Union Station Bus Terminal?

Transportation topics in KC

How would you integrate intercity bus bays into Union Station?

On the front parking deck
14%
Below the front parking deck
43%
In parking lot across Main
3%
In parking lot west of station
20%
In the park & ride lot facing Pershing
11%
In the Freight House parking lot
3%
Other
6%

Total votes: 35

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Union Station Bus Terminal?

Post by DaveKCMO »

You have funding and approval to integrate 6-8 intercity bus (Greyhound, Megabus, etc.) bays into Union Station. You should consider cost, but also the connections with the LINK, Amtrak, commuter rail, and KCATA/JO buses. The parking deck is in a sorry state and needs repaired or replaced anyway. Where else could the bus bays go? Where would buses enter/exit the station? What traffic flow changes would be needed? Where would you put a ticket counter and arrival/departure displays? Would you move the existing Amtrak facility?

I don't want to hear from you if you don't think it can be done.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Union Station Bus Terminal?

Post by FangKC »

I think the bus service should be in the parking lot west of the planetarium, and the ticket office in the basement where that meeting room is now.
There is no fifth destination.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

the city's focus plan envisions an intermodal passenger terminal between main and grand.  kcata holds the right to use space for that purpose within a future building that might be constructed at that site (current pershing square i parking lot).  that right was negotiated in conjunction with the $24m federal transit grant for union station renovation.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why build a second intermodal passenger terminal in that lot, when you have a huge former transportation terminal sitting across the street that doesn't get enough pedestrian traffic as it is?

Perhaps the Harvey House restaurant wouldn't have closed had we at least had bus terminal passengers going through Union Station.
There is no fifth destination.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

enough wrote: the city's focus plan envisions an intermodal passenger terminal between main and grand.  kcata holds the right to use space for that purpose within a future building that might be constructed at that site (current pershing square i parking lot).  that right was negotiated in conjunction with the $24m federal transit grant for union station renovation.
just air rights? or the space at grade level as well?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Dave, this topic hasn't had any activity in awhile. I was wondering if there has been any movement on moving the bus terminal to Union Station?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i've yet to meet with US about this, but they're aware of the concept (and, presumably, the potential for federal funding). it's also been mentioned for 3rd & grand, and wherever KCATA lands with a new transit center in the CBD (10th & main isn't going to be around much longer).
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:i've yet to meet with US about this, but they're aware of the concept (and, presumably, the potential for federal funding). it's also been mentioned for 3rd & grand, and wherever KCATA lands with a new transit center in the CBD (10th & main isn't going to be around much longer).
Dave, slightly off-topic, but what is the plan for 10th and Main once the transit center moves?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcata owns it, so it's up to them. i assume they'd sell it to generate money for another transit center. i suspect mr. kemper would like a pocket park to stare down at from up on high (but never visit in person, of course). the conventional wisdom (unfortunately) is that it's too small to build on. ha!
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

What is the point of moving the city's main transit center, and thus where buses terminate and connect? Doesn't it make sense for it to be right where it is - in the center of the densest district in the city?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

That site is constrained and isn't even their top boarding location. They want to move to one or two sites on the edge of downtown, but inside the loop. Routes would continue to serve that spot, obviously.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Oh okay, I had missed where it was mentioned they're looking for a new spot within the CBD. That makes more sense.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I could see a parking garage built to the east of Union Station where OK St is today, reroute Walnut as a bus only road over the tracks into the garage for easy northern access, it already has good Grand access and good Union Station access for amtrak connections plus the streetcar stop. then put a bus terminal on the ground level of the garage
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

re: location of a new intermodal terminal:

repeating my post from 2005 (!):

the city's focus plan envisions an intermodal passenger terminal between main and grand. kcata holds the right to use space for that purpose within a future building that might be constructed at that site (current pershing square i parking lot). that right was negotiated in conjunction with the $24m federal transit grant for union station renovation.

addendum: my recollection is that kcata holds air rights from a few feet above the parking lot to about the level of grand.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Despite that, I still think using the lower level of Union Station for a bus terminal is a better idea. It makes that space more active, gives the riders a place to eat, and in the future, bus riders can more easily transfer to a commuter or Amtrak train.

Even though KCATA has rights to the east Pershing lot, that wouldn't have anything to do with moving the bus terminal (used by Greyhound, et al.) to/around Union Station, would it? Does KCATA and current bus terminal have some sort of agreement or contract that will move their operations to a KCATA facility?

Or would the KCATA facility just be for city only transit?
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

DaveKCMO wrote:That site is constrained and isn't even their top boarding location. They want to move to one or two sites on the edge of downtown, but inside the loop. Routes would continue to serve that spot, obviously.
Is it safe to assume it will be on the streetcar route? If so, the only places there are vacant lots are near the north loop.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Did anything ever become of this idea (mostly @Dave, but if anyone else knows)? The team at UrbanLab and I stumbled upon this idea and did a little field trip to explore the possibilities. We’re working on coming up with a rendering for what could work there, but the interlining with the SC would be a huge plus in that site, especially for visitors
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Below ground would be ideal
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:08 am Below ground would be ideal
That’s our intention, as the stairwell to the plaza level, and an elevator bay exist adjacent to where you could build platforms, and with O.K. Street being the access point, the entire system could function really well, especially for express services from the highway
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:16 am
normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:08 am Below ground would be ideal
That’s our intention, as the stairwell to the plaza level, and an elevator bay exist adjacent to where you could build platforms, and with O.K. Street being the access point, the entire system could function really well, especially for express services from the highway
My top suggestion would be something in North Loop where you could access east/west rail below ground. N/S Rail above on Grand. Bus lanes below. And N/S Main Streetcar on Main.