gillham? There's a lot of dirt and sand being moved around on that lot.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chaglang wrote:What's going on at the NE corner of 22 & Gillham? There's a lot of dirt and sand being moved around on that lot.
Gillham ends at 23rd and that isn't even part of Beacon Hill. Beacon Hill is East of Troost.

Where do you mean?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I think he means 22nd & Oak, after Gillham transitions along the east side of Crown Center. I've noticed the same fill activity.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's miscategorized, but I was too lazy to start a new thread just for a pile of dirt.

It's on the north side of 22 from the NW corner of the CMH campus.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Rode by 27th and Troost this morning. The lot on the NE corner has been graded and a cluster of trees planted. Might be something connected to the MAX stop there.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Construction is well underway for the UMKC Hospital Hill/Beacon Hill Student Apartments at 2401 Troost. This is a large four story building which will run from 24th all the way to 'Beacon Lane, facing Troost with interior courtyards on the alley side. You can see the retaining walls and footings underway now. This building will rise quickly and change the scale of the neighborhood considerably. Also the housing on Tracy is just the beginning, the word is that most of the lots around that pocket park are sold and you should see a considerable amount of construction in this area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Are the student apartments a Gould Evans project?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

chaglang wrote:Are the student apartments a Gould Evans project?
Yes, it is.
My inside source tells me that UMKC was interested in (and had the budget for) reproducing what they got with Oak Place apartments. Not an exact replica, but the finishes will be of a similar caliber.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Critical, that is only partially true. Sources tell me that the overall product will be a major improvement over Oak Place, in terms of design and finish - although the actual units themselves will be similar to Oak Place. The exterior of the building and the overall relationship to the urban environment will be much denser and considerate - and the style will not be as over simplified.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

voltopt wrote:Critical, that is only partially true. Sources tell me that the overall product will be a major improvement over Oak Place, in terms of design and finish - although the actual units themselves will be similar to Oak Place. The exterior of the building and the overall relationship to the urban environment will be much denser and considerate - and the style will not be as over simplified.
Good to hear... I trust your sources are more recent and accurate. I must have divulged older info as I haven't discussed this project in quite a while with my source. ;-)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

from the article:
Additional plans call for reconstruction of Troost from 22nd to 30th streets.
Has anyone seen designs for the reconstruction of Troost?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FangKC wrote:from the article:
From talking to a guy working on the project, it sounds like a road diet. Going from 5 lanes to 2, bumpouts at the curb with native plantings, planted median in some places, widened sidewalks, and so on. The goal is to do more of this as they tear up Troost for the sewer project and eventually connect up with the similar work they're doing at Cleaver & Troost. It may be included in the Troost Corridor Study that MARC is releasing in a week or so.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

There is so much happening around the city it is difficult to keep up! :D
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote:
FangKC wrote:from the article:
From talking to a guy working on the project, it sounds like a road diet. Going from 5 lanes to 2, bumpouts at the curb with native plantings, planted median in some places, widened sidewalks, and so on. The goal is to do more of this as they tear up Troost for the sewer project and eventually connect up with the similar work they're doing at Cleaver & Troost. It may be included in the Troost Corridor Study that MARC is releasing in a week or so.
I really, really, really wish someone in this city was visionary enough to make Troost a bike/ped/transit-only street from 24th to 63rd.

There's alot of good bones still, as most people here and few people outside of this milieu know. There is also no business community along Troost to stop it or howl too loud about OMG!!!!PARKING!!!! It would demonstrate a real commitment to doing something concrete about the Troost divide. I bet its cheaper than 2 miles of streetcar and even more effective in terms of spurning development.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote: I really, really, really wish someone in this city was visionary enough to make Troost a bike/ped/transit-only street from 24th to 63rd.
you're missing several really, really big things on that segment

Rockhurst, Stower's, UMKC
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I really, really, really wish someone in this city was visionary enough to make Troost a bike/ped/transit-only street from 24th to 63rd
A few decades ago they remade the main street in downtown KCK like that, except for the transit part, parking only in back, and so on. Believe that experiment failed.