Pepsi Ice Midwest

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Pepsi Ice Midwest

Post by Ez Street »

I heard yesterday that Ice Midwest in Overland Park is "closed" due to "rink repairs". Their website says check back for updates. I've heard that they will likely not pay for the repairs, as the cost would be substantial.

This puts the Kansas City Stars, Russel Stovers, Kansas City Curling Club and KU Hockey programs out on the street. Not too mention the other youth programs and such that occupy Ice Midwest.

This is a big hurt to teams as Ice prices will likely go up at other area rinks and will cause scheduling conflicts.

Has anyone else heard about this?
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Pepsi Ice Midwest

Post by droopy »

I heard about the closing "for a few weeks due to mechanical issues."  No clue on what repairs are needed or likelihood of them being done.  I know the other rinks in the metro are scrambling to try to accommodate all the ice time of the other teams in the area, although I'm sure there will be some casualties that are left without ice time.  I haven't heard great things in the past about the ownership/management of Pepsi Ice Midwest and are inline with the rumors you heard.  We shall see.  Hopefully everything is operational quickly and this is only a blip.  Things happen.  It would certainly hurt the momentum KC is having with youth hockey.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Iceland skating rink (owned by the Zamboni family) in Berkeley closed due to problems with some chemical used to make the ice.  They elected to close it rather than pay for the very expensive repairs.  I'm not sure ice rinks are very profitable.  I remember when an ice rink opened near Wyandotte County Lake.  We loved it.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

How's the new Independence rink doing?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

What is the future for the old King Louie on Metcalf? Are they tearing it down? Will someone buy it and refurbish it?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

dangerboy wrote: How's the new Independence rink doing?
Seems to be doing very well.  Their public skating sessions are packed and I have been told they earn about $3000 per session.  The Mavericks seem to do well for attendence as well.  Not sure what their bottomline looks like though. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Overland Park ice rink problem chills business
Lyn Shaw, owner of Pepsi Ice Midwest Skating and Training Center in Overland Park, said there is no truth to rumors that she is trying to sell the facility.

The ice rink suffered a huge blow last week when its ice plant ? a crucial piece of equipment ? stopped functioning properly. All the youth hockey teams and other groups that used the rink were told to make other arrangements.

droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

KCMax wrote: Overland Park ice rink problem chills business
Lyn Shaw, owner of Pepsi Ice Midwest Skating and Training Center in Overland Park, said there is no truth to rumors that she is trying to sell the facility.
The rumors are that she had buyers on the line but she didn't like the offer.  The buyers have kids playing at the facility that are now missing out on playing in the middle of the hockey season and inconvenienced.  The assumption is she is dragging her feet on getting things fixed to leverage the buyers into raising their offer. Who knows, rumors are just that.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

droopy wrote: The rumors are that she had buyers on the line but she didn't like the offer.  The buyers have kids playing at the facility that are now missing out on playing in the middle of the hockey season and inconvenienced.  The assumption is she is dragging her feet on getting things fixed to leverage the buyers into raising their offer. Who knows, rumors are just that.
Iceland (in Berkeley CA) also has a users group who are trying to buy and re-open the rink.  So far, they haven't been able to raise enough money to buy the building, much less make the very expensive repairs that caused the rink to close in the first place.  It was heavily used, even by the hockey team at UC Berkeley. People were renting ice time in the middle of the night.

There is a rink in Oakland CA that seems to be doing well.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

I can see them moving away from having hockey and doing more indoor sports. Last year they replaced the sand floors under the ice with concrete. That's not cheap, but it allows you to have non-ice events. If the repairs cost too much, I could see them ditching the ice and featuring basketball, indoor soccer and continue to have the fitness center there.

That's just my thoughts. I've heard the ice plant is Ammonia chilled, which may make the cost more. I'm not totally sure about that.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Ez Street wrote: I can see them moving away from having hockey and doing more indoor sports. Last year they replaced the sand floors under the ice with concrete. That's not cheap, but it allows you to have non-ice events. If the repairs cost too much, I could see them ditching the ice and featuring basketball, indoor soccer and continue to have the fitness center there.

That's just my thoughts. I've heard the ice plant is Ammonia chilled, which may make the cost more. I'm not totally sure about that.
Indoor arenas in California that are used for basketball, etc. have the ability to create an ice surface for the traveling ice shows.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCMax wrote: What is the future for the old King Louie on Metcalf? Are they tearing it down? Will someone buy it and refurbish it?
http://sunpublications.com/201101125585 ... empty.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

curlingkc
Surface Lot

Post by curlingkc »

Kansas City Curling Club finds new home at Line Creek Community Center

We will be there from now till August when we plan to have a bonspiel.

Learn, Play in a League.  Website: http://www.kccurling.com
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

KU's hockey team to now call Topeka home:

http://cjonline.com/blog-post/david-str ... entre-home
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

I hate to see ice rinks close.  I have fond memories of skating at the rink that was located near Wyandotte County Lake. 

We also used to skate on Big Eleven Lake in KCK.  That's probably not allowed due to liability issues.  Kids can't have fun anymore.